PDA

View Full Version : How much $ could i get for my Spikes Tactical ST-15 LE Carbine Length Upper?

NiceandKozy8
11-02-14, 10:56
Hey Guys,

I purchased my Spikes Tactical ST-15 LE upper about 2 years ago. I have only put about 400 rounds through the gun and it has worked great. Not a single issue, but recently I have been looking to upgrade pieces on my ar. BCM seems to be one of the most respected brands in the market and gets lots of love on this forum. They seem to be having good deals on their website and as I look through their options I think I want to upgrade my spikes with one of their uppers. I would only be able to make this happen if I sell my current spikes upper. My question is, what is a reasonable amount of money I could expect to get for spikes? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

.46caliber
11-02-14, 11:24
Poke around the Equipment Exchange here and see what others are going for.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Iraqgunz
11-02-14, 12:03
Is your Spikes not doing it? You said you haven't had any issues and considering you have only fired 400 rounds in 2 years maybe you should just keep it.

Also the market is pretty crappy so be prepared to lose out especially since you purchased yours during the panic.

scoutfsu99
11-02-14, 12:15
$250-300

mrjinglesusa
11-02-14, 12:42
Upgrade for what purpose? What isn't your Spike's upper doing that you need it to do that you think a BCM upper will do better/differently? Do you want a longer barrel, shorter barrel, different gas system (rifle, carbine, etc.), different rail, etc.?

From the sound of your post, it sounds like you just want an upper from a brand that gets more recognition and "love" on the forums. That's not a reason to upgrade IMO.

I have uppers from Colt, Spike's, and BCM. They all do the job they are intended to do, which is to accurately and reliably put the round where I want it. The only reason I buy new uppers is to get a different combination of barrel length, gas system, rail system, etc. to use the upper for a different purpose than the one(s) I already have, e.g, competition, home defense, range use, etc.

If you have had no issues with your Spike's and only put 400 rounds through it in 2 years, IMO there is no reason to "upgrade" it just to get a different brand name, especially if you need to sell the Spike's to pay for the upgrade and even more especially if all you do is take it to the range to shoot paper. If that's what you use the Spike's for, you likely won't notice one iota of difference between the Spike's and a BCM upper.

To answer your question - you won't get nearly what you paid for it and likely won't get enough out of it to buy a BCM upper. Maybe $300-400 if you're lucky and can find a buyer. Only way to really know is to put it on the EE at what you think you want for it, leave it for a week or two, and see if you get any interest/offers. If not, lower the price and repeat.

BufordTJustice
11-02-14, 12:52
I understand wanting the BCM. Keep the Spikes until it's closer to a sellers market.

NiceandKozy8
11-02-14, 13:08
Yes all good feedback, I haven't made a decision to buy the Bcm. Just wanted to get some ideas of what it could be worth. The only real reason for upgrading would be to get a mid length gas system and no fsp so I could put a free floated rail system on the gun. But judging from most of the feed back I will just stick with this set up and get real use out of it. Thanks for the input

3 AE
11-02-14, 13:10
Any particular BCM upper you are interested in? They range from $439-$900+. Would give us a better idea if it's worth selling your upper.

ETA: Never mind. Just saw your post to keep your upper as is. Take the money you save and buy quality spare parts for your carbine. A spare BCM bolt assembly, buffer spring, cam pin, bolt rebuild kit, would be a prudent investment. Did I mention what a quality addition and a bargain an Aimpoint PRO red dot sight would be to your rifle? No? Well that and a two day class would be most beneficial for your karma! :D

RussB
11-02-14, 13:24
Any particular BCM upper you are interested in? They range from $439-$900+. Would give us a better idea if it's worth selling your upper.

ETA: Never mind. Just saw your post to keep your upper as is. Take the money you save and buy quality spare parts for your carbine. A spare BCM bolt assembly, buffer spring, cam pin, bolt rebuild kit, would be a prudent investment. Did I mention what a quality addition and a bargain an Aimpoint PRO red dot sight would be to your rifle? No? Well that and a two day class would be most beneficial for your karma! :D

With a round count of 200 per year, could you please elaborate how swapping those parts would be beneficial?

I do understand how a quality optic would be a great upgrade

3 AE
11-02-14, 13:32
With a round count of 200 per year, could you please elaborate how swapping those parts would be beneficial?

The spare parts are just that, spare parts. To be used when needed. Parts break regardless of round count. The OP might end up shooting more than just 200/year. Either way, not having a basic spare parts kit should "Murphy's Law" make an appearance is something I would rather prevent.

NiceandKozy8
11-02-14, 13:32
Definitely agree with the optic. I would like to get more involved in serious shooting. That being said I was merely just trying to get feedback on what could be expected in value for my current upper. If I did decide to upgrade i would probably like to get a mid length gas system and no fsp in order to free float the rail. That is really the reason for even thinking about swapping.

mrjinglesusa
11-02-14, 13:33

I understood his post to mean buying those as spare parts to have around, not as upgrades.

RussB
11-02-14, 13:51
The spare parts are just that, spare parts. To be used when needed. Parts break regardless of round count. The OP might end up shooting more than just 200/year. Either way, not having a basic spare parts kit should "Murphy's Law" make an appearance is something I would rather prevent.

Understood

GH41
11-02-14, 14:00
$2-250 at most around here. Like others said... put in the safe until the market goes nuts again. I promise you it will happen again!

Kain
11-02-14, 14:18
If you want a BCM upper, buy it! Now is the time. I suggest personally something in a middy flavor, but that is up to you. As far as the Spikes upper goes, gun market is soft, especially the AR market, and the secondary market is damn hard at the moment. As other have said, you would be much better served in keeping the Spikes upper. I personally would just buy the BCM upper I wanted, and then either build a new lower for the BCM upper or a second lower to ride the Spikes on.

Franchise
11-02-14, 14:38
417 bucks new with "upper15" coupon code
https://www.primaryarms.com/Spikes_Tactical_16_ST_15_M4_LE_Upper_Receiver_5_p/stu5025-m4s.htm

SteveL
11-02-14, 14:58
Just shave the FSB and change the handguard on your existing upper.

Casull
11-02-14, 15:08
In the upper 300's maybe 400 flat. It's actually a really good upper, though. Why don't you keep it and turn it into something useful? Ex. Backup carbine, Dedicated .22LR

NiceandKozy8
11-02-14, 15:09
Ya from everything I have heard today, I'll probably just keep and put some upgrades on the existing gun. And when it's time for something new or funds are more readily available I will get another.

Franchise
11-02-14, 15:12
I have 2 spikes uppers. Eats everything I feed it. Keep it lubed and cleaned which should be sop on any brand upper

Eurodriver
11-02-14, 15:12
Ya from everything I have heard today, I'll probably just keep and put some upgrades on the existing gun. And when it's time for something new or funds are more readily available I will get another.

The best upgrade you could do for that weapon is to keep it as-is and increase the round count by 10.

This way, when you want to "upgrade" you will know which parts work for you and which don't. You'll have a much better understanding of what positions you use most often, and what tools you need to accomplish whatever it is you need to accomplish.

Too many people throw a 2.5-10x Nightforce optic on their AR because that's what they see the cool kids do. But the cool kids are out shooting in open fields in Afghanistan, and they are using their AR to hunt in thick Texas brush and would be much better served with a 1-4x and putting the $1,000 savings in their IRA.

buckkiller35
11-02-14, 23:56
It seems people are telling you to just keep your upper. You asked what you could sell the Spikes for and I would say around $300. If you want a BCM for what ever reason then go for it.

JusticeM4
11-03-14, 01:32
Just a curious question: Why only 200rds a year?

That's a day of shooting for some folks here; some would even say light shooting.

Is this a backup rifle, or do you just not have time to shoot?

NiceandKozy8
11-03-14, 09:54
Mostly just a lack of time, and not being a member of a gun club/range. I would have to travel over an hr and a half to a public place to go shooting and didn't have the proper equipment to make it a worthwhile experience a lot of the time. I would like to get into shooting more seriously and take some carbine classes and things like that. So I fully expect the round count to increase greatly in the coming months.

TMS951
11-03-14, 15:17
I'd buy an optic and ammo.

200rnds is what I shoot each range trip, minimum. I try to go once a week, unfortunately with life getting in the way often that ends up about 1.5 times a month with a couple classes a year thrown in.

An Aimpoint PRO, while not something I own, seems a good buy. LAV has also indicated Aimpoint is releasing an even more budget conscious optic.

While I really don't like Spikes's branding they seem to have some decent product at fair prices.

justin_247
11-04-14, 09:10

Good choice. You have a good upper. Money would be better spent on an Aimpoint PRO along with more ammo and a range membership.

NiceandKozy8
11-04-14, 10:25
It seems the general consensus is to go for an aimpoint pro. Any thoughts on eotech xps 2? I do like the micros but I couldn't justify spending 700+ on a red dot right now.

Broko
11-04-14, 21:01
If all you want to do is put a free float handrail on, just take off your fsb and put a low profile gas block on and then a free float. That's what I did with my carbine.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/04/8f533cf8b263d48f169dd5c17c345a69.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HighDesert
11-04-14, 22:18
Spikes makes a good upper despite what people on here think... And the customer service is pretty great.

I own a complete spikes and a complete BCM and a half spikes half BCM. They are all wonderful shooters.

Try to sell that upper locally if you can - here in Phoenix you could easily get $400+ for that upper.

Oh how times change - during the post sandy hook panic I sold a 16" Spikes complete middy upper for $1,300 on Gunbroker.

ennbeegunny15
11-04-14, 23:07
Like most have said, add the rail and an optic. Soft market. Or keep it shoot it and get a BCM upper. Good deals to be found.