PDA

View Full Version : 7.5" bbl?

Armati
06-22-08, 22:28
Who can tell me about them? Why? Why not? Pros and cons? Ballistics? I am looking to build a light, compact, PDW that is also practical. I know flash and bast would be fierce.

Also, any thoughts on using a reflex type suppressor on this sort of a thing?

BookHound
06-25-08, 09:15
Don't use a can with a barrel shorter than 10". If you do, it is not a matter of "if", but a matter of "when" you have baffle strikes.

AR barrels less than 10" to me are loud toys. Just my opinion. We recently chronographed some ammo from a 10" 416 and velocities were betwenn 2650 and just under 2800 fps depending on ammo.

Mark

markm
06-25-08, 09:30
Barrels that short are silly nonsense in my opinion. Even as a range toy I find it dumb.

If that level of shortness is needed, a subgun set up would be better.

Carbineoholic
06-25-08, 17:10
Barrels that short are silly nonsense in my opinion. Even as a range toy I find it dumb.

If that level of shortness is needed, a subgun set up would be better.

+1. Pure goofy.

Polymerhead
07-01-08, 20:18
I like mine. 7.5" gets you about 2500 fps with a 55 gr bullet, so I'm probably getting about 2400 fps with Hornady 60 gr TAP/VMax rounds. I don't expect proper terminal performance at 100 yards with Mil-Std ammo, but no one tells me I have to run Mil-Std ammo. More than enough to get wicked expanion out a ways with the polymer-tipped bullets. I wouldn't feel undergunned with it at living room distances at all.

Sabre675
07-02-08, 00:01
Noveske Diplomat would be the only one I would trust. Even Pat Rogers said he was amazed at how the one that Wes Grant at M.S.T.N. ran like a clock throughout his entire course. Other then that I'd say no. I have been tempted myself in the 7.5 Noveske for work. Still well under a minute with good ammo.

Stephen_H
07-02-08, 14:20
If you chamber a 7.5" gun for 6.8mm SPC you will still have more energy at 100 yards than an 14.5" M4 has at the muzzle. The LWRC M6A2 PSD (8" barrel)adds the reliability of a piston operating system to the equation (one of the biggest issues for carbines with barrels <11.5").

Stephen

Armati
07-06-08, 09:56
If you chamber a 7.5" gun for 6.8mm SPC you will still have more energy at 100 yards than an 14.5" M4 has at the muzzle. The LWRC M6A2 PSD (8" barrel)adds the reliability of a piston operating system to the equation (one of the biggest issues for carbines with barrels <11.5").

Stephen

Cool. Good info.

LWRC's site is a little light on info about PSD. I did find this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHreIMu1d6M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM1SntQ7s7k&feature=related

How do you get one? They are not on their sight. Are they in 5.56? Yes, the 6.8 would be nice but I get most of my 5.56 for free.

It does not seem that flash and blast are any worse than on a regular 10" bbl.

Broadway
07-06-08, 13:42
Unfortunately you can't get anything direct from LWRC right now due to their move. Their forum indicates back orders of a year in some cases. I'm at 7 months myself so it's a matter of patience.

9mmkungfu
07-16-08, 22:49
I've talked with Steve @ Adco about 7.5" uppers. He's run thousands of rounds through his, suppressed, with no issues. I know quite a few others who run the DPMS Kitty Kat setup with no issues.

They're fun, and for some, that's what it's all about.