PDA

View Full Version : which muzzle brake for Daniel Defense MK18?

Proteus
11-02-14, 14:27
its a 10.3 inch barrel

ideally i'd have a suppressor but i cant because i dont live in America (california)
ive shot it a couple times (with ear pro of course)
it didnt really seem too much louder or concussive than my 16 inch AR

maybe its hard to tell with ear pro? i dont know

however, if i were to switch out the brake, does anyone have any recommendations?

i do like the look of larger diameter can-looking brake or should i just not mess with it?
maybe someone here has some hands on experience with this upper?

and for anyone wondering i absolutely love this gun. after about 200 rounds so far, not
a single hiccup with brass or steel.

:D

TBL467
11-02-14, 15:45
If you enjoy it as-is, then keep it as-is. Nothing wrong with the good ol' A2.

HKGuns
11-02-14, 16:02
If it is working for you there is no reason to change and you don't state what you are trying to accomplish, other than spending money.

The A2 on the MK18 is not a brake, it is a flash suppressor. I can't stand brakes, especially when they are more or less completely unnecessary on 556 rifles, unless you're in some competition where you're at a disadvantage if not using one.

The only flash suppressor I would switch an A2 out for would be the BE Meyers 249F. But that really isn't a necessary upgrade.

Tomac
11-02-14, 16:31
What characteristics are most important to you? Flash suppression? Redirection of muzzle blast? Concussion reduction? Muzzle rise compensation? If you want to direct the blast forward and reduce concussion to yourself and adjacent shooters, take a look at Griffin Armament's new linear compensator: http://www.griffinarmament.com/M4SD-5-56-Linear-Comp-1-2x28-p/xhp556lc.htm
HTH, keep us posted...
Tomac

VIP3R 237
11-02-14, 16:40
Guys he is in Cali, you can't have a flash suppressor on your rifle so he is stuck with a comp or brake.

Plasman
11-02-14, 17:12
Guys he is in Cali, you can't have a flash suppressor on your rifle so he is stuck with a comp or brake.

Only if it's a featureless rifle. Since he has a MK18 upper it either means 1) it's an AR pistol, thus not featureless to begin with and he can have a flash suppressor on there, or 2) it's a registered assault weapon SBR, which is also unrestricted in what muzzle device he wants to put on.

I have a flash suppressor on my 11.5" AR pistol in CA.

HKGuns
11-02-14, 17:50

Huh? If he has a MK18 he has one.

VIP3R 237
11-02-14, 17:53
Sorry I didnt read all the way. My bad!

BufordTJustice
11-02-14, 20:03
The precision armament EFAB. I'm biased.

SilverBullet432
11-02-14, 20:08
MB556K /thread.

kevN
11-02-14, 20:47
I have ran a Battlecomp 1.0 & standard A2 on my DD MK18 upper. The BC isn't much worse outside, but on an indoor range it's pretty crazy. The A2 is the way to go for me.

No suppressor love in MN either :(

HighDesert
11-02-14, 21:46
I use a Ranier Arms mini comp and I am very please.

It is shorter than the A2 so add almost no length and it works very well to control muzzle rise.

With that said, I am not bothered by the concussion at all, but people next to me...

Proteus
11-03-14, 00:31
thanks guys!

ill check out everything suggested

yes its an AR pistol...

i realize now i didnt say what improvement i was looking for

its my understanding an aftermarket brake or comp might combat muzzle rise
and/or cut down on concussion (not that ive noticed much but those next to me may
have) not to mention improving the overall look of the weapon (the least important
factor)

kevN
11-03-14, 09:11
Any break or comp is going to increase concussion and sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

teutonicpolymer
11-03-14, 09:49
Miculek Brake (under $40)

I do not notice more noise or concussiob behind brakes but I sure do when I am next to them

jpmuscle
11-03-14, 15:14
As a point of interest how does the KAC MAMS fair on SBR/pistol length barrels?

mildot
11-03-14, 16:33
The precision armament EFAB. I'm biased.

This ^^

KING_PALM
11-03-14, 20:45

That's odd. No one told me.. should I get rid of my flash hiders on all my guns?

Sent from my shop couch!

pingdork
11-04-14, 02:39
That's odd. No one told me.. should I get rid of my flash hiders on all my guns?

Sent from my shop couch!
You can have flash hiders, pistol grips, vfg, adj stocks if you have a mag locking device, aka "bullet button". If you wanted to ditch the bullet button and go featureless your ar would look like this.http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/04/34d1b9519cb1ebf6b102b7cf0c87a611.jpg

justin_247
11-04-14, 09:04
thanks guys!

ill check out everything suggested

yes its an AR pistol...

i realize now i didnt say what improvement i was looking for

its my understanding an aftermarket brake or comp might combat muzzle rise
and/or cut down on concussion (not that ive noticed much but those next to me may
have) not to mention improving the overall look of the weapon (the least important
factor)

The A2 bird cage is superior to just about every single muzzle brake / comp on the market when it comes to minimizing concussion.

Muzzle brakes on short rifles are awful for pretty much everybody around you. If you run the gun suppressed all the time, it's a non-issue, but it's not a good idea otherwise. If you doubt me, find somebody to shoot the gun standing next to you with a muzzle brake attached, and let me know how you feel afterward.

KING_PALM
11-04-14, 10:19
You can have flash hiders, pistol grips, vfg, adj stocks if you have a mag locking device, aka "bullet button". If you wanted to ditch the bullet button and go featureless your ar would look like this.http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/04/34d1b9519cb1ebf6b102b7cf0c87a611.jpg

I also post on CGN....

Sent from my shop couch!

pingdork
11-04-14, 10:30
I also post on CGN....

Sent from my shop couch!
I used to. Been out of CA a few years now. There's always a lot of confusion re CA's laws because well, they're confusing.

KING_PALM
11-04-14, 10:31
I used to. Been out of CA a few years now. There's always a lot of confusion re CA's laws because well, they're confusing.

I became an FFL07 in ca... It really does make my head hurt.

Sent from my shop couch!