PDA

View Full Version : 1st AR build

a1madrid
11-02-14, 17:25
I am currently looking at parts for my first AR build and had a few questions. First of all, I am currently looking at the Magpul Gen 2 back up sights. I know that the first generation magpul back up sights had some issues with being able to hold their zero. I think the gen 2 sights are still made of polymer but does anyone know of these sights having issues keeping their zero? And secondly, I am looking for a 12 inch free floating quadrail or modular rail. Does anyone know which ones are good for the price? I want something lightweight... I am pretty new to all of this, so no hate please.

TehLlama
11-02-14, 18:16
I am currently looking at parts for my first AR build and had a few questions. First of all, I am currently looking at the Magpul Gen 2 back up sights. I know that the first generation magpul back up sights had some issues with being able to hold their zero. I think the gen 2 sights are still made of polymer but does anyone know of these sights having issues keeping their zero? And secondly, I am looking for a 12 inch free floating quadrail or modular rail. Does anyone know which ones are good for the price? I want something lightweight... I am pretty new to all of this, so no hate please.

Google Site Search. Was recommended in the other thread I replied to - you'll want to do a lot more reading to make good use of this site, otherwise the quality of information you encounter is limited by only those with the patience to do the google legwork for you and going to provide, and eventually that becomes hit or miss.

The Gen2 MBUS are polymer, the PRO folding irons are steel - both are top of the class for retaining zero (the polymer MBUS impressively so), either are excellent.

Handguard needs more information - free float from scratch, or on stock barrel nut? How lightweight is lightweight?
For existing barrel nut the Centurion C4 12.0 is a winner (or even from scratch). Among quad-rail setups the LiteII is the next leader in lightweight. For modular rail, it opens up even more to Geissele, BCM KMR, Noveske NSR, MidwestIndustries SS-KM, KAC URX3.1/4, Centurion CMR, and quite a few others - you'll be choosing between custom modular setups (KAC URX3, PRI, Centurion CMR, TROY Alpha, VTAC, MI SS-K), MOE/M-LOK (Geissele, Aero, and Magpul have those), and Keymod (NSR, KMR, Geissele, URX4, MI SS-KM).

What's your budget? What do you consider to be worth more value to go over/under budget for? Do you need to clear specific other parts (suppressor, clamp-on gas block, or FSP)?

There you go, commence internet research.

Gentleart
11-02-14, 18:24
The G2 MBUS are fine and will hold zero, there are of course better options if you're willing to spend the money. Price will be a big factor in the type of free float rail you will want, also what else is your build going to consist of? No hate at all, but there are tons of threads on builds etc, you could do some searching, get some ideas of items you'd be interested in and report back. Right now it's a little vague and we need a little more information.