PDA

View Full Version : For the sake of discussion, help me choose XD 45 vs Beretta 92 Elite II

THellURider
09-20-06, 22:15
So I'm in a pistol buying mood.

Before anyone says anything; I carry a Glock daily, a G23 to be exact. It is the only true defensive handgun I have. I have .22's, 44 revolvers etc. Only other thing, other than the 2 choices listed, I could see purchasing at this point is a G19.

I'm NOT INTERESTED IN A 1911 at this point. Eventually, yes, but not now. Had one, sold it and I'm happy.

So here is my thought process:

XD 45 Tactical: 45acp and 13 rounds that is A LOT of firepower, 5" barrel, It'd make a great house/apt gun with a light under it and would be great for shooting IDPA/IPSC what have you. I loved my XD9 I had.

Beretta 92 Elite II: I've always wanted one. It's what the 92 should have been. No manual safety, decocker only, and its plain good looking. Just something to add to my collection; doesn't serve any particular purpose.

Boom
09-20-06, 22:26
So I'm in a pistol buying mood. I should probably know better than to post this on ARFCOM but ehhh, I got nothing better to do.

Before anyone says anything; I carry a Glock daily, a G23 to be exact. It is the only true defensive handgun I have. I have .22's, 44 revolvers etc. Only other thing, other than the 2 choices listed, I could see purchasing at this point is a G19.

I'm NOT INTERESTED IN A 1911 at this point. Eventually, yes, but not now. Had one, sold it and I'm happy.

So here is my thought process:

XD 45 Tactical: 45acp and 13 rounds that is A LOT of firepower, 5" barrel, It'd make a great house/apt gun with a light under it and would be great for shooting IDPA/IPSC what have you. I loved my XD9 I had.

Beretta 92 Elite II: I've always wanted one. It's what the 92 should have been. No manual safety, decocker only, and its plain good looking. Just something to add to my collection; doesn't serve any particular purpose.

Well this is M4Carbine.net not Arfcom but I understand. As to which gun its really up to you. I like the Bereatta Elite series, I'm a Glock man like you but if I had to choose between the Beretta and XD I would choose the Beretta.

THellURider
09-20-06, 22:27
oops Fixed it...

:D :p

Nitrox
09-20-06, 23:41
I have shot several pistol matches, a ton of range days, and the '06 iron man with an XD9...I have yet to clean the pistol from round one and have never had a failure. I have another two XD9 cubcompacts that have been carried for 4 years each and neither have had a malfunction (one is in my wife's purse with all the other shit she keeps in there). I understand they are not an XD45 (they are based on the HS2000) but I would choose the XD45 over the Beretta with NO reservations what so ever.

Business_Casual
09-21-06, 07:24
Just my opinion, but you would have less muscle memory problems between the XD and the Glock.

That said, why pay almost as much for a pistol that is not a Glock when you could buy a G19? I'm just saying it makes more sense from a training perspective to have a matching carry pistol and the cheaper 9mm means more practice. At the end of the day, .45 ball is only about 10-20 fpe stronger than 9mm and twice the price...

Now that I've said that, I'll admit I've been using a 1911 for weeks now and haven't picked up my Glock for quite a while. :D

M_P

BravoCompanyUSA
09-21-06, 07:37
Those two choices are very different, from caliber, to features, to feel, etc...
So its kinda hard to compare one to the other.

But you mentioned using it for home defense. I would say the XD45 would be the better choice in that scenerio. More powerfull (45acp), more similar feel to your carry Glock, can leave the light attached, etc..

Robb Jensen
09-21-06, 07:49
Beretta vs XD is definately and apples to oranges comparison. :confused:

I like Berettas and shoot them pretty well. I dislike the XD, mostly for the high bore axis. This is probably due from shooting a lot of 1911s, 2011s and Glocks. I really like the new Smith & Wesson M&P. It's bore axis is lower in the hand than a Glock (at least in my hand). I can shoot it as fast and accurately as my $2400.00 custom built STI. I may put the STI down next year and just shoot Production with this M&P9.

High bore axis makes for more muzzle flip and to me it makes the pistol not settle back down exactly in the same spot. Which makes me shoot them slower.

Sam
09-21-06, 08:07
Sometimes one would have to choose between an apple and an orage. :)

In this case, I'd go for the Elite II. I like Berettas, I think they got a bad rap due to some M9 failures in the military because they don't get maintained and bad magazines. For years I didn't care for the Pizza guns until such great shooters like Langdon, Harrington, Haught, Green, etc. demonstrated that training and practice can help a shooter overcome the DA/SA transition and shoot the M9 extremely well.

THellURider
09-21-06, 09:18
I'm not sure everyone is understanding what I'm saying. I, full and well, realize it's sort of an apples to oranges comparison.

The Beretta would be for adding to my collection. I have always wanted one; I can't explain it. It would never be a primary defensive handgun for me.

Yes, the XD is more practical and serves my muscle memory better. I also do shoot IDPA on occasion, and that .45 ACP bangs plates better than anything else.

Ya, eventually I will get a G19, but I kinda would like something different right now.

"For the sake of discussion..." I understand the technical merits of each.

Bulldog1967
09-21-06, 10:55
Well I have an Elite II, that GotM4 did some work on actually, and I took it to a Blackwater class and did pretty well with it.

Great gun. With the heavier slide, it makes the already soft-shooting 9mm feel like a .32, IMO.

That being said, I am seriously thinking about trading it for a G19.

Why?

Because my normal everyday "go-to" is a G17, and for practical reasons a G19 would be better for memory/concealment purposes.

YMMV.

Nathan_Bell
09-24-06, 18:10
I like my XD45 4" as my cold weather concelament gun, it fits in most of my coats with out sagging them anymore than all the other junk I carry does.

As for the muscle memory thing, I suck transitioning from my G21 to the XD. I do better going from the Glock to a 1911 than to the XD. Think it is the fact that they are so much alike that I can't teach my hand to pull the trigger the extra bit it takes for my XD to go bang. WIth the 1911, the different manual of arms must be enough to make it go bang when i get on target.