PDA

View Full Version : SPR Bipod with Keymod rail...

mrvip27
11-03-14, 22:22
What are you guys using for a harris bipod for your keymod rails?

I am installing the new DD Slim Rail for my SPR style build and need advice on how to mount a Harris...

What mount works best? IWC? Noveske? Do you have to remove the rail and install?

Thanks

Koshinn
11-03-14, 22:25
Noveske bipod stud for the troy trx works well, no need to remove the rail if you mount it near the front like you should be anyway.

el_chingoton13
11-03-14, 22:31
I'm using the IWC, kind of a pain to install but it works well and is about as low profile as it gets.

mrvip27
11-03-14, 23:32
What size Harris do you use? 6-9 or 9-13?

el_chingoton13
11-03-14, 23:34
What size Harris do you use? 6-9 or 9-13?

I use a 6-9.

mrvip27
11-03-14, 23:35
I use a 6-9.

Does it work well? Got a pic?

el_chingoton13
11-03-14, 23:44
Does it work well? Got a pic?

It does and I can post a pic in the morning.

mrvip27
11-03-14, 23:46
It does and I can post a pic in the morning.

Thanks!

TexanInCali
11-04-14, 01:30
Odinworks has an interesting low profile KeyMod mount.

http://www.odinworks.com/ODIN_Works_K_Pod_p/acc-k-pod.htm

I had one of the IWC mounts. It isn't really a proper KeyMod mount. It's more that their existing mount sort of works for KeyMod, so they market it as compatible. I had to remove the KMR in order to install it. Not sure if that will be necessary for your DD rail.

I like other IWC products, but this one was very disappointing. I ended up just throwing it away as I decided to go with an Atlas bipod instead of the Harris.

mrvip27
11-04-14, 06:43
Well what route would you go again in this situation? What other options do I have?

Odinworks has an interesting low profile KeyMod mount.

http://www.odinworks.com/ODIN_Works_K_Pod_p/acc-k-pod.htm

I had one of the IWC mounts. It isn't really a proper KeyMod mount. It's more that their existing mount sort of works for KeyMod, so they market it as compatible. I had to remove the KMR in order to install it. Not sure if that will be necessary for your DD rail.

I like other IWC products, but this one was very disappointing. I ended up just throwing it away as I decided to go with an Atlas bipod instead of the Harris.

Onyx Z
11-04-14, 08:04
I use the Noveske sling stud on my NSR's and KMR. You do have to remove the rail to install, but it's a one time deal so it's nothing. Though I have been throwing around the idea of using a QD mount on a rail section and removing the entire assembly when not using the bipod...

markm
11-04-14, 10:01
I decided to go with an Atlas bipod instead of the Harris.

Bingo! ;)

Koshinn
11-04-14, 10:04
I use the Noveske sling stud on my NSR's and KMR. You do have to remove the rail to install, but it's a one time deal so it's nothing. Though I have been throwing around the idea of using a QD mount on a rail section and removing the entire assembly when not using the bipod...

You really don't have to remove your rail. Just use a long screwdriver to position it. It takes a few seconds at most.

Onyx Z
11-04-14, 10:11
You really don't have to remove your rail. Just use a long screwdriver to position it. It takes a few seconds at most.

I tried that, but the gas block is right above the sling stud. It's pretty tight in there. I actually had to grind down the backing plate to have enough clearance.

Koshinn
11-04-14, 10:44
I tried that, but the gas block is right above the sling stud. It's pretty tight in there. I actually had to grind down the backing plate to have enough clearance.

How is the gas block that near the muzzle? Or do you have a rail not near the length of your barrel?

Onyx Z
11-04-14, 12:41
How is the gas block that near the muzzle? Or do you have a rail not near the length of your barrel?

13.5 NSR and intermediate gas on an 18" barrel puts the GB just inside of the handguard right where anyone would want a bipod.

mrvip27
11-04-14, 12:46
Does the atlas have a direct keymod option?

markm
11-04-14, 12:50
Does the atlas have a direct keymod option?

None that I've seen yet. That would be about as good as it could get.

mrvip27
11-04-14, 13:02
None that I've seen yet. That would be about as good as it could get.

So either way I'm stuck with the mount options listed?

markm
11-04-14, 13:41
So either way I'm stuck with the mount options listed?

Well... with the atlas, you just use one of the pic rail sections.

My point is that going to the trouble of getting a mount stud in place for the damned Harris is nuts.

el_chingoton13
11-04-14, 13:55
Here are the pictures.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/el_chingoton13/IWCStud-3_zpsda2991f7.jpg

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b188/el_chingoton13/IWCStud-1_zpsafa07dc4.jpg

mrvip27
11-04-14, 21:30
Well... with the atlas, you just use one of the pic rail sections.

My point is that going to the trouble of getting a mount stud in place for the damned Harris is nuts.

So if I get an Atlas, I just use a keymod pic rail?

and thanks el_chingoton13!

Will_Power
11-04-14, 21:37
What are you guys using for a harris bipod for your keymod rails?

I am installing the new DD Slim Rail for my SPR style build and need advice on how to mount a Harris...

What mount works best? IWC? Noveske? Do you have to remove the rail and install?

Thanks

I've got a 12" Seeking SP3R (the flat-bottomed one) with a flip-up gas block/sight. I first tried the Primary Weapons Keymod mount, but found it took up too much space and set the mount too far back for my taste.

I've since gone to the super-minimalist Noveske mount. It's small and allows me to mount the bipod as far forward as possible. However, I'm finding that it has a propensity to unscrew itself ever so slightly where the bipod will twist and turn. This would be problematic if I was in a hard-use situation. For the target practice and occasional predator hunting, it'll do for now.

Leftie
11-04-14, 22:56
I have an Odin Works K-Pod adapter that works well for me to attach a Harris bipod to my Keymod rails (KMR and NSR). I chose the K-Pod over the Noveske and IWC options for two reasons: I didn't want to spend time removing my rail to position the nut directly under the gas block, and I also felt that the K-Pod design was less prone to breakage as the design is more protected than the standard bipod stud.

So far I like it, but had a couple of issues with it when trying to mount the K-Pod under a gas block: The mounting screws that the K-Pod is supplied with are too long to fit directly flush with the Keymod nuts when they are tightened down. I solved this by replacing them with a pair of 3/16" long screws (if I recall correctly. It could have been 1/8") that fit just under the gas block with just enough clearance between the gas block and the hardware to prevent them from touching. The supplied hardware is an issue that I would really like to see Odin Works fix in their upcoming production models.

My second issue is more one of personal preference than one of importance: using the K-Pod to mount a Harris bipod offsets the bipod from direct contact with the rail surface by about 1/2". Those are my only two concerns and observations.

I really like the fact that I can install the K-Pod on either one of my uppers in a matter of seconds, and that I haven't broken it so far (I break everything).

I'd be happy to provide pictures if it helps.

rero360
11-04-14, 23:04
So if I get an Atlas, I just use a keymod pic rail?

and thanks el_chingoton13!

Yup, same goes with the GG&G bipods as well.

TexanInCali
11-04-14, 23:41
Well what route would you go again in this situation? What other options do I have?

A lot of it is up to taste. Some folks prefer Atlas, some Harris or other brands. I'd highly recommend actually trying them out in person before buying.

I drove an hour and a half to the only place in the area that had the Atlas in stock. If I was going to spend nearly $300 on a bipod, I wanted to see what was so darn special about it. The store let me try it on a bolt action they had with a rail. I inspected it for about a minute and bought it. The excellent build quality and design were immediately apparent. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Harris though. You might like it better.

If I was going to go with a Harris, I'd probably opt for the Odin Works mount. The IWC mount is so disappointing, it actually pissed me off. I have several of their other products, which are great, but their "KeyMod" bipod mount is BS. I don't know about the Noveske.

For the Atlas, I use a plastic BCM KeyMod strip. If you do opt for the Atlas, get the American Defense Manufacturing QD mount option. It's a really nice mount that works on every kind of rail I've tried it with. I'm switching all my optics to ADM mounts. Their lever setup is just nice.

Airhasz
11-04-14, 23:59
Larue QD mounted Atlas on BCM rail piece here, works fine with zero problems.

tuckerman725
11-05-14, 06:23
You can use a Harris with an ARMS mount and then use a rail section

Koshinn
11-05-14, 09:14
13.5 NSR and intermediate gas on an 18" barrel puts the GB just inside of the handguard right where anyone would want a bipod.

Ah. Get a 15" nsr lol.

kdcgrohl
11-05-14, 12:16
Slight thread tangent, since I've seen both mentioned...

Is ADM or Larue the better mount for an Atlas?

thecolter
11-05-14, 12:23
It's not a KMR, but the concept would be the same...

I'm running a Geissele SMR and a Harris 6-9" bipod. I used an American Defense QD mount attached to one of the SMR rail sections.

Using a keymod rail section would accomplish the same thing while also allowing you to easily remove and swap the bipod back and forth between rifles like I do.

https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5600/15522365442_8d446e0ecf_h.jpg

markm
11-05-14, 12:32
Slight thread tangent, since I've seen both mentioned...

Is ADM or Larue the better mount for an Atlas?

ADM is fine. I steal one of Pappabear's to move from gun to gun since my Atlas isn't QD. You can quick spin the adjustment fastener on the ADM to fit different pic rails on different guns. You really need the quick adjust in my experience. It seems that no two rail sections are the same.

I'm guessing the LaRue would involve that wrench adjustment. So tool free wins out for me every time.

TexanInCali
11-05-14, 14:26
Yeah. The eas, tool-free adjustment for different rails is nice on the ADM mounts. Never tried the Larue mounts.

mrvip27
11-05-14, 19:51
A lot of it is up to taste. Some folks prefer Atlas, some Harris or other brands. I'd highly recommend actually trying them out in person before buying.

I drove an hour and a half to the only place in the area that had the Atlas in stock. If I was going to spend nearly $300 on a bipod, I wanted to see what was so darn special about it. The store let me try it on a bolt action they had with a rail. I inspected it for about a minute and bought it. The excellent build quality and design were immediately apparent. There's absolutely nothing wrong with a Harris though. You might like it better.

If I was going to go with a Harris, I'd probably opt for the Odin Works mount. The IWC mount is so disappointing, it actually pissed me off. I have several of their other products, which are great, but their "KeyMod" bipod mount is BS. I don't know about the Noveske.

For the Atlas, I use a plastic BCM KeyMod strip. If you do opt for the Atlas, get the American Defense Manufacturing QD mount option. It's a really nice mount that works on every kind of rail I've tried it with. I'm switching all my optics to ADM mounts. Their lever setup is just nice.

I actually use a Harris on my 22 savage. Its decent but hard to preload. So I guess I have some decisions to make...that ADM mount looks boss.

http://www.accu-shot.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=24&products_id=125

Expensive, but looks super stout!

Also, is this the right length of rail?

http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/BCM-KeyMod-Picatinny-Aluminum-Rail-Section-3-inch-p/bcm-kmr-1913-a3.htm

thecolter
11-06-14, 08:30
Off topic, but I had the same issues with my Harris bipod when it came to trying to pre-load it.

I ended chasing the rifle down the range most of the time. I ended up buying some of these 'spiked' replacement feet that work really well in the grass and dirt, and also when shooting from a wooden bench.

http://www.diamondxcustom.com/communities/4/004/012/697/384/images/4610955972.jpg

markm
11-06-14, 09:14
Half of the Harris pods I try drive me nuts. Like trying to balance the gun on an ice pick.

One guy, last weekend had some black lever handle on the front of his and it was acceptable.... but the Atlas is such a reduction in nonsense. A little slower to deploy, but it fits my needs and psychology much better. ;)

thecolter
11-06-14, 12:02
Half of the Harris pods I try drive me nuts. Like trying to balance the gun on an ice pick.

One guy, last weekend had some black lever handle on the front of his and it was acceptable.... but the Atlas is such a reduction in nonsense. A little slower to deploy, but it fits my needs and psychology much better. ;)

I'm assuming you're talking about a lock lever for the swivel feature. I'm running one and it's a huge improvement on being able to keep the bipod stable.

mrvip27
11-06-14, 21:57

Im tempted to go the Atlas route