PDA

View Full Version : Balto County Md FNS-40 having issues

platoonDaddy
11-04-14, 06:35
The teaser leading up to the interview last night, talked about FNS-40 issues, including the trigger. During the interview with the chief, the trigger issue wasn't addressed.

Trigger Issue in the following video is on the 9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=AicVIt_PNLQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2KvmbzfmmI&feature=player_embedded

Interview & Story on local TV:
He notes how a member of the firearm's committee first claimed no unanticipated malfunctions occurred but later revealed that during a 3,000 round test, the FNS had failed to feed after 2200 rounds. A failure the colonel later calls "significant given the other two guns, Glock and Smith and Wesson did not experience similar malfunctions."

http://foxbaltimore.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/baltimore-co-police-officers-issue-formal-complaints-over-new-firearm-selection-process-33231.shtml#.VFjEhsl5stU

platoonDaddy
11-21-18, 17:34
Update: Issues with the firing pin walking, Balto County have decided to drop the FN NFS40 LS In January 2019 for Glock 17 Gen 5.

RHINOWSO
11-21-18, 19:38
Update: Issues with the firing pin walking, Balto County have decided to drop the FN NFS40 LS In January 2019 for Glock 17 Gen 5.

Smart move.

dwhitehorne
11-21-18, 20:10
I talked to their firearms guy who ran the testing back in 2015. They were quite pleased with the FNS40 at the time. It is amazing what crops up once you begin general issue to everyone. I believe Baltimore,MD and Columbia, SC were the only two large departments to adopt the FNS. Both now dropped it. David

jnc36rcpd
11-25-18, 16:35
Any details regarding the reason for the change, platoonDaddy?

Hillsborough County (FL) Sheriff's Office adopted the FNS-9 about three years ago while Arizona DPS went with the .40 version. My former department (which can't be termed large) also went with the FNS-9. We had significant reliability issues with Weapon-mounted lights which were finally resolved when FN replaced the barrels and magazines. That largely corrected that issue, but other problems continue.

jnc36rcpd
12-10-18, 11:32
FN America issued a service bulletin which warns that FNS pistols may hang fire if the slide is pushed slightly out of battery and that the tap/rack/up drill should be avoided.

https://fnamerica.com/customer-support/fns-service-bulletin/

RHINOWSO
12-10-18, 18:12
FNS having issues?

No way.

I love FN rifles, their pistols I wouldn't carry if you paid me unless it was a High Power in 9MM.

jnc36rcpd
12-10-18, 23:27
At the height of our FNS issues, I did consider suggesting that we ask FN America to trade them for High Powers.

Perhaps that's why they forced me to retire.

1986s4
12-11-18, 08:01
FNS having issues?

No way.

I love FN rifles, their pistols I wouldn't carry if you paid me unless it was a High Power in 9MM.

Right! So what do they do? Stop making the P-35 of course....

sundance435
12-11-18, 13:24
I talked to their firearms guy who ran the testing back in 2015. They were quite pleased with the FNS40 at the time. It is amazing what crops up once you begin general issue to everyone. I believe Baltimore,MD and Columbia, SC were the only two large departments to adopt the FNS. Both now dropped it. David

So true. The guys that train with them a lot will induce real-world issues and the booger-eaters will induce the "no normal human being could reproduce the conditions that led to that" kind of failures.

FN America issued a service bulletin which warns that FNS pistols may hang fire if the slide is pushed slightly out of battery and that the tap/rack/up drill should be avoided.

Wow, that's kind of a big deal...don't perform a regular malfunction drill if the gun malfunctions.

Gödel
12-12-18, 02:29

https://fnamerica.com/customer-support/fns-service-bulletin/

Seems like another incarnation of the Glock out-of-battery firing issue. Push type trigger bar + striker + light recoil spring = the ability to drop the striker out of battery. At least the FNS doesn't fire like a Glock would at that point.

danattyfatty
12-13-18, 10:55
Wow, that's kind of a big deal...don't perform a regular malfunction drill if the gun malfunctions.

Yeah. Especially if the officer was (and probably still is) in such a confrontation that led to trying to fire while gun was out of battery (contact shot against a belligerent).

Taking a few seconds to think “oh wait, is this one of those situations that we were told not to do this???” and then trying to figure things out from there is clearly unacceptable. Made me shake my head and laugh when we were given that guidance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Talon762
12-14-18, 12:39
-snip

RHINOWSO
12-14-18, 13:04
There are far better choices than anything FN in the polymer handgun market. Glock, M&P, CZ, SIG, even Beretta.

Talon762
12-14-18, 13:11
SIG :lol:

RHINOWSO
12-14-18, 13:14
:lol:

Yeah, that's saying alot, but I'd take a SP2022 over any FN poly gun.

danattyfatty
12-14-18, 13:59
Or ya know they could be responsible and send their firearm in for the (free) striker replacement assuming one of their guns is among the effected and not have to worry at all

This is one largest departments in the country. Any non department sanctioned maintenance (outside of field strip and cleaning) or tinkering on the guns is verboten. At any rate, the strikers were all replaced shortly thereafter on FN’s dime.

HCM
12-14-18, 22:47
This is one largest departments in the country. Any non department sanctioned maintenance (outside of field strip and cleaning) or tinkering on the guns is verboten. At any rate, the strikers were all replaced shortly thereafter on FN’s dime.

https://www.baltimorecountymd.gov/Agencies/police/aboutbcopd.html

The Baltimore County Police Department (BCoPD) is the nation's 18th largest police department. With more than 1,900 sworn officers,

There are a lot of agencies out there with approximately 2,000 officers. 1k to 2k is a mid sized Dept.

Baltimore county has had A LOT of issues with the FNSL. They should have dumped them a long time ago.

jnc36rcpd
12-16-18, 13:52
I forwarded the service bulletin to two firearms instructors with whom I worked. I saw them the the FOP holiday party last night and learned that Rockville City will be following in the footsteps of Baltimore County and Arizona DPS by ditching FN for Glock.

Sometimes saying "I told you so" just isn't enough.

Ohsheepdog01
12-22-18, 20:06
At the height of our FNS issues, I did consider suggesting that we ask FN America to trade them for High Powers.

Perhaps that's why they forced me to retire.Now THAT'S funny! If also sad. [emoji6]