PDA

View Full Version : Terminator: Genisys' (franchise reboot w/ Arnold)

Moose-Knuckle
11-04-14, 15:07
Due in theaters 01 July 2015 . . .

The beginning of Terminator: Genisys, the first of three planned films that Paramount hopes will relaunch the beloved sci-fi franchise, is set in 2029, when the Future War is raging and a group of human rebels has the evil artificial-intelligence system Skynet on the ropes. John Connor (Dawn of the Planet of the Apes‘ Jason Clarke) is the leader of the resistance, and Kyle Reese (Divergent‘s Jai Courtney) is his loyal soldier, raised in the ruins of postapocalyptic California. As in the original film, Connor sends Reese back to 1984 to save *Connor’s mother, Sarah, from a Terminator programmed to kill her so she won’t ever give birth to John. But what Reese finds on the other side is nothing like what he expected.

Twist No. 1? Sarah Connor (Game of Thrones‘ Emilia Clarke) isn’t the innocent she was when Linda Hamilton first sported feathered hair and acid-washed jeans in the role. Nor is she Hamilton’s steely zero-body-fat warrior in 1991’s Terminator 2: Judgment Day. Instead, the mother of humanity’s messiah was orphaned by a Terminator at age 9. Since then, she’s been raised by (brace yourself) Schwarz*enegger’s Terminator—an older T-800 she calls “Pops”—who is programmed to guard rather than to kill. As a result, Sarah is a highly trained antisocial recluse who’s great with a sniper rifle but not so skilled at the nuances of human emotion.

http://insidemovies.ew.com/2014/10/30/terminator-genisys-cover-story/

wildcard600
11-04-14, 15:53
Sounds like shit.

shame too, the first two Terminator movies were pretty epic.

Doc Safari
11-04-14, 15:57
Unfortunately, we've reached the nadir of the "sequel" concept: Star Trek, Star Wars, and now Terminator have become the suck that keeps on sucking.

:blink:

(And I was a fan of all three most of my life).

Renegade
11-04-14, 16:04
Sounds stupid.

Covering the period when Skynet goes active to sending back the first term/reese would have good potential though.

Moose-Knuckle
11-04-14, 16:38
I agree. Studios own the rights to these movies/franchises. They just keep rebooting/remaking films so they can get more money. I actually liked Terminator Salvation and had hoped we would see a trilogy of an adult John Conner kicking cybernetic ass in the future post apocalypse. When I read that a 67 year old Arnold was going to play a gray haired "Pops" Terminator and raise Sarah Conner as little girl I knew they were going to muck this up. I mean her mother was killed in the first freaking movie for crying out loud, not when she was nine years old.

SteyrAUG
11-04-14, 18:20
Sounds like shit.

shame too, the first two Terminator movies were pretty epic.

Yep, every time they reboot the original story line they lose me. Reminds me of Prometheus and how disappointed I was with that one. Sad too as they could have stayed with the original storyline and gave us one of the most exciting films of the franchise.

I predict yet another POS film with glaring plot holes, inconsistencies and CGI bukkake all over the screen hoping to make up for lack of substance with impressive visuals. But I shouldn't be surprised, the last two films were huge disappointments.

As far as I'm concerned the story ended with Judgement Day.

jaxman7
11-04-14, 18:29
I agree. Studios own the rights to these movies/franchises. They just keep rebooting/remaking films so they can get more money. I actually liked Terminator Salvation and had hoped we would see a trilogy of an adult John Conner kicking cybernetic ass in the future post apocalypse. When I read that a 67 year old Arnold was going to play a gray haired "Pops" Terminator and raise Sarah Conner as little girl I knew they were going to muck this up. I mean her mother was killed in the first freaking movie for crying out loud, not when she was nine years old.

Not defending or shooting down the upcoming movie but just trying to give some 'reasoning' to the AARP aged Terminator from the director of T1 & 2 himself, James Cameron. He was quoted (& and this will be my paraphrased version) that the reason behind the T-800 looking older is that that Terminator model is of course a cybernetic robot over living tissue. That living tissue, like us, does age over time. Now rationalize or not it does give slightly more validity to an 'aging' T-800 especially considering who that idea comes from. Myself being a HUGE Terminator fan (like you I loved Salvation) I am still extremely skeptical about this movie.

-Jax

Moose-Knuckle
11-04-14, 18:35
Not defending or shooting down the upcoming movie but just trying to give some 'reasoning' to the AARP aged Terminator from the director of T1 & 2 himself, James Cameron. He was quoted (& and this will be my paraphrased version) that the reason behind the T-800 looking older is that that Terminator model is of course a cybernetic robot over living tissue. That living tissue, like us, does age over time. Now rationalize or not it does give slightly more validity to an 'aging' T-800 especially considering who that idea comes from. Myself being a HUGE Terminator fan (like you I loved Salvation) I am still extremely skeptical about this movie.

-Jax

Don't get me wrong, I am still going to see it. Just would have done things differently I guess. But Cameron does make a valid argument for his senior T-800 as they say "we shall see".

jaxman7
11-04-14, 18:40
Don't get me wrong, I am still going to see it. Just would have done things differently I guess. But Cameron does make a valid argument for his senior T-800 as they say "we shall see".

Absolutely brother. Same here. Wouldn't miss seeing it for anything. Just hope they dont screw it up! Long live John Connor. ;)

-Jax

ETA: Now if J.J. Abrams screws up Star Wars (of which I SERIOUSLY doubt he will) all of you WILL be seeing me run through the streets of Mos Eisley screaming obsceneties while naked.
Ha Ha. Just couldn't take another bad Star Wars trilogy b/c I am seriously & honestly a MASSIVE Star Wars nerd. ;)

-Jax

ramairthree
11-04-14, 18:51
I look forward to it actually.

I liked the first three movies. Lukewarm on the 4th and the TV show at best.

Now, when T2 came out, a lot of people loved the liquid metal guy (Cameron was all into that effect, he used in in one of the ten underwater movies that had come out the year before),
but I thought it was way over the top,
no living tissue to come back, etc.

I would rather have seen him fighting a stronger/faster new Terminator with some weapons that came out that had been smuggled in under the flesh than an over the top liquid metal guy.

MountainRaven
11-04-14, 20:43
Absolutely brother. Same here. Wouldn't miss seeing it for anything. Just hope they dont screw it up! Long live John Connor. ;)

-Jax

ETA: Now if J.J. Abrams screws up Star Wars (of which I SERIOUSLY doubt he will) all of you WILL be seeing me run through the streets of Mos Eisley screaming obsceneties while naked.
Ha Ha. Just couldn't take another bad Star Wars trilogy b/c I am seriously & honestly a MASSIVE Star Wars nerd. ;)

-Jax

Even if JJ Abrams does f___ up VII, Disney will just pull a bunch of the people making the Marvel Studios movies and VIII will be more gooder.

I'm more concerned at this point about the non-trilogy Star Wars films they're supposed to be pushing out - the ones about Boba Fett and Han Solo (and who knows who else).

BoringGuy45
11-04-14, 22:24
I look forward to it actually.

I liked the first three movies. Lukewarm on the 4th and the TV show at best.

The first episode set the show up for some great potential. It had a very similar feel to the first two Terminator movies and both Lena Headey and Summer Glau are easy on the eyes ;) . But they kind of screwed the pooch, made the characters too unlikable, and very obviously had no clue where they were taking the series by the time the second season rolled around.

Jellybean
11-05-14, 00:07
Even if JJ Abrams does f___ up VII, Disney will just pull a bunch of the people making the Marvel Studios movies and VIII will be more gooder.

I'm more concerned at this point about the non-trilogy Star Wars films they're supposed to be pushing out - the ones about Boba Fett and Han Solo (and who knows who else).

To be fair, a Boba and/or Han backstory would be cool...

The first episode set the show up for some great potential. It had a very similar feel to the first two Terminator movies and both Lena Headey and Summer Glau are easy on the eyes ;) . But they kind of screwed the pooch, made the characters too unlikable, and very obviously had no clue where they were taking the series by the time the second season rolled around.

The whole show was stupid.
If you've got people running 9mms thinking they can take down a machine they only managed to kill once with sustained .50 cal fire, or clearing houses with a 40mm launcher, then clearly they're to stupid to be running any sort of resistance operation.

And the premise of the movie as stated above, sound just like a rehash of the show plot, except with no SG.
Not that old guys kicking ass isn't cool, but... see my previous about "it's the same premise as the show"...

-Jax

-Jax

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjVkwX5Yt2Y

:laugh:

MountainRaven
11-05-14, 01:06
To be fair, a Boba and/or Han backstory could be cool...

Fixt. ;)

Not that old guys kicking ass isn't cool, but... see my previous about "it's the same premise as the show"...

Old guys (or guy, I guess) kicking ass is why I'm eagerly awaiting the Conan the Barbarian sequel that's finally being made - The Legend of Conan. (Although it is coming after Terminator 1.21 Gigawatts: The Search for More Money or whatever they're calling it.)

Moose-Knuckle
11-05-14, 01:13
Boba Fett is without a doubt my favorite Star Wars character. Would love to see a film about him after he escaped the Sarlacc Pit. Or even a pre history of the Mandelorians on Concord Dawn with the Journeyman Protector Jaster Mereel.

Some films about the ancient Sith would be just tits as would some of the more obscure Jedi Masters.

But who knows, we'll probably get a ****ing Jar-Jar Binks meets the Ewoks sooner or later.

Crow Hunter
11-05-14, 08:29
They need to revamp that for the modern era with more plausibility and to appeal to wider audience.

John Connor should be Juan Connor, an unaccompanied minor that was adopted by his lesbian mother Jameequa Conner.

The Wayne Lapierre Terminator should be sent back through time by the White Racist NRA Arms Dealers of the future to stop Juan Connor from stopping Climate Change and creating a Utopian one world government where everyone gets free healthcare and a fair living wage.

fixit69
11-05-14, 10:13
I was planning on going to see it until I heard the plot "twist". I don't really even mind geezer Arnold in the movie, but there better be something spectacular to pull a decent movie out this goatf*** of a story.

And as a side note,

Any thing with Boba Fett would, not could, be cool. He was my favorite character also, and Hollywood would never screwup such a cool story...

oh, never mind. I can't believe I just wrote that...

BBossman
11-05-14, 10:20
LOL... CGI bukkake. Terminator was a small budget EPIC in SciFi. T2 was a solid follow up. 3 was decent, although Ahnold was getting a little long in the tooth. 4 I don't consider part of the franchise. This new "treatment" sounds like an embarrassment. Maybe they can combine it with Transformers and Ahnold can become his own wheelchair...

I believe they alter the classics for the new generations who need 80% CGI action Soon, actors will submitt a scanned likeness and not need to do anything but voice overs. Oh wait, that's sort of the plot of Surrogates...

Yep, every time they reboot the original story line they lose me. Reminds me of Prometheus and how disappointed I was with that one. Sad too as they could have stayed with the original storyline and gave us one of the most exciting films of the franchise.

I predict yet another POS film with glaring plot holes, inconsistencies and CGI bukkake all over the screen hoping to make up for lack of substance with impressive visuals. But I shouldn't be surprised, the last two films were huge disappointments.

As far as I'm concerned the story ended with Judgement Day.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

Doc Safari
11-05-14, 10:29
Any thing with Boba Fett would, not could, be cool. He was my favorite character also, and Hollywood would never screwup such a cool story...

I AM STILL angry at Lucasfilm for what they did to Boba Fett. He was introduced to movie goers in "Empire Strikes Back", and to a lot of people (me included) was the most interesting character next to Darth Vader.

Being a bounty hunter, he was somewhat neutral morally, and so could have been treated with a storyline that left the door open to his own adventures.

So what does Lucasfilm do? Not only does "Return of the Jedi" never even explore Boba Fett's potential, the storyline unceremoniously kills him off during a fight sequence. Okay, so maybe a spinoff series with Fett as the "hero" was not feasible, but instead of wasting screen time having the heroes battle a slab-bound slug named Jabba the Hutt, the writers could have opened "Jedi" with them fighting Boba Fett to get the frozen Han Solo back. Jabba the Hutt was not that important a character except that not destroying him would have left a loose end. It would have been way more interesting to open "Return of the Jedi" with an attempt to rescue Han Solo from Boba Fett's bounty hunters, and Jabba the Hutt gets killed unceremoniously along the way.

I think some other people in the Star Wars film universe felt some angst at Boba Fett's demise, and that's why he was somewhat "brought back" as Jango Fett in the earlier Star Wars chapters (which we all know were filmed after chapters 4,5, & 6).

Big A
11-05-14, 12:12
Boba Fett is without a doubt my favorite Star Wars character. Would love to see a film about him after he escaped the Sarlacc Pit. Or even a pre history of the Mandelorians on Concord Dawn with the Journeyman Protector Jaster Mereel.
Some films about the ancient Sith would be just tits as would some of the more obscure Jedi Masters.

But who knows, we'll probably get a ****ing Jar-Jar Binks meets the Ewoks sooner or later.

Sadly some of the Boba Fett backstory has changed due to the Clone Wars Cartoon being considered part of the official canon and some of the books being removed from the official canon.

I AM STILL angry at Lucasfilm for what they did to Boba Fett. He was introduced to movie goers in "Empire Strikes Back", and to a lot of people (me included) was the most interesting character next to Darth Vader.

Being a bounty hunter, he was somewhat neutral morally, and so could have been treated with a storyline that left the door open to his own adventures.

So what does Lucasfilm do? Not only does "Return of the Jedi" never even explore Boba Fett's potential, the storyline unceremoniously kills him off during a fight sequence. Okay, so maybe a spinoff series with Fett as the "hero" was not feasible, but instead of wasting screen time having the heroes battle a slab-bound slug named Jabba the Hutt, the writers could have opened "Jedi" with them fighting Boba Fett to get the frozen Han Solo back. Jabba the Hutt was not that important a character except that not destroying him would have left a loose end. It would have been way more interesting to open "Return of the Jedi" with an attempt to rescue Han Solo from Boba Fett's bounty hunters, and Jabba the Hutt gets killed unceremoniously along the way.

I think some other people in the Star Wars film universe felt some angst at Boba Fett's demise, and that's why he was somewhat "brought back" as Jango Fett in the earlier Star Wars chapters (which we all know were filmed after chapters 4,5, & 6).

Boba doesn't die in the Sarlaac pit...

The two posts above are the only reasons I posted in this thread as I couldn't care less about yet another Terminator reboot...

Koshinn
11-05-14, 12:59
Sadly some of the Boba Fett backstory has changed due to the Clone Wars Cartoon being considered part of the official canon and some of the books being removed from the official canon.

All of the books were removed from official canon. The only official canon now consists of:
Movie version of Ep 1-6
Clone Wars Movie
Clone Wars CGI TV series (not the traditional animation one)
Rebels CGI TV series (currently on going)
"New Dawn" book that came out recently

Ep 7 will be added when it's released, along with any books from now on.

Nothing else is official in Star Wars. As far as we know, Fett did die in the Sarlaac pit.

Doc Safari
11-05-14, 13:17
Oh, well. Fans of the "removed" books can take small assurance from the fact that Star Wars could eventually have an "alternate timeline" reset like the Star Trek universe and all those stories will return to the canon.

See how crazy this is.

No wonder I lost interest in sci fi about ten years ago. :jester:

Thank God Babylon 5 wasn't mucked up like this.

Big A
11-05-14, 13:38
All of the books were removed from official canon. The only official canon now consists of:
Movie version of Ep 1-6
Clone Wars Movie
Clone Wars CGI TV series (not the traditional animation one)
Rebels CGI TV series (currently on going)
"New Dawn" book that came out recently

Ep 7 will be added when it's released, along with any books from now on.

Nothing else is official in Star Wars. As far as we know, Fett did die in the Sarlaac pit.

I gave up following it after I read the completely terrible Fate of the Jedi series.

I was so pissed when that stupid Clone Wars cartoon made the Mandalorians a bunch of pacifists and wiped away all of the excellent backstory of the Mando's laid out in the Republic Comando series by Karen Traviss.

Moose, Sorry for the thread drift but it is probably gonna continue so just accept it...:p

WickedWillis
11-05-14, 13:40
The biggest travesty regarding Episode 7? Not adapting fully Timothy Zahn's trilogy.

Koshinn
11-05-14, 13:41
Oh, well. Fans of the "removed" books can take small assurance from the fact that Star Wars could eventually have an "alternate timeline" reset like the Star Trek universe and all those stories will return to the canon.

See how crazy this is.

No wonder I lost interest in sci fi about ten years ago. :jester:

Thank God Babylon 5 wasn't mucked up like this.

Babylon 5... Such a good series.

fixit69
11-05-14, 15:13
ETA. Wrong thread

wildcard600
11-05-14, 15:18
Take the star tre.... err.... wars to another thread ladies.

This thread is about Terminator: Vagynasis

fixit69
11-05-14, 15:25
Ya we get it.

Vagynasis... Is that a std?

Moose-Knuckle
11-05-14, 15:30
I AM STILL angry at Lucasfilm for what they did to Boba Fett.

Well actually Boba Fett was introduced to the world by Lucas Film on 17 November 1978 via an animated short in the horrible/cult following Star Wars Holiday Special. Enjoy . . .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYuqfy2IkAg

Boba Fett is an anti-hero much like Clint Eastwood's Man with No Name trilogy and his character in High Plains Drifter . . . they have so much potential with Boba Fett it’s not even funny but we all know they will screw the pooch with an attempt to make a film.

Big A
11-05-14, 16:37
The biggest travesty regarding Episode 7? Not adapting fully Timothy Zahn's trilogy.

Indeed. However I don't think you could use Harrison Ford, Mark Hammel, Carrie Fisher, etc, etc to make those movies because they would be too old.

Doc Safari
11-05-14, 16:41
This thread is so thoroughly off track that I'm thinking...what the Hell...

I'd love to see an Indiana Jones reboot with another actor. I think that franchise could become like James Bond where a new actor plays the part every few years but the formula remains constant.

As long as we're talking about a certain character...the age of the original actor shouldn't keep new movies from being made.

ramairthree
11-05-14, 16:49
I remember mailing seeing that holiday special when I was a kid.
I also sent off for the Boba Fett figure from sending in labels from figures I think and being PO'd the rocket actually did not shoot when he came.

He had potential as a seriously bad ass guy,
was supposed to be some awesome warrior,
then killed him in some half assed comical way like he was red shirt punk number 6.

Instead of it having to be a sort of boss battle to do him in.

I also have never quite wrapped my head around Anakin got done in by Kenobi pretty easily when he was supposed to be a super Jedi.

I saw a cartoon with Mandalorians that were much better warriors some could go toe to toe with a Jedi. But then again the clone troopers on that show were way more better warriors than the original movie storm trooper non shooting cannon fodder.

The other thing that really threw me with the new movies,
was that to me the original movies made it seem like Anakin an Obi did the Clone wars, but that much more time would have went by,
they would have both been a lot older, like maybe 60 and 45 when Luke/Leia were born and Anakin went to the Dark Side. His ghost looked way older in the film after he killed the Emperor.

Basically, they had a lot more time under their belts as Jedi and experience instead of the way the new movies showed.
The new movies looked like it went from 10 year old annakin, 14 year old padme, 25 year old Kenobi, and finished with 20 year old annakin, 24 year old padme, 35 year old Kenobi,

Then the original movies start 19 years later, but with 75 year old Kenobi instead of 54 year old Kenobi.

Having more time at war and more time go by until Luke/Leia born would explain the Vader/Anakin ghost looking like a 60 year old man,
and Kenobi looking about 75.

Moose-Knuckle
11-05-14, 17:17
I remember mailing seeing that holiday special when I was a kid.
I also sent off for the Boba Fett figure from sending in labels from figures I think and being PO'd the rocket actually did not shoot when he came.

The last one to go to auction fetched $25,000.00, just say'n . . .

Big A
11-05-14, 17:24

I'd love to see an Indiana Jones reboot with another actor. I think that franchise could become like James Bond where a new actor plays the part every few years but the formula remains constant.

As long as we're talking about a certain character...the age of the original actor shouldn't keep new movies from being made.

Supposedly a 5th Indiana Jones has been green lit.

Moose-Knuckle
11-05-14, 20:26
How Unoriginal Is Hollywood? Very — and We've Got the Stats to Prove It

The takeaway is at the bottom of the chart, and it’s dramatic. The number of original stories told by major studios dropped from nearly 59 percent in 1984 to about 51 percent a decade later. In 2004, original movies made up about 38 percent of films, which looks like a lot compared to today’s less than 25 percent.

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/how-unoriginal-is-hollywood-very-and-weve-got-the-101773800642.html

ramairthree
11-05-14, 20:50
Damn.

They could pay me to give them new plots.

Jellybean
11-05-14, 22:34

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!
Having to fight/sneak their way through a bunch of badass amored armed-to-the-teeth bounty hunters to steal back Han would have been about 10,000 times better than watching some fat furry alien thing try to rap, or hoodwink an obvious nitwit like Jabba.
Boba should have been like "king of the bounty hunters" or something, and he and Luke have an epic "boss fight" battle on the deck of the sail-barge, Boba gets knocked into the Sarlacc pit MUCH LESS LAMELY, but after Han and company escape, you get a shot of his hand as he crawls out of the Sarlacc pit. Because no way in hell would Boba A)get randomly knocked into a Sarlacc pit, and B) not put up more of a fight. Come on. Jango damn near kicked Obi Wan's ass in Ep. II. I'd like to think Boba has had just as much time to train, PLUS Luke in Ep.6 is about half young OB's skill level...
And besides, you don't give a character his own ship just so he can be pathetically killed off because you couldn't think of anything better to do with him...
Anyway, /rant. :o

That is an interesting idea.
They could even bring it back around where he sort of "passes the mantle" if you will on to the next guy, and Indiana Jones becomes more of a title/ nom de guerre (sp?)/ legend that the next guy takes on. Kind of like the way 007/Bond works.

As far as movie material goes, you need to read Temple by Matthew Reilly.
It's like Indiana Jones on speed. :laugh:

http://www.amazon.com/Temple-Matthew-Reilly/dp/0312981260

As a side note, why do we have to suffer through badly rehashed story lines of the SAME series decade after decade?
I guess every new director has to remake the classics in their own image or something?
Oh, I know- they do it for the appeal of thousands of movie goers who saw the original and then have to take their kids to see the new one.
But how can they consistently churn out fodder, that aside from being a generally mediocre movie in it's own right, does nothing to improve on the original?
It's like the WW2 thing with video games- we get it. It was THE war. But after the fourhundredandseventythirdthousandth time you shoot the same no-name nazi in the face you realize that it's past the point of any meaning, simply being chosen because it's an easy and safe bet for the makers of the game to attract players. Say what you want, but at least it seems the light has finally been seen and developers are moving on, but I digress....
However, my point is you have the opposite choice with movies- an entire industry chained to a past series of series' that they cling to like it's the last chopper out of 'Nam.
And a whole audience of viewers that for some reason would rather watch a bad re-do for the 17th time over (of COURSE it's the "#1 movie in America...") than encourage filmmakers to move in another direction by voting with their wallets... (the recent "Dark Knight" series and Total Recall re-do nonwithstanding... )
I don't get it.

jpmuscle
11-06-14, 02:11
I'll give credit where credit is due. You SciFi guys are assuredly hardcore.

ForTehNguyen
11-06-14, 17:13
is the Kalisi going to have terminator dragons too?

WickedWillis
11-06-14, 17:16

This made my nerd brain twitch a bit.

MountainRaven
11-06-14, 20:30

That's Khaleesi. :p

She won't have terminator dragons - Jon Snow (dba Conner) and the Terminator's Watch will be fighting T-O White Walkers, servants of the evil SnowNet. ;)

And Jango didn't almost beat Obi-Wan. He was beating Obi-Wan. And he gave Mace Windu a run for his money.

Jellybean
11-06-14, 23:22
That's Khaleesi. :p

She won't have terminator dragons - Jon Snow (dba Conner) and the Terminator's Watch will be fighting T-O White Walkers, servants of the evil SnowNet. ;)

And Jango didn't almost beat Obi-Wan. He was beating Obi-Wan. And he gave Mace Windu a run for his money.

Damn, beat me to it. :laugh:

One could argue she already *does* have terminator dragons. There's not much in the Seven Kingdoms that could stop them, and... they've terminated quite a few folks already... :p

Here's how I see the OB/Jango thing- He *was* beating OB, but then he had to get all stupid with the suctiony-grappling hook thingy, got into close combat with a much more maneuverable opponent who also had a Force trump card up his sleeve, and bam.... *almost* beat OB. Actually more like a straight draw, but, whatever.
Same with Windu- he lost that one fair and square because again, he relied to much on his technology to even the odds. He jumped into a battle he didn't even have to participate in, got run over, broke his nifty backpack, and bam- now he's stuck in the same situation as OB, with an opponent who's opposing level of technology caters to close combat, AND still has a Force trump card, even if Jango manages to break even in a straight up CQB battle versus a Jedi.

Now you put him in a situation where technology plays a more decisive role... and he has a huge advantage, for example the pasting he handed out to OB in the asteroid field. Or theoretically, against Clones or Droids, he also I believe would have fared much better.
But reliance on technology is a thinking mans game, and even though he may be one of, it not the most badass Merc ever to wander the galaxy, he died because he didn't think before he jumped.

Now if we go off on a tangent about Boba... there was literally no good reason for the whole Sarlacc pit situation at all. Just a blind stupid "luck" excuse to kill of an opposing character. BUT.... he does the same thing as Jango, and gets into a close combat situation with an opponent who, even thought less skilled than Windu or young OB, Luke's opposing technology caters to just such a situation.
He could have just flown around without getting to involved causing chaos and destruction, maybe popped a rocket into Luke & Co.'s skiff, or stole Leia just as she and Luke were preparing to play Tarzan. That would have been hilarious.
Or if he was really thinking, let Jabba's cannon fodder soak up all the attention, fly over, plant a remote det. mine on the skiff, then fly off and wait. When the battle reaches it's inevitable conclusion, and Luke & Co. are speeding off into the sunset... Blam. Game over. Boba wins Ep. 6. :laugh:

Koshinn
11-06-14, 23:26

One could argue she already *does* have terminator dragons. There's not much in the Seven Kingdoms that could stop them, and... they've terminated quite a few folks already... :p

Here's how I see the OB/Jango thing- He *was* beating OB, but then he had to get all stupid with the suctiony-grappling hook thingy, got into close combat with a much more maneuverable opponent who also had a Force trump card up his sleeve, and bam.... *almost* beat OB. Actually more like a straight draw, but, whatever.
Same with Windu- he lost that one fair and square because again, he relied to much on his technology to even the odds. He jumped into a battle he didn't even have to participate in, got run over, broke his nifty backpack, and bam- now he's stuck in the same situation as OB, with an opponent who's opposing level of technology caters to close combat, AND still has a Force trump card, even if Jango manages to break even in a straight up CQB battle versus a Jedi.

Now you put him in a situation where technology plays a more decisive role... and he has a huge advantage, for example the pasting he handed out to OB in the asteroid field. Or theoretically, against Clones or Droids, he also I believe would have fared much better.
But reliance on technology is a thinking mans game, and even though he may be one of, it not the most badass Merc ever to wander the galaxy, he died because he didn't think before he jumped.

Now if we go off on a tangent about Boba... there was literally no good reason for the whole Sarlacc pit situation at all. Just a blind stupid "luck" excuse to kill of an opposing character. BUT.... he does the same thing as Jango, and gets into a close combat situation with an opponent who, even thought less skilled than Windu or young OB, Luke's opposing technology caters to just such a situation.
He could have just flown around without getting to involved causing chaos and destruction, maybe popped a rocket into Luke & Co.'s skiff, or stole Leia just as she and Luke were preparing to play Tarzan. That would have been hilarious.
Or if he was really thinking, let Jabba's cannon fodder soak up all the attention, fly over, plant a remote det. mine on the skiff, then fly off and wait. When the battle reaches it's inevitable conclusion, and Luke & Co. are speeding off into the sunset... Blam. Game over. Boba wins Ep. 6. :laugh:

It's kind of like, why doesn't Superman just fly overhead and use his super hearing, vision, and reflexes to just zap every criminal from the air with his heat vision? He doesn't have to literally drop down infront of a mugging victim, absorb some bullets, make a speech, then apprehend the criminal... he could stop ALL crime in the entire city from ever happening. Even buildings aren't shelter because of his x-ray vision.

But that'd be boring.

Just like actually using your range advantage is boring in a movie.

MountainRaven
11-07-14, 00:35

Jango's fight was going well for him. But he didn't have a back-up plan in the event that his jetpack failed. Which it did.

And pretty much the only way or ways to beat a Jedi (or Sith) are: Technology (like Boba and Jango), numbers (like Clonetroopers), or nuking the site from orbit (Darth Malak - although that still wasn't enough to kill Revan).

It's kind of like, why doesn't Superman just fly overhead and use his super hearing, vision, and reflexes to just zap every criminal from the air with his heat vision? He doesn't have to literally drop down infront of a mugging victim, absorb some bullets, make a speech, then apprehend the criminal... he could stop ALL crime in the entire city from ever happening. Even buildings aren't shelter because of his x-ray vision.

But that'd be boring.

My question is: Superman's fists work really well for stopping bad guys in Man of Steel. Why did it take him damned near an hour to figure out that his fists might just be the best way of keeping the earth from being terraformed and saving Metropolis from being completely destroyed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjSNLmb0Ndw&list=PLAB7FEBFF8A678ECF&src_vid=VnY4p_ASV9M&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_4136176645

Koshinn
11-07-14, 01:37
Jango's fight was going well for him. But he didn't have a back-up plan in the event that his jetpack failed. Which it did.

And pretty much the only way or ways to beat a Jedi (or Sith) are: Technology (like Boba and Jango), numbers (like Clonetroopers), or nuking the site from orbit (Darth Malak - although that still wasn't enough to kill Revan).

My question is: Superman's fists work really well for stopping bad guys in Man of Steel. Why did it take him damned near an hour to figure out that his fists might just be the best way of keeping the earth from being terraformed and saving Metropolis from being completely destroyed?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjSNLmb0Ndw&list=PLAB7FEBFF8A678ECF&src_vid=VnY4p_ASV9M&feature=iv&annotation_id=annotation_4136176645

You don't need any of that nonsense to stop a jedi. All you need is to shoot his wingman, which will inevitably cause his OTHER wingman to randomly hit you for no reason. It's legit.

Belmont31R
11-07-14, 02:41

Disney already said the old EU is gone. No longer cannon.

Belmont31R
11-07-14, 02:43
I was planning on going to see it until I heard the plot "twist". I don't really even mind geezer Arnold in the movie, but there better be something spectacular to pull a decent movie out this goatf*** of a story.

And as a side note,

A very dark, and bleak setting of Boba would be awesome. I like the character, too, if you tie in all the different plot points the guy was involved with. Definitely a story there.

Belmont31R
11-07-14, 02:48
Indeed. However I don't think you could use Harrison Ford, Mark Hammel, Carrie Fisher, etc, etc to make those movies because they would be too old.

Im already skeptical of Ford being in the movie. He's in his 70's, and already a stiff actor with a monotone voice.

Theres a lot of talent here but since they killed the official canon, and brought back the oldies, I don't see 7 being anything like we've seen so far as far as canon.

All these actors were young, and unknown at the time. They had a lot of energy in their roles.

Belmont31R
11-07-14, 02:50
How many people remember watching Ewok Adventures? A very unknown film even amongst Star Wars fans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3OpUuCH8sc

And yes that is a Lucas movie.

Theres a second one, too.

wildcard600
11-07-14, 07:26
How many people remember watching Ewok Adventures? A very unknown film even amongst Star Wars fans.

Loved those movies as a kid. Wore the Betamax tape of Battle for Endor out.

Doc Safari
11-07-14, 09:10

But that'd be boring.

Don't get me started on Superman. If I remember one old timer's story correctly, Superman started out just minimally stronger than an average human: couldn't really fly, just leaped over things--not bullet proof--no X-ray vision, etc. Then the writers had to continually give him bigger and bigger super powers until he was all but invulnerable.

I don't know if the story is true, (could just be bar talk), but the story fascinated me at the time.

Doc Safari
11-07-14, 09:12
Im already skeptical of Ford being in the movie. He's in his 70's, and already a stiff actor with a monotone voice.

Theres a lot of talent here but since they killed the official canon, and brought back the oldies, I don't see 7 being anything like we've seen so far as far as canon.

All these actors were young, and unknown at the time. They had a lot of energy in their roles.

They should never have let Harrison Ford play Indiana Jones a fourth time. What pissed me off about the Indy series is that they could have made a few more movies in the 1990's and 2000's while Ford was still relatively young. Instead, they waited until he's a geezer to do the fourth one. By then they should have gotten a younger actor and continued the series in the mode of James Bond with a new lead every few years.

Moose-Knuckle
11-07-14, 14:33
Disney already said the old EU is gone. No longer cannon.

Just another reason Disney sucks SO BAD . . .

Yeah, my sister and I were huge fans of these movies. We remember when they debuted on TV!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087225/

Koshinn
11-07-14, 16:29

They could have done it like Tron where they cgi the actors' face to make them look young. It didn't quite work in that, but a lot changes in years regarding CGI.

Belmont31R
11-08-14, 01:44
Don't get me started on Superman. If I remember one old timer's story correctly, Superman started out just minimally stronger than an average human: couldn't really fly, just leaped over things--not bullet proof--no X-ray vision, etc. Then the writers had to continually give him bigger and bigger super powers until he was all but invulnerable.

I don't know if the story is true, (could just be bar talk), but the story fascinated me at the time.

Like a lot of comics theres different series and writers. They can pull movies from one series of comics but it won't really match another series. Like the Amazing Spiderman comic series is different from other Spiderman comics. And I think each writer has the liberty to write the story as they wish, and characters change. For instance you have the goofy Batman, and then the Dark Knight type of Angle where his life was much harsher than just a rich business guy who puts a costume on.

Belmont31R
11-08-14, 01:50
Just another reason Disney sucks SO BAD . . .

Yeah, my sister and I were huge fans of these movies. We remember when they debuted on TV!

I actually trust Disney with taking the reigns a lot more than Lucas.

Regarding the EU, one angle I can see going against it is that its very fragmented. Theres so many different authors of the books the EU is not really a cohesive type of story. Then, if Disney did adopt the EU, and took stories from there, Im sure the authors of the books would want a lot of money for taking their story. I like the Zahn authored books, X-Wing series, some of the stuff about Han Solo before he joined the Rebellion, ect. Han was actually trying to become a pilot for the Empire at one point, and had a rough childhood.

But I can see why Disney did what they did. The books are a still a good read, and you can always find them at a decent used book store for a fraction of the new price so burning through them isn't that expensive.

MountainRaven
11-08-14, 14:22
I actually trust Disney with taking the reigns a lot more than Lucas.

Regarding the EU, one angle I can see going against it is that its very fragmented. Theres so many different authors of the books the EU is not really a cohesive type of story. Then, if Disney did adopt the EU, and took stories from there, Im sure the authors of the books would want a lot of money for taking their story. I like the Zahn authored books, X-Wing series, some of the stuff about Han Solo before he joined the Rebellion, ect. Han was actually trying to become a pilot for the Empire at one point, and had a rough childhood.

But I can see why Disney did what they did. The books are a still a good read, and you can always find them at a decent used book store for a fraction of the new price so burning through them isn't that expensive.

What I like (actually like) about Disney discarding the EU is that it means that all video games, all books, all comics, all TV shows going forward are canon. Instead of the sort of limbo that the pre-Disney EU existed in, between fanfic and canon.

Moose-Knuckle
12-03-14, 16:31
Teaser trailer released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW_LXxplOjk

WickedWillis
12-03-14, 16:55
Teaser trailer released:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BW_LXxplOjk

Interesting. It's got a hell of a cast.

SteyrAUG
12-03-14, 17:46

By the time of the Max Fleischer cartoon serials (1941-1943) he had all of the above super powers.

Koshinn
12-03-14, 19:31
What I like (actually like) about Disney discarding the EU is that it means that all video games, all books, all comics, all TV shows going forward are canon. Instead of the sort of limbo that the pre-Disney EU existed in, between fanfic and canon.

We need a star wars subforum here... it's leaking into every other thread!

Also... why is there a teaser for a trailer for a movie? WTF.

Moose-Knuckle
12-03-14, 20:10
Also... why is there a teaser for a trailer for a movie? WTF.

Think of it like a peep show, they got to get you hooked.

Koshinn
12-03-14, 20:18
They should make a peep show for the teaser for the trailer for the movie.

MountainRaven
12-03-14, 20:57
I don't think it's even a trailer. I think it's a teaser for a teaser trailer.

ForTehNguyen
12-04-14, 15:52
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJJBZHkcALE

Moose-Knuckle
12-04-14, 16:02
Ok, that doesn't look so bad . . .

I've seen all the others since I was knee high, I'll be seeing these as well.

docsherm
12-04-14, 16:36
That looks good.

ramairthree
12-04-14, 16:40
I am actually really, really looking forward to this now.

Koshinn
12-04-14, 19:21
I honestly think I liked this trailer better than the Star Wars one.

Grand58742
12-05-14, 08:07
Ok, that doesn't look so bad . . .

I've seen all the others since I was knee high, I'll be seeing these as well.

Yeah, it does look that bad.

The downhill slide started in T3 and culminated in Salvation. Salvation could have been completely badass had they not gone the route of the Terminator with a human brain and all. If they had focused on nothing but the war with the machines, it could have ended up being the best in the series.

But this? They have run out of decent ideas and are desperately seeking anything they can to make a buck by bringing elements of 1 and 2 together.

It'll be on my Netflix watch list. I won't pay money in a theater.

ramairthree
12-05-14, 08:16
You know, the first one was mind blowing.
Worth ten times its budget.

It may well be my favorite movie.

T2 was more popular and profitable,
and I enjoyed it,
but the liquid metal guy, who could not have come back in time not being covered in flesh,
still kind of chaps me.

He got to pursue his liquid metal concept like he had in the underwater movie, and made for some bad ass scenes, etc.

I did not mind the third one.

The last one I look at like the TV show-
sort of Terminator-ish.

Either could have been much better.

The way Expendables,
and especially Expendables II were a great comedic homage and perfect for those that saw those 80s stars as teens to watch with our teenagers (given you had already watched Commando, Rambo, Die Hard, etc. with them),

I think this Terminator movie is going to be that kind of hit,
with tons of fan service/references.

Sarah Conner pulling up to Kyle Reese and saying Come with me if you want to live
may not make a great movie, or the Terminator saying I'll be back,
but it is a great scene if you had liked the first one.

Talon167
12-05-14, 08:44
You know, the first one was mind blowing.
Worth ten times its budget.

It may well be my favorite movie.

I agree 100% here. I think the first one is very underrated and overshadowed by the second one. People forget the budget for the first one was basically nothing and what they were able to do was genius. The endoskeleton, the story, the simplicity. What a great movie.

“Phased plasma rifle in 40 Watt range.”
“Just what you see, pal.”

T2 is also fantastic. Those two movies are my favorite of all time and I cannot decide between them which I like more.

Koshinn
12-05-14, 09:43
I heard rumors that the movie will tie in the tv series with the movies.

The series was excellent in my opinion, and should not have been cancelled. It was getting really good and then they cut it.

Talon167
12-05-14, 12:46
I heard rumors that the movie will tie in the tv series with the movies.

The series was excellent in my opinion, and should not have been cancelled. It was getting really good and then they cut it.

I enjoyed the TV series, too, even though I didn't think I would. Lena Heady made a good Sarah Connor... and Summer Glau, well, yea. :)