PDA

View Full Version : Invent your dream pistol from the best of others

BoringGuy45
11-05-14, 14:06
If you could create a customized "franken-gun" from your favorite parts of various weapons to create what would be the "perfect" handgun for you personally, how would you do it? This is personal preference, not creating a universally "perfect" gun for everyone.

Mine would be a M&P9 the size of a Glock 19 with a PPQ trigger.

teutonicpolymer
11-05-14, 15:59
Single action striker fired pistol with HK VP9 or PPQ trigger feel
Ambi button mag release
Ambi slide release
Serrated black rear sight
Night sight up front
VP9 style grip with steel subframe connected to slide rails and locking block as one piece
Removeable barrel bushing
Glock 34 size
17+1 capacity minimum
Slide has no ports cut into it
Stainless steel magazines made by Mecgar
Glock style disassembly
Glock safeties
Single recoil spring with stainless guide rod

ramairthree
11-05-14, 17:11
SS frame Beretta (like their Billie, but with WC custom type checkering, the radiused back strap, etc.
with Beretta sized frame mounted safety
that is a safety/decocker allowing for DA/SA use, Cocked and Locked SA, and you can decock it without using trigger
EII type Brig upper with Combat type bushing, but barrel long enough to also thread on suppressor or comp
Available mag well like for other pistols

factory extended mags in both max limited and max open lengths.

Pi3
11-05-14, 17:35
M&P9 the size of a Glock 19 with an HKP7 squeeze cocking lever, except without the loud click when being released. 1911 style 5 lb trigger. Integral laser just below the barrel.

mig1nc
11-05-14, 17:38
Steel framed VP9 with PPQ paddles and slide releases, CCP gas system, factory optic mounts, and apex FSS trigger.

Optional 1911safety and threaded barrel.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Achilles11B
11-05-14, 18:36
Full-size single-stack 9mm Glock that somehow has a good 1911 trigger and an ambidextrous mag release.

Voodoo_Man
11-05-14, 19:25
G19 w/ Trijicon HD's, their G17L trigger group and match threaded barrel that shoots around 1 inch at 25y.

That's it, perfect carry gun.

buckshot1220
11-05-14, 20:58
Mine is simple. Basically a VP9L (4.5-5" bbl) that holds 17+1 with Ameriglo Pro i-dot or Ameriglo Spartan sights. Add light of your flavor and a RCS holster and call it a day.

ruchik
11-05-14, 21:07
Single stack Glock 19 with a 1911 trigger, thumb safety optional.

With a grip that starts out as small as possible. I'm talkin' like Kahr P9 sized grip. Not a medium sized grip that gets larger. Additional backstraps would then add circumference and depth to the grip.

jhr1986
11-05-14, 21:14
1911 with glock like reliabilty. Available in single stack .45 acp and double stack 9mm configs.

wildcard600
11-05-14, 21:24
USP full size but with stainless mags and a M&P sized grip.

JulyAZ
11-05-14, 21:32
Any gun from most movies...you know that kind, those ones with unlimited ammo

___TomB___
11-05-14, 21:47
Reduce the HK USP compact to a size of an M&P Shield. Turn in into a striker fired trigger system similar to the HK VP9 or a PPQ. Change the color of the frame to urban gray. The slide and controls are finished with NP3.

10mmSpringfield
11-05-14, 22:20
MP7 in 9x23 Win.

LoveAR
11-05-14, 22:23
Glocks are boat anchors compared to the WC Beretta....:)

BBossman
11-06-14, 00:53
I'm primarily a 1911 guy, but I would put them away for a single stack, 9-10 round G41.

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

11-06-14, 07:26
BHP sized and capacity 9mm.
1911 trigger action. Manual safety.
No grip safety.
Aluminum frame, maybe polymer
Reasonable cost.

mizer67
11-06-14, 07:28
I'd go for a G17 and G19 with at least some Dawson sights stock, the FNS mag well, M&P's mag release and ambi slide release and the VP9's magazines (in 17 rd), trigger and accuracy.

Talon167
11-06-14, 07:29
P30 V1 with a shorter reset. One in every size, the L, the regular, and a compact/subcompact.

Big A
11-06-14, 07:42
Glocks are boat anchors compared to the WC Beretta....:)

Wow...

Clem
11-06-14, 07:58

You mean like these?

WillBrink
11-06-14, 08:24
From thread on list for "optimal" handgun. Mine:

Double stack/high cap 9mm
polymer frame
1911-like ergos
1911-like "SA" trigger
striker fired
1911 - like thumb safety

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?152804-That-quot-Optimal-quot-handgun-%28my-list%29&highlight=spec+op+9

rauchman
11-06-14, 08:55
Interesting thread....

I have 2

1 - DA/SA pistol: Beretta Centurian w/ Sig SRT trigger, dovetailed front sight, USP mag release, Wilson trigger, ambi Beretta 92 or USP slide release, G decocker, HK style O-ring barrel, polymer M9A1 frame with interchangeable back straps and side plates (not sure on polymer frame), red dot ready.

2 - Striker fired: G19/G34 & single stack 9mm subcompact sized, Glock bore/slide height, red dot ready, PPQ trigger, USP mag release, PPQ or USP/VP9 sized trigger guard, striker indicator on back of slide, interchangeable backstraps and side plates, ambi Beretta 92 or USP slide release.

BoringGuy45
11-06-14, 09:22

And loaded with the same kind of ammo: The kind that can literally knock a grown man off his feet and kill him before he hits the ground, but will only cause a flesh wound if I shoot him in the arm or leg to show him that I mean business!

Psalms144.1
11-06-14, 13:23
VP9 grip ergos and accuracy; G19 bore axis/grip length, magazine capacity and accessory availability. Reliability equal to a pre-2010 G19. Happy as a clam...

KCBRUIN
11-06-14, 16:43
VP45 Tactical would pretty much take care of my dream pistol. A single stack Glock 19 would be a close 2nd. I'm not too picky and don't need every little thing tailored to me. I'll take factory goodness if they'd just make them.

Doc Safari
11-06-14, 17:17
A 1911 redesigned to be a "plug'n'play" gun like the Glock with no need for gunsmithing, hand-fitting, extractor tuning, or anything else.

WickedWillis
11-06-14, 17:21
VP45 Tactical would pretty much take care of my dream pistol. A single stack Glock 19 would be a close 2nd. I'm not too picky and don't need every little thing tailored to me. I'll take factory goodness if they'd just make them.

The VP45 could be one of the greatest handguns ever if they do it right. Especially if it takes HK45 magazines, I also wish HK made factory extended magazines for the HK45. I'm talking 13+.

1. An HK USP 45 with a slimmer grip, so my child hands could comfortably put my finger on the trigger.

That is all I can really think of actually.

fixit69
11-06-14, 17:28
A 1911 redesigned to be a "plug'n'play" gun like the Glock with no need for gunsmithing, hand-fitting, extractor tuning, or anything else.

Interesting, a friend and I were talking about the same thing. Would you go steel or polymer?

Doc Safari
11-06-14, 17:30
Interesting, a friend and I were talking about the same thing. Would you go steel or polymer?

I prefer stainless steel, but I'd take a polymer one.

MountainRaven
11-06-14, 20:00
BHP sized and capacity 9mm.
1911 trigger action. Manual safety.
No grip safety.
Aluminum frame, maybe polymer
Reasonable cost.

From thread on list for "optimal" handgun. Mine:

Double stack/high cap 9mm
polymer frame
1911-like ergos
1911-like "SA" trigger
striker fired
1911 - like thumb safety

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?152804-That-quot-Optimal-quot-handgun-%28my-list%29&highlight=spec+op+9

These are close to mine.

BHP size
Double-stack 9mm - with minimum magazine capacity of 13 (with H&K-like magazines - load them to capacity and still lock easily in a gun in battery), with 20-to-25-rounders available
1911 trigger and thumb safety
H&K consistency, accuracy, reliability, and durability
H&K P30/VP9-style magazine release
LAV Glock slide lock (but ambi)
Glock universal rail on dust cover
Steel frame with checkering fore and aft

Probably striker-fired for simplicity's sake.

And I'd be happy if it came in at Colt 1911 to Dan Wesson 1911 prices (less than $2k)

LoveAR
11-06-14, 20:08
I've been through the 1911...get the best 1911 phase. I kept one 1911 out of that bunch because it never failed. ... I prefer Glocks now. Have you ever seen Hickok 45 ring the bells with a Glock?

samuse
11-07-14, 10:35
1911 with glock like reliabilty. Available in single stack .45 acp and double stack 9mm configs.

That's actually been done for quite awhile now, it just costs more than $479...

I would like to see a 2011-ish 9mm built around Beretta 92 magazines.

samuse
11-07-14, 10:37

The more great ideas ya'll come up with, the closer you get to the original 104 year old 1911. A couple file swipes on the thumb safety and barrel lugs and you just built a g.i. 1911....

ramairthree
11-07-14, 11:00
That's actually been done for quite awhile now, it just costs more than $479...

I would like to see a 2011-ish 9mm built around Beretta 92 magazines.

In all honesty,
I would have to say,
ANY 9mm coming to market today would be smart to use Beretta 92 or Glock 9mm magazines or at least compatible magazines. Proven reliable designs that there are a ton of everywhere. It may sound counter intuitive, but why would I want to buy a new Arsenal or XDM in 9mm if I already have 100 Glock and Beretta magazines. Same with a 9mm AR lower or PCC>

I don't know about .40 though. It is my understanding the Beretta mag in .40 is narrower than many other .40 double stacks, and at Limited or Open lengths would always give up some in capacity. (Have not tried it, just heard that about them)

Sam
11-07-14, 11:27
Star Trek Phaser!

Doc Safari
11-07-14, 11:34
Star Trek Phaser!

Amazing how they never failed to hit the target with that thing even though the gun has no sights and the beam comes out slowly enough that a trained person should be able to dodge it.

Big A
11-07-14, 12:29
Star Trek Phaser!

Amazing how they never failed to hit the target with that thing even though the gun has no sights and the beam comes out slowly enough that a trained person should be able to dodge it.

It would be better than a BlasTech E-11. You can't hit a damn thing with those!

PD Sgt.
11-07-14, 14:04
I would be happy with a CZ P07 that came stock with the CGW internals and traditional dovetail sight cuts front and rear with Glock like sight options/availability.

Dirty_H
11-07-14, 15:00
HK 45 Tactical in.....10mm. Little longer barrel than what it has as well. Slide also has to be ready for an RMR or other optic. Also have the capacity of my Glock 20.

As much as I like my G20, it would be out the door so fast.

2nd choice would be a P2000 with a grip like the P30/VP9.

Dirty_H
11-07-14, 15:02
HK 45 Tactical in.....10mm. Little longer barrel than what it has as well. Slide also has to be ready for an RMR or other optic. Also have the capacity of my Glock 20.

Only 2 handguns I would ever "need".

jerrysimons
11-07-14, 17:37
HK VP9 w/ Glock 19 handle height and 15rd flush fitting magazine capacity

and

Walter PPQ w/ Glock 19 handle height and 15rd flush fitting magazine capacity

Calhoun123
11-07-14, 21:45
I don't post much, but I'll play. I would love something like others have suggested - a Glock / 1911 hybrid. I would like a 1911 lower, Glock upper, and Glock trigger. Or, you could call it a striker fired plug and play 1911 in all of its variations. I like to at least have the option of a thumb safety. A G19 sized M&P with a true factory Glock style trigger would be good enough.

ramairthree
11-07-14, 23:43

And WTH do they design all these future guns without trigger guards!

The Dumb Gun Collector
11-08-14, 06:21
HK P7M8/M13 with titanium or Scandium frame. Deeply dehorned/lightened.

The_Watcher
11-08-14, 07:24
Glock 19 with the grip feel of a VP9 and a trigger of a PPQ

Shao
11-08-14, 07:26
1911... with... ummmm.... never mind, there are enough parts out there that I can already build my dream pistol.

But for shits and giggles how about a micro-sized P238/Mini-1911 chambered in .22 LR. That would be a hoot.

yugo308guy
11-08-14, 09:32
HK P7M8/M13 with titanium or Scandium frame. Deeply dehorned/lightened.

This! But with a Price Point below $1000!

jb1911
11-08-14, 11:41
Mine would be a compact 1911 that weighed 12 ounces and was as reliable as my G26.

MegademiC
11-08-14, 13:06
G19 but mechanical accuracy to shoot 1" groups @ 25yds.
or My M&P 40 but in 9mm and a slightly better trigger(mines fine, but not great) - im really not picky.

TCBA_Joe
11-09-14, 14:53
Frame- P320/P250 type grip shell built like an M&P to allow for a removable serialized trigger pack and allows for a manual 1911/M&P type thumb safety or not. Removable backstraps. The removable frames could easily be built to allow for any style of mags to allow for mag compatibility or support ban states with old mags for other guns. Frame could be made from polymer, aluminum, or steel depending on the customer's needs and pocketbook.

Trigger- Striker fired single action, basically an APEX FSS aluminum type trigger. The APEX kit is a legitimately good trigger, not just a compromise and I'd love to see that type of trigger on an off the shelf gun. The P320 and VP9 are good, but the FSS is better.

Slide- Tool-less takedown same as the P320, which uses a single detent to remove the striker plate, extractor, and striker assembly. Internally lightened and tuned springs.

Sighting- Glock or 1911 sight dovetails (for sight availability). ATOM type optic mounting over the whole rear allowing for a standard sight on a plate, or remove the plate and have the sight mounted in front or behind the optic of your choice.

Barrel- Beretta 92 locking style barrel. Easy to suppress and a low bore axis.

I've got some thoughts on a way to modernize the slide but I'm not sure how viable they'd be. With the advantage of a milled lightened slide comes the disadvantage of having your internals exposed. I'm wondering if having a plastic insert to fill those openings would lighten the slide enough. I've seen a plastic insert for the opening on the G34, and I think a 3-sided plastic insert to fill the lightening cuts would work. That insert could also be stippled or textured for cocking serrations without needing milling done. Thoughts?

chiroz
11-11-14, 23:23
Double stack 15 round M&P Shield, de-horned like a Glock. A metal frame insert like the Sig 250, would also be nice so the frame could be altered without diminishing the value of the gun.

teutonicpolymer
11-12-14, 11:32

If we are bringing 10mm into the discussion then I would like either a 10mm VP9/PPQ at Glock 20 size and 5" barrel or an all stainless/carbon steel single action double stack 10mm the size of a Glock 20, with Glock 20 mag capacity using stainless steel mags, 5" barrel length, both a picatinny rail version and regular dust cover version, ball cut slide, Clark style top strap, front and back checkering, front and rear diagonal cocking serrations, Novak dovetails, mounting interface on top for optics, beveled magwell, ambi thumb safety, no grip safety, ambi mag release, ambi slide release, 1911 style bushing but a linkless, ramped barrel and the option of wood or G10 grips.

Maybe the Vltor Fortis will be close to the latter but then again it looks like it is never coming out so what does it matter.

atp
04-11-15, 14:09
Single stack Glock 19 with a 1911 trigger, thumb safety optional.

With a grip that starts out as small as possible. I'm talkin' like Kahr P9 sized grip. Not a medium sized grip that gets larger. Additional backstraps would then add circumference and depth to the grip.

Exactly. However, Glock unfortunately insists on using polymer magazines, which are always fatter than steel. (E.g., XDM magazines are noticeably thinner than the same caliber Glock. Double stack Glock 9mm magazines are nearly as wide as XDM .45 ACP magazines!) It is not a huge difference, but if you're going for the slimmest possible 9mm, you can't get there with Glock polymer magazines.

I love the grip size on my Kahr P9, I just wish it had a Glock trigger, and optional 1911 safety. Oh, and also a slide milled to low-mount a red dot sight. Ideally for a Trijicon RMR but thinner, which does not exist.

And as long as we're talking Possible to Engineer but Does Not Currently Exist, there is good evidence that rotary barrel short-recoil pistols (Boberg, Beretta Px4 Storm) have less felt recoil than those using the much more common modified Browning tilting barrel system. It is unclear why, but the effect seems to be real, and large enough to matter in practice. That tells is there is definitely room for improvement in the shooting qualities of standard pistols.

Watching slow-motion videos, it seems clear that on many (perhaps all) pistol designs, most of the muzzle flip is caused by the sudden jerk of the slide reaching its rearmost point and slamming to a stop against the frame. There is some muzzle rise prior to that simply due to the pistol frame rotating in the hand, but it is much less than the rise caused by the slide. Smooth out that sudden jerk, and you'd probably end up with a friendlier-to-shoot pistol.

mig1nc
04-11-15, 18:01
Exactly. However, Glock unfortunately insists on using polymer magazines, which are always fatter than steel. (E.g., XDM magazines are noticeably thinner than the same caliber Glock. Double stack Glock 9mm magazines are nearly as wide as XDM .45 ACP magazines!) It is not a huge difference, but if you're going for the slimmest possible 9mm, you can't get there with Glock polymer magazines.

I love the grip size on my Kahr P9, I just wish it had a Glock trigger, and optional 1911 safety. Oh, and also a slide milled to low-mount a red dot sight. Ideally for a Trijicon RMR but thinner, which does not exist.

And as long as we're talking Possible to Engineer but Does Not Currently Exist, there is good evidence that rotary barrel short-recoil pistols (Boberg, Beretta Px4 Storm) have less felt recoil than those using the much more common modified Browning tilting barrel system. It is unclear why, but the effect seems to be real, and large enough to matter in practice. That tells is there is definitely room for improvement in the shooting qualities of standard pistols.

Watching slow-motion videos, it seems clear that on many (perhaps all) pistol designs, most of the muzzle flip is caused by the sudden jerk of the slide reaching its rearmost point and slamming to a stop against the frame. There is some muzzle rise prior to that simply due to the pistol frame rotating in the hand, but it is much less than the rise caused by the slide. Smooth out that sudden jerk, and you'd probably end up with a friendlier-to-shoot pistol.

Kahr 9mm with an RMR and enhanced trigger? Check -> http://www.kahr.com/gen2-premium.asp

xray 99
04-11-15, 20:04
A Gen 4 Glock 19 with the current Gen 4 grip texture but a grip shaped like a PPQ.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-12-15, 14:19
A poly or scandium framed single stack 7+1 H&K P7M7. It would be my all time holy grail gun. PLEASE!!!

Barring that platinum unicorn....

Basically the FNS or M&P in a P2000 sized package with H&K mag release but M&P style slide buttons (I HATE THE HK/WALTHER SLIDE LEVERS (and the Glock)).

HKGuns
04-12-15, 14:41
A poly or scandium framed single stack 7+1 H&K P7M7. It would be my all time holy grail gun. PLEASE!!!

Good taste, that indeed would be sweet. [emoji3]

hotrodder636
04-12-15, 18:35
I know my HKs but I had to look up a P7M7....wow, I too would like what you ask for below! Apparently they are unicorn..there are only 6 known in existence!

Barring that platinum unicorn....

Basically the FNS or M&P in a P2000 sized package with H&K mag release but M&P style slide buttons (I HATE THE HK/WALTHER SLIDE LEVERS (and the Glock)).

Aries144
04-13-15, 02:48
ghjkl

ramairthree
04-13-15, 08:15
This is horrible, but today I would say:

EII Beretta frame or M9A1 frame (I have rail days and non rail days)
Vertec slide
And-
no slide safety.

There is a frame mounted safety that does fire/safe/decock.

Even more painful to say- like the Taurus one in function but shape it like the Beretta frame one.

KalashniKEV
04-13-15, 12:39
Method of Operation: Striker fired
Caliber: 9x19mm
Slide/Barrel Length: Glock 19
Frame Size: Glock 19
Trigger: Glock 19
Controls/Mag release: Glock 19
Mag compatibility: Glock 19
Sights: Glock 19

;)

ramairthree
04-13-15, 14:00
Method of Operation: Striker fired
Caliber: 9x19mm
Slide/Barrel Length: Glock 19
Frame Size: Glock 19
Trigger: Glock 19
Controls/Mag release: Glock 19
Mag compatibility: Glock 19
Sights: Glock 19

;)

I still do not understand why Beretta does not make a full size slide/compact frame gun,
and
Glock does not make a 17 upper, 19 lower gun.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-13-15, 17:11
Method of Operation: Striker fired ( I guess, but this really is absurdly over blown). I would only do this because the internet would hate your gun without it.

Caliber: .45 ACP. (everybody loves to practice with 9mm, but as soon as a war cranks up everybody runs for the heaviest, biggest bullet available).

Slide/Barrel Length: Glock 19 (Good choice...4 inches is enough (DAMN IT)

Frame Size: Glock 19 (except not as fat. The gun needs steel mags and to be as thin as possible). VP9 style Ergos.

Trigger: VP9/PPQ. Delete the stupid trigger safety because that is meaningless BS. If you could use a straight-back 1911 style trigger it would be better.

Slide release: M&P/FN Ambi slide release with protective fence (so you don't get slide lock back like you see in all the Glock and HK youtube videos lol). The Glock and HK style exposed, and in the HK's case absurdly oversized levers are asking for trouble, especially at speed.

Mag release: HK paddles because they are ambi and much faster than others.

Mag: Steel. Thinner, stronger, better.

Sights: Anything but Glock or Walther. Holding your front sight on with locktite and screws is sub-Serpa level thinking. Regular ol' dovetails please.

Frankly, the frame should be as small a steel frame as could be machined. Basically a skeletal structure with a plastic grip screwed on. This would prevent flex and limp-wrist issues. Someone needs to get an engineering program cranked up and figure out how to do this. Then you could have interchangeable grip housings that bolt over the mag housing. Also, you could bolt on the dust-cover so you could have smooth or pic rail dust covers (or even Keymod or Mlock).

JusticeM4
04-13-15, 19:21
Not gonna go through all the details, but basically a Glock combined with a 1911.

Does that sound ridiculous? I have both guns and usually lean towards the Block, but 1911's have their appeal and historical significance.

Eta:
1911 trigger
single-stack and double stack models
light weight frame/slide
Melonite finish
external safety options (or none)

I don't know what this monstrosity would even look like...

dirvo85
04-15-15, 04:56
M&P 9MM Mid-Size (Same size if not smaller than a G19)
Thumb safety option with Apex goodies from the factory or a trigger like the PPQ
FDE option.
Threaded barrel option.
Paddle style mag release (I love HK's for this!)

This shouldn't be too much to ask right? They have a full-size and a compact. A mid-size seems in order.

vicious_cb
04-15-15, 05:02
An accurate M&P9 FS...

Shao
04-15-15, 09:24
All steel CZ-75 SP-01 format in .45 ACP with a finely tuned 1911-style trigger (still DA/SA), manual safety, 5" barrel with Sig-style night sights.

okie john
04-15-15, 10:38
Gen4 Glock 17 cut to take G19 mags with a crisp 4-pound trigger and a thumb safety like a 1911.

Okie John

WillBrink
04-15-15, 15:00
A HK VP9 with 2 more rnds in the mag. The end. :cool:

decodeddiesel
04-15-15, 23:11
VP45
12 round USP45 steel mags
Factory Heinie or Trijicon HD sights
VP9/Glock 17 footprint
Sub $700 price point

jpmuscle
04-15-15, 23:15
Glock 19 sized VP9 with trijicon HDs. Boom.

graffex
04-16-15, 10:09
double stack 1911 in 9mm with hk reliability

WillBrink
04-16-15, 10:21
double stack 1911 in 9mm with hk reliability

Such a gun exists:

http://wilsoncombat.com/new/handgun-spec-ops-9.asp#.VS_SxUbvgTk

My brief experience with one, and feedback from friends with extensive use, is very positive. If I were in the market for such a thing, that's what I'd get.

But if you want such a thing you're gonna pay the price for such a thing.

jmoore
04-16-15, 10:36
Basically a Glock (g17 or 19 - matters not) with night sights, a P7 type squeeze "safety", and a trigger that felt like a good 1911.
Flame suit on:)
john

KTR03
04-16-15, 12:51
Basically a Glock (g17 or 19 - matters not) with night sights, a P7 type squeeze "safety", and a trigger that felt like a good 1911.
Flame suit on:)
john

Count me in on the p7m8 derivative. A scandium/titanium/polymer version with a slightly staggered magazine that holds 10 rounds of 9mm would be awesome. The material would make the gun less butt heavy when carrying. Easy to suppress with the fixed barrel... Yes please.

D

PureBS90
04-16-15, 18:13
Gen 3 Glock 17 cut to a G19 length frame, finger grooves removed, light stippling with a good extractor/ejector combo, and a circular magazine release.