PDA

View Full Version : Should I swap uppers on my Sig 516?

Oak
11-06-14, 10:17
Thanks in advance.
I've got a BCM 16"middy, and a Sig 516. I am a lefty shooter, shooting mainly for recreation, hope to take a couple of classes if anything comes up that fits my schedule, and definitely not going to war.
That said, I do like the idea of parts commonality, and I also like the ambi controls of the Sig lower. I see that BCM has uppers on sale and I'm wondering if it would be sensible to buy a 16" or 14.5" BCM upper and put it on the Sig lower. The Sig now has an Eotech on it that I could put on the new upper, along with the Sig BUIS if i decide to get something with a bare rail. I appreciate most any input. I've already heard all of the " dump the piston" crap and don't really need those responses.

Thanks,
Oak

Leftie
11-06-14, 10:28
I picked up a 16" middy upper from BCM that I am extremely happy with. I have around 500 rounds through it and no malfunctions with a Spike's T2 buffer. My upper is wearing a KMR, which I really like too.

wildcard600
11-06-14, 10:49
If you dont want to hear people tell you to get rid of the piston, what advice are you looking for ? BCM is top notch and a known quantity. Other than the par commonality what reason do you have to get rid of the piston upper ?

i'm not sure you really know what you're asking.

Oak
11-06-14, 12:06
Lefty,
Thanks for your reply.
Wildcard,
Other than showing your need for a proofreader, what was the purpose of your reply? While I don't understand it, I do appreciate you taking time out of your busy day to post it.
Oak

rjacobs
11-06-14, 12:15
Im with Wildcard: what purpose does swapping from one 16" upper to another 16" upper get you?

Do you want to get rid of the piston and go to a gas gun?

Do you want the ability to put different handguards on?

Do you think the upper is inferior?

Do you have issues with the current upper?

If the gun runs well, I personally see no reason to spend money to swap from one 16" upper to another 16" upper of basically the same purpose(which seems from your description is basically just a general purpose gun) save for the piston vs. gas. If you were talking about putting a precision upper on it or a shorty upper, I could understand that.

docsherm
11-06-14, 12:18
No need to get rid of the Sig, unless you don't like it. It is not like they are two different platforms.

Oak
11-06-14, 13:14
Guys,
Thanks for getting back.
I do like the Sig, it's never had an issue and reliability is excellent. I've just been reading on this forum and others about trying to stay away from proprietary systems. I was thinking that, with a switch to another upper, I could have two rifles with parts interchangeability as well as being able to buy parts for either from nearly every company making AR parts over my lifetime. I'd also still have the Sig upper for down the road if I build or buy another lower.

Oak

Airhasz
11-06-14, 14:44
Guys,
Thanks for getting back.
I do like the Sig, it's never had an issue and reliability is excellent. I've just been reading on this forum and others about trying to stay away from proprietary systems. I was thinking that, with a switch to another upper, I could have two rifles with parts interchangeability as well as being able to buy parts for either from nearly every company making AR parts over my lifetime. I'd also still have the Sig upper for down the road if I build or buy another lower.

Oak

You can't beat current prices. If you want/need more gear, nows the time.

Oak
11-06-14, 14:46
Much more want than need. Unfortunately, there are a few needs that are keeping me from the buy button. But I'm trying!

Airhasz
11-06-14, 14:55
Much more want than need. Unfortunately, there are a few needs that are keeping me from the buy button. But I'm trying!

Get an upper from bcm while they still have the free BCG and comp. Mine arrived yesterday.

wildcard600
11-06-14, 14:58
Lefty,
Thanks for your reply.
Wildcard,
Other than showing your need for a proofreader, what was the purpose of your reply? While I don't understand it, I do appreciate you taking time out of your busy day to post it.
Oak

Sorry that my post was so incoherent. I was asking the question that almost everyone else in this thread is asking. Why do you want to replace the piston upper ?

Hopefully that was easier for you to read.

GH41
11-06-14, 15:31
I understand the common parts angle but if you put a new top end on the Sig bottom why would you even considering keeping bastard upper?

Oak
11-06-14, 15:38
It does shoot well and is reliable. I might be able to mate it with a lower that I put together one day. I guess I don't like to sell guns if I can help it.

Oak

M&P15T
11-07-14, 10:34
It does shoot well and is reliable. I might be able to mate it with a lower that I put together one day. I guess I don't like to sell guns if I can help it.

Oak

I myself would prefer to have a complete BCM, and/or a complete SIG, rather than bastardizing them un-necessarily. SIGs are good carbines, so I'd just build a BCM, and have two.

Nothing wrong with your SIG, don't get caught-up in name-brand recognition. I own a BCM, but I actually regret selling my S&W to get it.

Oak
11-07-14, 11:07
I myself would prefer to have a complete BCM, and/or a complete SIG, rather than bastardizing them un-necessarily. SIGs are good carbines, so I'd just build a BCM, and have two.

Nothing wrong with your SIG, don't get caught-up in name-brand recognition. I own a BCM, but I actually regret selling my S&W to get it.

This is probably what I'll end up doing, as time allows. I'll start trying to accumulate pieces when I see good deals pop up.

Oak

Alpine2k3
11-07-14, 11:15
I would hang on to it. You could buy a BCM upper and build a lower to go with it later.

Oak
11-07-14, 11:50
Thanks.
That's my plan now. I'll stash parts as I find them, then put something together. Should be a good learning experience.

Oak