PDA

View Full Version : fde glock slide finish wear

farmhard
11-07-14, 06:16
I just picked up a new in box full fde glock 19 gen4, I decided to carry it for a day in my crossbreed iwb holster just to see if the more aggressive grip checkering would bother me. when I finished up for the day I noticed that finish had already worn off of the end of the slide that is in contact with the leather part of my holster, and also there was wear on the slide by the slide lock were it meets the plastic portion of the holster. is this common for this finish to wear this poorly?

CCK
11-07-14, 07:12
it's paint, it may be high tech paint, but it's still paint.

Jwknutson17
11-07-14, 11:59
Pics? Ive run cerekoted slides on pistols for EDC for months without any real finish wear. I dont pull it in and out of the holster daily, but the finish should hold longer then a day. I was just about to pick up the same pistol you got, but might have to hold off longer if this is the case.

Talon167
11-07-14, 12:21
I'd like to see pics as well as I am interested in one of these all FDE Glocks. Cerakote is pretty rugged stuff, though not invincible. I remember a video from MAC about the VTAC M&P back in the day and he was not happy with how easily the cerakote was coming off after just a day or two of holstering, until he found out it was the Kydex wearing onto the gun and not the slide and he was able to just wipe it off or something. So I guess make sure it's actually the slide, but I'd like to see pictures either way.

Flankenstein
11-07-14, 12:33
Post pics. Cerakote is not indestructible but it shouldn't be that fragile.

Jwknutson17
11-07-14, 12:51
Post pics. Cerakote is not indestructible but it shouldn't be that fragile.

Proper cerakote, you can take aircraft cleaner, brake cleaner, gas, etc to it and it doesn't touch it. I spent a whole day buying different products trying to get it off a AR lower receiver. The only thing I could get to take it off was media blasting (abrasive blasting). Your leather should not do it..

HD1911
11-07-14, 16:02
I have a newer Gen 4 G19 in the standard black finish.... and the slide finish is literally the worst I have ever seen on any new Handgun, period. Very Dissapointed.

Flankenstein
11-07-14, 16:28
I have a newer Gen 4 G19 in the standard black finish.... and the slide finish is literally the worst I have ever seen on any new Handgun, period. Very Dissapointed.

That has nothing to do with the OP or this thread.

HD1911
11-07-14, 16:30
That has nothing to do with the OP or this thread.

Yeah, two different Gen 4 Glock's, both having piss poor slide finishes, have nothing in common with each other....

Flankenstein
11-07-14, 16:32
Yeah, two different Gen 4 Glock's, both having piss poor slide finishes, have nothing in common with each other....

Lol. Read the OP- he has the FULL FDE model w/ the "factory" (Lipsey's contracted) ceraokated slide.

Stand down.

CCK
11-07-14, 16:37
Talon,

VTAC MP's weren't cerakoted they were PVD. I believe they still are.

HD1911
11-07-14, 16:38
Lol. Read the OP- he has the FULL FDE model w/ the "factory" (Lipsey's contracted) ceraokated slide.

Stand down.

What makes you think I wasn't aware of the OP discussing a FDE Cerakote? Glocks with garbage finishes that are sold brand new... there's a theme here. Don't care if it's their NIB-X or Cerakote or Parkerized or whatever.

Here's a Gem just for you... my brother bought a Glock brand new, a "factory" (Lipsey's contracted) Nib-x Slide, and they had installed the wrong Slide Lock, rendering the Pistol un-able to be broken down by hand.

Stand Down? Really?

CCK
11-07-14, 16:39

Stand down.

I agree, but there might be something to a poor surface prep below that might be a reason for it coming off.

Flankenstein
11-07-14, 16:40
I agree, but there might be something to a poor surface prep below that might be a reason for it coming off.

Sure- but that's on who ever Lipsey's contracted to do the work.

HD1911
11-07-14, 16:41
Sure- but that's on who ever Lipsey's contracted to do the work.

Which ultimately Falls on Glock, since it's their pistol at the end of the Day. Oh crap, I forgot I was supposed to stand down...

Flankenstein
11-07-14, 16:41
What makes you think I wasn't aware of the OP discussing a FDE Cerakote? Glocks with garbage finishes that are sold brand new... there's a theme here. Don't care if it's their NIB-X or Cerakote or Parkerized or whatever.

Here's a Gem just for you... my brother bought a Glock brand new, a "factory" (Lipsey's contracted) Nib-x Slide, and they had installed the wrong Slide Lock, rendering the Pistol un-able to be broken down by hand.

Stand Down? Really?

You're trying to COMPARE TWO DIFFERENT FINISHES as if they are the SAME finish....really?

Flankenstein
11-07-14, 16:42
Which ultimately Falls on Glock, since it's their pistol at the end of the Day. Oh crap, I forgot I was supposed to stand down...

Yea you really should. How the Cerakote applicators prepped the slide has nothing to do with the Glock factory finish.

HD1911
11-07-14, 16:43
You've obviously got a reading comprehension problem... yes really.

Flankenstein
11-07-14, 16:46
You've obviously got a reading comprehension problem... yes really.

No. Your complaints about your standard Glock finish (The "new" old finish that everyone on Glock talk likes to bitch about) has nothing to do with the OP and his cerakoted slide. Somewhat alarming that you can't see this.

HD1911
11-07-14, 16:56
No. Your complaints about your standard Glock finish (The "new" old finish that everyone on Glock talk likes to bitch about) has nothing to do with the OP and his cerakoted slide. Somewhat alarming that you can't see this.

Yes, I am aware that the OP has a Cerakote Issue. Fully Aware.

Can you not comprehend that Glock putting out all different kinds of Finishes, that are Sub-Standard, all have something in common? Wanna know what it is? Unacceptable.

Flankenstein
11-07-14, 16:58
EDITED: Not going to argue with a Child... it's pointless.

I'll stand down now ;-)

Lol. You know you're wrong but can't admit it...

BACK TO THE OP....get some pics up man!

HD1911
11-07-14, 17:01
Lol. You know you're wrong but can't admit it...

BACK TO THE OP....get some pics up man!

I'm wrong about?

Flankenstein
Yes, I am aware that the OP has a Cerakote Issue. Fully Aware.

Can you not comprehend that Glock putting out all different kinds of Finishes, that are Sub-Standard, all have something in common? Wanna know what it is? Unacceptable.

Why is it so difficult for you to comprehend that Glock did NOT prep or apply the cerakote. They sent Lipsey's their regular FDE framed Glocks w/ black slides.

Also- I'm not a Glock apologist. I think their "new" (old) matte finish sucks but again....NOTHING to do with the OP.

HD1911
Why is it so difficult for you to comprehend that Glock did NOT prep and apply the cerakote. They sent Lipsey's their regular FDE framed Glocks w/ Black slides.

Also- I'm not a Glock apologist. I think their "new" (old) matte finish sucks but again....NOTHING to do with the OP.

It's got their Name on it, does it not?

Here's an example: The Ford Raptor Truck... it has FOX Aftermarket Shocks on it... if they Fail at say 11,000 Miles.... Is Ford on the Hook, with the Consumer to replace it under Warranty? Ford is trusting in said aftermarket company, to deliver a certain Part/s that they've deemed good enough to put on their truck. You can't see a parallel there?

Glock is putting out their own crap finishes, and allowing third party vendors to also put out crap finishes... and at the end of the day, it's still a New Glock Pistol with a Crap Finish that the consumer is not happy with.

JHC
11-07-14, 18:41
I wish my FDE (not full ceracote) G19 showed some finish wear from the last 7 months of nearly daily carry. The old blued guns back in the day showed their work.

HD1911
11-07-14, 19:13
I wish my FDE (not full ceracote) G19 showed some finish wear from the last 7 months of nearly daily carry. The old blued guns back in the day showed their work.

My FDE framed Gen4 G19 has the black slide finish that couldn't be taken off with a Jackhammer.... I wish the newer ones were that durable lol!

farmhard
11-07-14, 20:26
guys I will try to upload pics might take a bit for me to figure it out. I plan on contacting glock on Monday to hopefully get to the bottom of this.

Flankenstein
11-07-14, 21:50

Here's an example: The Ford Raptor Truck... it has FOX Aftermarket Shocks on it... if they Fail at say 11,000 Miles.... Is Ford on the Hook, with the Consumer to replace it under Warranty? Ford is trusting in said aftermarket company, to deliver a certain Part/s that they've deemed good enough to put on their truck. You can't see a parallel there?

Glock is putting out their own crap finishes, and allowing third party vendors to also put out crap finishes... and at the end of the day, it's still a New Glock Pistol with a Crap Finish that the consumer is not happy with.

Sigh. You're twisting everything around and your analogy is weak. If I had nothing better to do I'd rattle off a handful of analogies too.

Bottom line- The OP is having an issue with a finish that is ENTIRELY different than yours. Cool they are both Glocks...yeha, great...that has nothing to do with the OPs issue. The finish on YOUR Glock is different than the finish on HIS.

farmhard
11-07-14, 22:02
http://i1369.photobucket.com/albums/ag233/clippergoodrich/101_0007_zpsc006acd7.jpg (http://s1369.photobucket.com/user/clippergoodrich/media/101_0007_zpsc006acd7.jpg.html)

YVK
11-07-14, 23:17
It's coming off because it can't stand being next to that xs dot sight.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Looks like a premature contact point wear. Prolly would've happened sooner or later, but one day is too soon.

Dunno who's gonna own it, Lipsey's or Glock. Assuming that it is Lipsey's who is making a profit on a special sauce of a finish, it's gotta be them.

El Cid
11-07-14, 23:24

So if a person complains about the Fox shocks on his truck failing, you'd post that your regular F-150 shocks suck. See what happened there? Nothing you've posted in this thread is relevant to the OP's concern.

Flankenstein
11-07-14, 23:37
So if a person complains about the Fox shocks on his truck failing, you'd post that your regular F-150 shocks suck. See what happened there? Nothing you've posted in this thread is relevant to the OP's concern.

Thank you sir.

kantstudien
11-08-14, 01:10
The Ford Raptor Truck... it has FOX Aftermarket Shocks on it... if they Fail at say 11,000 Miles.... Is Ford on the Hook?

No. Fox would be.

Jwknutson17
11-08-14, 10:00
I'm thinking this wear looks like it's just from the kydex on the holster. I have a brand new surefire x300u in the FDE. First time I put it in my raven holster it had black wear marks on the side. I know it's not Cerakoted, but I think this is the same kinda deal. I can't get it to rub off or come off with gun cleaner or wipes. I'm going to try brake cleaner on a Q-tip here in a minute. I would say that it's either from the kydex or other part of the holster and not the cerakote coming off. Could be, but even poorly done cerakote would last 1 day.

Enough of the pretty boy raptor non work trucks... :cool: I guess we should put the glock in a clear box on the mantly and never touch it. We're talking about a EDC work tool and should be used and trained with. It will show character and signs of use. I say run it. It's not like you bought a EDC pistol to look pretty and show your buddies right?? Sucks that it shows wear, but that's the nature of it. Just my .02.

SpeedRacer
11-08-14, 13:12
From what I can tell in the pic, it looks like the cerakote has worn down to bare metal? If that's the case it was certainly not applied and cured properly, simple as that. While no melonite properly applied cerakote is still a durable finish. Lipsey's or whoever they contracted to do the slide finish would be at fault, that didn't come out of the Glock factory.

Trajan
11-08-14, 18:15
1. Looks like kydex wear.
2. How did you even notice that?
3. If you want things to last, don't use them. It's a pistol dude.

No sense in owning something you won't use.

Flankenstein
11-08-14, 18:43

Yea, I was expecting worse. Non-issue.

farmhard
11-08-14, 19:36

1 if you read my original post the wear in the picture I posted is leather not kydex

2 I check my carry weapon everyday to make sure its good to go.

3 I totally understand that things wear, but this is one day of use.

is the slide underneath sill treated for corrosion? if so that does make a difference

og556
11-08-14, 20:57
The metal underneath is protected by the nitration process Glock uses for the slide. I had a Mk25 Desert, which also has a Cerakote finish, with similar wear. I would not worry too much about the corrosion but I still recommend wiping it down occasionally with a good CLP, sentry cloth, or something similar.

MountainRaven
11-08-14, 21:23

I know this has been beaten somewhat into the ground, but....

This isn't the handgun equivalent of a Ford Raptor. This is the handgun equivalent of a Ford F-150 that a dealer installed FOX shocks on.

albatrossarmament
11-10-14, 07:32
I just cerakoted an old Beretta slide. Its holding up very well. But since it still has Beretta's name on it, it's good to know Beretta is on the hook if the cerakote (that I applied) starts to wear.

farmhard
11-30-14, 17:55
update.... I was able to contact glock and lipseys a couple days after I started this thread and they were more than helpful with the hole deal, lipseys was very prompt in responding to my messages and after sees the photos agreed that there was a problem, they then put me in contact with Kodiak coating (the company that does the coating). Kodiak had me send the slide in and in about a week it was returned to me. the slide looks great and I have nothing but good thing to say about the customer service I received. I am disappointed a the some of smart a@# comments that were posted on this tread ,if you don't have any good knowledge or input please don't clog my thread.

Flankenstein
11-30-14, 19:05
Cool, now just don't put it back in the holster...lol.