PDA

View Full Version : Which ankle holster for Shield?

yellowfin
11-08-14, 10:53
What ankle holsters work well for the Shield? I see many options out there. I see a few that specifically mention the Shield and many more that say subcompact 9/40 (i.e. G26 & M&P9c), medium frame .380 auto, 3.5" auto, etc. For example there's the Blackhawk ankle holster in size 12 which says G26/27 and the size 16 which says 3.25-3.75 mid-large frame autos. What has worked for any of you guys who have tried it? This is for all day work where it's important for me to have a gun but absolutely paramount that nobody ever see it or printing. I'm thinking that on my ankle and covered by my cowboy boot top which is inside the pants leg will be totally undetectable. No detection, no controversy--work's written policy says no threat or cause of fear to other coworkers. Sure, it's not as instantly accessible as IWB or OWB but a heck of a lot better than leaving it in my truck. I'm considering getting a Kahr 380 in addition to the Shield which I already have. Thoughts? Anyone else in that kind of situation?

donmacc
11-11-14, 08:44
I have always used Galco Ankle Glove holsters. I find the neoprene band to be very comfortable for all day carry. Galco makes the Ankle Lite holster for the Shield. I have one and it too is very comfortable. It is similar to the Ankle Glove but a different type of leather is used for the holster. The Shield has a longer grip frame than a lot of other sub compact pistols. You may have an issue with the butt of the grip frame rubbing against the inside your boot unless you plan on wearing it high on your leg above the top of the boot. I would check into that before you make the purchase.

Hadoken
11-11-14, 09:09
Sorry, iphone double post

Hadoken
11-11-14, 09:10
I carry a G26 in a Galco ankle glove for 10 hours, 5 days a week and am super impressed with it. I bought it used and still after a year of use its holding up great.
I haven't tried any others but I can't imagine one being more comfortable than the ankle glove. Maybe with the shield being smaller/lighter than the g26 you can get away without the thick neoprene and "wool" on the ankle glove and buy something cheaper though.

El Cid
11-11-14, 10:38
I'm not sure how well an ankle holster will work with cowboy boots. That said, I've tried a few and the best ankle holster I've found is the Alessi. For me it blows the others out of the water. It has a strap and buckle that allows you to find the sweet spot and recreate it every day using the bend that forms in the strap. The types with stretchy neoprene are a challenge each morning. Sometimes you put it on and it's too loose, sometimes it's too tight.

The Alessi also has a felt type of cushioning that breathes much better than the lambskin style used by most makers. The angle is great for concealment and it's very comfortable. I wear it any time I have on pants. I work plain clothes so that's at least all day, every day at work. Every person I know who has tried the Alessi has fallen in love with it.

It's spendy but it's well worth it and you get what you pay for with holsters in my experience. I know some folks at work who have purchased the Galco type over and over because they don't last.

http://www.brownells.com/shooting-accessories/holsters-belt-gear/holsters/ankle-holster-prod40317.aspx

yellowfin
11-12-14, 21:20
Hmm...I didn't see the Alessi or the Galco being offered in left hand. I suppose I should have mentioned that.

El Cid
11-12-14, 21:28
Hmm...I didn't see the Alessi or the Galco being offered in left hand. I suppose I should have mentioned that.
Left handed is an available option.

http://www.alessigunholsters.com/alessi-holsters-ankle-holster-for-smith-wesson-guns/

donmacc
11-12-14, 21:51
I checked both manufacturer's websites. Looks like Galco doesnt make a left handed Shield holster and Alessi makes left handed holsters but not for the Shield. I am surprised. The Shield is a very popular handgun. Perhaps you should contact the manufacturers if you are interested in either.

El Cid
11-12-14, 21:56
I checked both manufacturer's websites. Looks like Galco doesnt make a left handed Shield holster and Alessi makes left handed holsters but not for the Shield. I am surprised. The Shield is a very popular handgun. Perhaps you should contact the manufacturers if you are interested in either.

I'd call Alessi. I suspect the M&P 9C is the same or close enough to the Shield that it will work. Do they use the same slide?

donmacc
11-12-14, 21:58
Desantis makes a left handed Die Hard Ankle Holster for the Shield. It appears to be similar to the Galco (neoprene band). I have no experience with this holster.

donmacc
11-12-14, 22:03
I think the M&P C and Shield slides are different. The fit would be critical since the Alessi does not use a retaining strap.

Beat Trash
11-13-14, 08:51
Yes the slides are different sizes, and thickness between the Shield and the M&P9c.