PDA

View Full Version : Where do you folks shop for duty/defense ammo (5.56 specifically)

shrewd yasu
11-09-14, 13:49
I've been delving into the sorcery that is terminal ballistics lately, and have come to feel foolish for ever thinking my case of fmjs in the closet was good enough. I've read a lot about various loads, soft points, bonded bullets (these appear ideal, no?), and other nosler type stuff.

Thing is, the few places I usually source for my ammo (usually sgammo) has a limited selection.

I'm hoping to keep it near 55 grains so I can stow it and keep shooting my usual load for training and competition, namely wolf gold 55 grain.

Should I just stock up on Speer gold dots and call it good?

I hear some things about federal bear claw, that's also a true 556, which seems good but he'll if I know where to buy any. Natchez is the only place I've seen with a decent inventory.

What say you?

Rekkr870
11-09-14, 13:52
Wherever I can find 55gr Corbon DPX online is where I go. Same POA/POI as 193 for me.

Kain
11-09-14, 14:48
Last few times I have bought defensive 5.56 it has been through SGAmmo. That said, am currently looking for some new stuff, MK262 at the moment and Grant and PSA seem to have about the best price on the CBC stuff. Figure one of them will be the site I get it from so I get try it out, if it works well, maybe attempt to pull a few rounds and clone it since I am starting to reload.

Wake27
11-09-14, 14:57
There are a bunch of posts on here that indicate Federal Fusion is super close to Gold Dots so I've just bought some of that. It's a hunting round so it can be found pretty easily at Walmart or any outdoor stores. I know they make a 62gr, and think there's at least one other weight but not sure. Either way though, there isn't really any need for a 55gr defensive load just because that's what your range stuff is (IMO at least).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ST911
11-09-14, 15:30
]Where do you folks shop for duty/defense ammo (5.56 specifically)

At one of the many site sponsors in the banners above, of course. :)

Alpha-17
11-09-14, 21:29
There are a bunch of posts on here that indicate Federal Fusion is super close to Gold Dots so I've just bought some of that. It's a hunting round so it can be found pretty easily at Walmart or any outdoor stores. I know they make a 62gr, and think there's at least one other weight but not sure. Either way though, there isn't really any need for a 55gr defensive load just because that's what your range stuff is (IMO at least).

^---- This. A 62gr Federal Fusion round should be close enough to 55gr FMJ rounds that a weapon zeroed with one should still make hits within a few MOA with the other. I'd zero it for the "bump in the night" ammo, and just use the cheap stuff for plinking or training.

lunchbox
11-09-14, 21:56
Fusion 62gr for bump in the night and because it has reasonably low expansion velocity (1800ish if not mistaken) so can use in SBR. I use CBC 62gr for plinking/classes and it gives minimal POI shift from Fusion, well minimal enough I can't tell with red dot. I buy both locally, $50ish spread over 556/9mm/7.62x39/22lr every paycheck. It's the only way I can slide it past my wife, who balances family budget... Gotta pay with cash to or she'll see card statement:rolleyes:. Don't ever marry an accountant.

Voodoo_Man
11-10-14, 05:24
Didnt want to start a thread since this one already exists.

I am looking for:

Black hills white tip frang 556
tracers - mil standard
Federal soft tips
speer gold dot soft tips

Anyone know a dealer (that sponsors the site) who has them in stock?