PDA

View Full Version : DT/Hand to Hand...

LawDog
06-23-08, 22:28
For those of you who take DT,hand to hand, or martial arts when you take week long classes what do you take or do to make it through the week. You know those tight/sore joints or the special little stinger the instuctor left you with when it was your turn to be the rag doll? I guess there is always advil and the others. One instructor suggested a beer or two but he really didnt seen to have a sense of humor so I don't know if he was kidding.

Gutshot John
06-23-08, 22:44
NSAIDS (Aspirin, Motrin/Ibuprofen, Naproxen) rely on a cumulative anti-inflammatory effect to reach maximum effectiveness. Taking them once you're already in pain is more of an analgesic effect and inefficient.

I'd ask your doctor for a good regimen, but essentially you would start taking them daily two or three days prior to and during the class.

Basically take the recommended dosage (4x/day for Aspirin, 3x/day for Motrin, 2x/day for Anaprox). Make sure you take it with some food as they're rough on the stomach.

Should make things a lot easier, we used to call Motrin "Grunt Candy."

NCPatrolAR
06-23-08, 22:59
Hot shower/soak in a hot bath, Advi, stretch,etc. Being in decent shape prior to the start of the course often goes a long way to helping with combating soreness as well.

warpigM-4
06-23-08, 23:25
Tiger Balm sold at drug stores,helped me after training in JKD semiar,As said above hot showers,good stretches don't over do it .

Oscar 319
06-24-08, 00:30
Oxycontin and whiskey.

Kidding. Stay in shape. Always stretch before and after, especially the back, shoulders and wrists. I always take copious ammounts of Ibuprophen (800 mg) morning and night when training hard (hard grappling and ground fighting especially). SPRAWL! I can tell I am not 19 anymore.

LawDog
06-24-08, 05:50
Well Im glad to hear I am not the only one who feels I am not 19 anymore. I have been taking advil but didnt start till after day 1, 4 hours a day for the next 3 days. Thanks for the advice.

HolyRoller
06-24-08, 14:28
Might be a case of "Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this!" "well don't DO that." As in, martial arts all day for a week!

I'm well over 19 and I've started learning MMA, but only an hour or two at a time, twice a week. That way, the pain is manageable if you stay in some semblance of cardio fitness and do enough strength training to mitigate injury to your joints and connective tissues. The bruises take longer to fade, so have your story straight when people ask about them.

Not sure how useful this would really be on the street, where people don't just tap out and then let you cuff them, but the fitness and flexibility benefits, plus the experience of being in some kind of physical fight and learning not to get mad, are all worth it. Plus, you may make new friends to watch UFC with.

Oscar 319
06-24-08, 14:36
Might be a case of "Hey Doc, it hurts when I do this!" "well don't DO that." As in, martial arts all day for a week!

I'm well over 19 and I've started learning MMA, but only an hour or two at a time, twice a week. That way, the pain is manageable if you stay in some semblance of cardio fitness and do enough strength training to mitigate injury to your joints and connective tissues. The bruises take longer to fade, so have your story straight when people ask about them.

Not sure how useful this would really be on the street, where people don't just tap out and then let you cuff them, but the fitness and flexibility benefits, plus the experience of being in some kind of physical fight and learning not to get mad, are all worth it. Plus, you may make new friends to watch UFC with.

That's where Krav Maga comes in. No tapping in Krav, just survival.

Warrior
06-24-08, 15:13
I started BJJ and Judo when I was 8 and have been doing MMA for about 10 years with Krav for the past 5. I have had broken fingers, knees, ribs, my nose 4 times and all kinds of bruises, sprains, concussions etc. Anyway I've tried every cream, brace and all kinds of anti pain wonder products and the only thing that is worth a crap is proper stretching and a good warmup. If you only train once a week or so then an aspirin is also good, but if you train daily aspirin thins your blood so all those little cuts bleed alot, let alone a broken nose or busted lip. In the short term though you'll be fine with a balm and a wrap and some over the counter pain killers.

if your ever in vegas let me know I'll introduce you to some real hand to hand stuff.;)

LawDog
06-24-08, 22:33
There is a lot of BJJ in this class, I did not feel as bad this morning as I thought I would. Today was more escapes,guards and throws then the standard arm bars and othe joint benders. I did run out of gas half way through the session. We do 4 hours of DT in the morning and 4 hours of shooting in the afternoon which is almost as taxing as the DT in the Florida sun. Needless to say I am done at the end of the day. Thanks for the tips, I will be better prepared for any future classes.

gjj
06-24-08, 23:21
I am 46 years old. I do Gracie Jiu Jitsu 4 times a week. I think the it is easier to train 4 times a week than just once or twice. When you train more, you are forced to relax to survive. The more I relax the better I do and the less I get injured. The key to getting better is to not try to win every match. Just try new things. Experiment. Work your weak areas. And RELAX.

Of course, on the off days I run, lift weights, stretch, and shoot and hunt.

ampfizo
07-02-08, 21:51
train often..and your body will get use to it...and rest wisely....but then again 15plus yrs of muay thai and 5 yrs of bjj i still get sore...oh well....:confused:

LawDog
07-03-08, 22:39
Thanks for the help. To make things worse, I fell on my ribs or my partner landed while I had my hand under me or a peice of stray gear hit my ribs. It's been a week and it still smarts. On a good note most of the brusies are gone.