PDA

View Full Version : Sig 229 Single Action Issue?

Vegas
11-10-14, 16:49
Hey all,

I recently picked up a very clean used 9mm Sig 229, german made frame with what looks like a Legacy Elite slide. I ran a couple of hundred rounds through it for the first time yesterday and on two occasions experienced the gun going to double action mid magazine. What would be the cause of this?

Thanks for any input you can give.

Cheers,
Matt

gtmtnbiker98
11-10-14, 19:20
Does it have the short reset trigger (SRT)?

Vegas
11-10-14, 21:21
Does it have the short reset trigger (SRT)?

It does not. How would the SRT affect things? Curious because I am considering one for the future.

I think I may have it figured out. I'm 99% certain it happened when I was shooting my reloads (had some factory ammo as well). I just started using Tula primers and was reading that sometimes they can be a bit harder than other primers. Single action strike didn't ignite but then did ignite on the subsequent double action strike. Thoughts?

L-2
11-10-14, 23:37
My thought is a new hammer spring. This will likely increase your double action trigger pull, however. Even so, this will be a good thing to try for the sake of reliability. You might want to order one in the stock weight, and another a bit heavier.

You'll have to determine if your P229 has a "plastic base" for the hammer spring or not, then order the correct springs. See gunsprings.com for more info. That's Wolff's website.

signal4l
11-11-14, 06:11
If your 229 decocks while firing, my guess is that there is a problem with the sear and/or hammer. Have the gun checked by an armorer or send it to the factory.

Not a spring issue

Vegas
11-12-14, 12:31
Good info, thank you. Even tho the gun is super clean, never hurts to have an armorer run over it.

JimmyB62
11-15-14, 08:33
I think I may have it figured out. I'm 99% certain it happened when I was shooting my reloads (had some factory ammo as well). I just started using Tula primers and was reading that sometimes they can be a bit harder than other primers. Single action strike didn't ignite but then did ignite on the subsequent double action strike. Thoughts?

If you're getting misfires then it's an ammo problem, not a mechanical issue. Your first post made it sound like the gun was just randomly decocking. It should be obvious if you're pulling the trigger and getting a click, not bang. Can you elaborate?

opmike
11-15-14, 10:43
So many of these misfire/FTF threads can be traced back to someone using reloaded ammo of questionable quality.

If you're trying to diagnose a problem, you need to eliminate some variable so you're not just running around in circles. Run 500 rounds of known, quality, factory ammo through the gun and see where you are then.

gtmtnbiker98
11-15-14, 13:54
It does not. How would the SRT affect things? Curious because I am considering one for the future.

I think I may have it figured out. I'm 99% certain it happened when I was shooting my reloads (had some factory ammo as well). I just started using Tula primers and was reading that sometimes they can be a bit harder than other primers. Single action strike didn't ignite but then did ignite on the subsequent double action strike. Thoughts?Bubba SRT installs can lead to a bent hammer bar that may lead to issues as you describe.

Robb Jensen
11-15-14, 19:06
Sounds like it needs a new sear spring and possibly a new sear and or mainspring.

Vegas
11-17-14, 00:50
I hear Sig's turnaround times are pretty decent. After running some factory ammo through, if it still does it I'll probably just have them look it over.