PDA

View Full Version : P30 and P2000 Redundant?

w3453l
11-10-14, 19:15
I was looking at both the P30 (standard size - not the L) and P2000 (full size - not the SK) both in LEM, and both in 9 mm.

I wanted to hear some opinions from people who have owned both, or have experience with both of these as to how similar they are.

I know that the P30 is supposed to be an improvement on the P2000 with better ergos, and maybe other features. But is it really that different? I can see a difference with the grip for sure, and the P30 is a little larger in size vs. the P2000. Would the differences between the two models justify owning both? Or would it be a little redundant to have the P30, and the P2000?

I don't really see magazine size as an issue since the P2000 can still fit a P30 magazine, and other minor things like the small mag release paddles on the P2000 can also be changed out.

I've asked this question to Montrala before, and he had a valid point. But I wanted to hear from some others as well; especially from others that don't have to pick between the two options on the basis of local laws.

Thanks

Kain
11-10-14, 19:42
What does one model do for you that the other doesn't is my first question. If they both achieve the same things then get the one that fits you better, you like more, or gets your dick harder and rock on. If you are a collector then yes the differences justify owning both but otherwise it would be for me which fits me better which would be a P30. Now that said, if you are looking at the LEM triggers in both, I would seriously start looking at the VP9 because personally the draw to the P30 for me is having the DA trigger, otherwise I'd just go to the VP9 even though there are some things that I don't 100% like about it, though are by no means things I can't live with.

YVK
11-10-14, 20:02
There are multiple people who feel that 2000 conceals notably better.
There are at least two people who feel that 2000 tracks up and down better due to grip shape and texture or what have you.
I find neither of those things true for me, and I think 30 is better ergonomically and has more sight choices, but here you go, people don't treat those guns the same.

ralph
11-10-14, 21:40
I've had a P-30LEM, and still own a P-2000 LEM.. For me, the P-30LEM was one pistol I couldn't get along with, I put 2-3000rnds through it in about 6-7 months, and at the end of those 6-7 months, I wasn't any better with it than when I started.. I don't miss it. OTH, My P-2000 shoots great for me, and it is much easier to carry, especially in the summer. I can carry it under a tee shirt with no problems.

OP, you'll likely get a lot of opinions which is better, If you could, try them both out see for yourself, I also own a VP9, and while it's a lot like a P-30, I shoot it well, It's not a P-30.. As far as how similar they are to each other,(P-30,P-2000) IMO, not very.. If I were going to try a P-30 again, I'd try a "L" in DA/SA...

Sensei
11-10-14, 23:41
There are multiple people who feel that 2000 conceals notably better.
There are at least two people who feel that 2000 tracks up and down better due to grip shape and texture or what have you.
I find neither of those things true for me, and I think 30 is better ergonomically and has more sight choices, but here you go, people don't treat those guns the same.

I'm among those who feel that the P2000 is significantly more concealable than the P30. Here's why:

Notice the shorter grip on the P2000 (top/right). This small difference goes a long way in preventing "imprinting" under a shirt. The slide is also about 1/2" longer on the P30 (see below) which is a less significant consideration.

However, I find the P30 much easier to shoot due to the texture of its grip side panels. That grit texture does a great job at keeping the P30's grip from slipping in my sweaty palms. The vertical lines on the P2000 are lacking in that regard. This is especially true when shooting 40SW. FWIW, I have the same issue shooting a HK45C which has essentially the same grip design as a P2000. After 3 rounds, I'm having to adjust me grip because the gun is sliding.

YVK
11-11-14, 08:24
Good pics.

I carry AIWB, where dimensional specs important for concealment go in order thickness> grip length> barrel length. Despite the shorter grip on P2000, thickness is the same and I have to go the same length of effort to hide it in AIWB as I do for P30. Otherwise it'll print. I think narrow waisted folks will appreciate shorter grip of P2000 more so than full bodied :) figures like me when appendix carrying.

Pappabear
11-11-14, 13:26
They are definitely redundant. At least to a large degree. But we would all have 1 shotgun, 1 rifle and 1 handgun if redundancy was a priority. I have many and don't care.

That being said, one thing to consider: some people think the ruff texture irritates their side meat when carrying. I think that's why the HK45 compact has the old style grip. I like all the above. And agree with their is some chaffing with new grips. So get both.

montrala
11-11-14, 16:27
P2000 and P30 each were designed to meet specific customer needs. P2000 was designed for German Police for uniformed (open) and plainclothes (concealed) carry in mind. P30 was designed for German Border Guard with uniformed carry in mind. Actually Border Guard tender had "Walther P99" wrote all over it, and HK made quite a stir with P30 (they needed to up standard mag capacity from P2000 13rd for example).

In this regard, they are not redundant, as P2000 makes much better pistol for long term concealed carry, while P30 is much better pistol for shooting. At least this is my experience from EDC carrying P2000 and P2000SK for several years, as well as carrying P30 or P30L occasionally.

teutonicpolymer
11-12-14, 11:22
I would rather carry a P2000 over a P30

Maybe the P30sk will change this

Psalms144.1
11-12-14, 12:36
I have both, and when I was carrying HKs for work (plain clothes) I carried the P2000. It is A LOT more "concealable" due to its shorter grip. Replace the standard magazine floorplates with flat floor plates, and the pistol is noticeably smaller than the G19, which I consider the "gold standard" for a concealable 9mm double stack pistol.

On the range, I find no difference in accuracy or "shootability" between the two; in fact, with the "TLG" LEM trigger in both, I think the P2000's trigger is slightly nicer than the P30s.

Yes, the P30 FEELS better in the hand, due to grip shape/modularity/texturing, but that doesn't equate to a hill of beans worth of difference TO ME on the line.

Regards,

Kevin

jyo
11-20-14, 21:09
Redundent? Not hardly---not even when up against the striker gun (VP9)---both the P30 and the P2000 are truly fine examples of modern (poly) pistols---I have a P30S 9mm (DA/SA) and consider it one of my favorite pistols---I've also owned another two HKs---the P2000 9mm (DA/SA) and it's little brother, the P2000sk 9mm with the "light" LEM trigger system---the smaller pistols are definitely easier to conceal---still have 'em all---might even add a VP9---why the hell not...

RHINOWSO
11-25-14, 15:28
Had to chose between the P30 and the P2000SK for my winter carry. Even though the SK benefits from grip being shorter, I'd take the P2000 over the P30.