PDA

View Full Version : Which Keymod Panel?

Tenured Student
11-11-14, 10:22
I am looking to buy panels for my Keymod Rail system. Which one is the best? I welcome your thoughts.

markm
11-11-14, 10:44
Right now, that Midwest Industries seems to be the best bang for the buck. I've been happy running mine naked so far.

Shiz
11-11-14, 11:03
MI definitely. Like Mark suggested, if you are running the BCM KMR, you will be surprised at how little they heat up without panels though.

Leftie
11-11-14, 14:16
I like the Noveske panels mostly because they are low profile enough to sit with the keymod nut directly underneath a gas block on the NSR rail when attached and not touch the gas block.

They're a bit pricy though.

Plasman
11-11-14, 14:25
I like the Noveske panels mostly because they are low profile enough to sit with the keymod nut directly underneath a gas block on the NSR rail when attached and not touch the gas block.

Man I hate those things! They're such a PITA to get on and off unless you have a really slick finish on your rails like a Fortis REV.

fifthward
11-11-14, 17:12
I have the NOVESKE NSR panels on my KMRs...and they work fine.
No problem sliding them on...or off.

Voodoo_Man
11-11-14, 18:45

I've had them fall off a few times during hard use, nothing too serious...they are nice panels for the money you cannot go wrong.

ghostsup
11-11-14, 19:21
Like markm I am sporting the naked look as my BCM rail never get's hot enough to need a cover. I would go with the BCM angled panels but I think they are a figment of my imagination at this point. They are never in stock (have they ever been available?)

Airhasz
11-11-14, 20:35
Man I hate those things! They're such a PITA to get on and off unless you have a really slick finish on your rails like a Fortis REV.

Buy yourself a heat gun and stop fighting with them.

Eurodriver
11-11-14, 20:45
Midwest Industries. I've used them and Noveske and prefer MI by a wide margin.

They are thinner, have better texture, and secure using better design. I honestly have no idea why people throw those junk Noveske panels on their rifles, other than to tell people they have Noveske panels on their rifles. I'm serious, MI's are that good.

Airhasz
11-11-14, 21:18
Midwest Industries. I've used them and Noveske and prefer MI by a wide margin.

They are thinner, have better texture, and secure using better design. I honestly have no idea why people throw those junk Noveske panels on their rifles, other than to tell people they have Noveske panels on their rifles. I'm serious, MI's are that good.

I like my NSR Panels on my NSR Handguard, they work fine for me. On your recommendation I'll try some MI panels on a KMR and see if they are "that good".

cemoulton
11-11-14, 21:30
every one laughs but i put skate board grip tape on the bottom of my free float rails.

it's about as cheap as you can get and completely non slip.

KingsideRook
11-11-14, 21:31
I have Midwest Industries panels on 4 KMR rails, they secure snugly and are very low profile - the KMR isn't too thick with them on 3 sides. I really prefer MI panels to running the rails bare, as they heat up quickly on a rapid firing schedule in the summer heat. Also it allows me to put a thumbstop where I need it without adding weight.

Leftie
11-12-14, 02:37
every one laughs but i put skate board grip tape on the bottom of my free float rails.

it's about as cheap as you can get and completely non slip.

I'm not laughing, I do something similar. I put grip tape on the front strap of uncheckered 1911s, on the magwell of my ARs, and on areas where grip is a bit important. I think that it's one of the best little secrets in the shooting industry.

Just remember to wipe the area you want to apply the skateboard tape to with rubbing alcohol first to create an oil free adhering surface.

sva01
11-12-14, 15:50
I have the MI panels and am very happy with them.
Not being a very smart/mechanical guy, I had early trouble trying to get the damn things on, but after I figured the first one out, the rest went quickly.

Eurodriver
11-12-14, 16:53
I like my NSR Panels on my NSR Handguard, they work fine for me. On your recommendation I'll try some MI panels on a KMR and see if they are "that good".

If you buy black ones and don't like them, I will give you the used market price for them (no handstop)

I don't say this because I'm trying to sell you on the MI panels, just letting you know I'll take them off your hands if you want to get rid of them.

Airhasz
11-12-14, 17:20
If you buy black ones and don't like them, I will give you the used market price for them (no handstop)

I don't say this because I'm trying to sell you on the MI panels, just letting you know I'll take them off your hands if you want to get rid of them.

Black panel kit ordered.

brianc142
11-12-14, 18:25
Right now, that Midwest Industries seems to be the best bang for the buck. I've been happy running mine naked so far.
Yep. I've tried them all and MI are hands down the best.

ghostsup
11-12-14, 19:33
Yep. I've tried them all and MI are hands down the best.

Have you (or anybody) tried the BCM angled panels or have those even been released to the market yet? They have been out of stock forever and I'm just curious if it's a concept or if it's reality?

brianc142
11-12-14, 21:12
I haven't tried those but they haven't been released yet. The MI ones are going to be hard to beat though. These are the only MI products I own but they are nice. The MI keymod rail looks great too but I've never handled on in person.

wilson1911
11-12-14, 21:53
One of the things to consider on rail panels is the thickness of them. As stated in the above posts, different brands change the diameter of the rail. This gives the gun a different feel when wrapping your hand/fingers around the KM rail. Hand size is something to also consider when selecting panels. I have also found that running no panels are great also. Heat is not really an issue unless high rates of fire are sustained for longer periods.

I currently have Noveske and Kac panels on my guns, and I am not totally happy with either. I have a few NSR's and KAC Rails. I just looked at the MI panels and will be ordering a set of these to try out.

As always, thank you all for the good threads and the dip into my pocket book on a good purchase.

gman556
11-13-14, 21:14
I have the MI's and am very happy with them. I like the way the secure to the keymod.

HCrum87hc
11-14-14, 08:05
Does anyone have a picture of these mounted on a Fortis Rev? Planning on picking some up soon.

Mdbwhntr
11-14-14, 17:04
MI's for all the reasons mentioned above

SiGfever
11-15-14, 10:44

+1. The Noveske panels work very well and I have not had an issue installing or removing them.

Korgs130
11-15-14, 11:27
+1 on the Noveske panels from me as well. I have them on both my NSR and my KMR. When it's time to put them on (or take-home off) I heat them up with a hair dryer for a couple of seconds and they slide right on (or off). I got to see some of the BCM panels at a class last month and I'm looking forward to trying those when they are released.

mrgrinch
11-16-14, 15:13
Does anyone have a picture of these mounted on a Fortis Rev? Planning on picking some up soon.

http://i58.tinypic.com/11j6upz.jpg

Beat Trash
11-16-14, 22:47
MI panels on mine for all the reasons already listed. Plus the fact that with the panels on three sides, the gun isn't as cold to grab ahold of with bare hands in the winter. Discover this when deploying my Patrol Rifle at work today. Rifle kept in the trunk of the car. Didn't have time to put gloves on.

Airhasz
11-16-14, 23:07
Are these MI panels staying tight after heavy use or are people using a little thread locker on the attachment screw threads?

kpinole
11-16-14, 23:37
Noveske panels work great for me as well.

Benito
11-17-14, 05:54
MI. Their KeyMod handstops are really good and reasonably priced.

Beat Trash
11-17-14, 10:20
Are these MI panels staying tight after heavy use or are people using a little thread locker on the attachment screw threads?

I didn't use thread lock on mine. I just tightened them "extra snug". I didn't want to over tighten them.

No issues of them loosing up so far. They stay tight.

They have just enough texture that I would never think of stippling them, without being too rough.

I put them on three sides of my KMR rail, in the location of my support hand. It makes the MKR rail feel very rounded.

I bought mine only because BCM had yet to release their rail covers for the KMR hand guard. BCM has yet to release their covers. But it doesn't matter to me, the MI covers are staying on both of my KMR hand guards.

HCrum87hc
11-17-14, 14:23
http://i58.tinypic.com/11j6upz.jpg

Thanks grinch. Looks like there are some MI panels in my future.

pyzik
11-17-14, 14:42

Mine were not low pro enough to fit where the gas block is, at least at the 6 o'clock position. I had to modify the tabs to get them to fit. Now one panel is a little loose.

Cwayaustx
11-17-14, 16:34
I have some noveski panels I have yet to install. Just ordered MI's for my other ar's. Will see which I prefer and post up here. I like the bare rail also but after a few hundred rounds they start heating up.

pyzik
11-17-14, 16:43
I have some noveski panels I have yet to install. Just ordered MI's for my other ar's. Will see which I prefer and post up here. I like the bare rail also but after a few hundred rounds they start heating up.

I took a class and while the rail didn't heat up too bad, I did accidentally touch the gas block through the rail. *OUCH*
That's when I decided to to get rail panels.