PDA

View Full Version : Optic choices

Cincinnatus15
11-11-14, 10:28
I have a BCM 20 A4 style rifle and I'm having trouble deciding what optic to choose. I want something that I can shoot at 200+ with decent magnification but I also want it to be fast up close. Also needs to be reliable. Would an ACOG (RCO) be my best option?

nimdabew
11-11-14, 11:21
If you do go that wa with an COG, there are a lot of them on the EE here. I have one for sake too.

Most people will tell you to look at the 1-4 variables though. Me? I am using irons right now.

Cincinnatus15
11-11-14, 11:41
What 1x4 variables are the most reliable? Would a Leupold Mark AR be one?

Pi3
11-11-14, 12:54
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?104-1-4-Variable-optic-options/page50

more than you ever wanted to know.

BrigandTwoFour
11-11-14, 22:23
Just something to think about. I also have a BCM 20" A4 upper and am currently running carry handle sights. As an experiment, I mounted a TR24G from another gun on it to see how it would run. When running at 1x, I found the fixed FSP to be disorienting. No issues once magnification went up, though.

I would probably lean towards an ACOG or RDS.

Cincinnatus15
11-12-14, 10:58
Thanks - RDS wouldn't be a bad option? I just feel like with the 20" a scope would be better for distance, but I don't want to sacrifice close range capability. I may just get a RDS for general purpose and have a scope for when I want to reach out a little further.

MBtech
11-12-14, 14:00
I've been considering the Hi Lux CMR
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l27uTiDjre0

Doc Safari
11-12-14, 15:35
I've been considering the Hi Lux CMR
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=l27uTiDjre0

I like that reticle. What makes the Leatherwood better than the equivalent Leupold?

Is that CMR sufficiently rugged to survive mishaps in the field?

BrigandTwoFour
11-12-14, 20:20
Thanks - RDS wouldn't be a bad option? I just feel like with the 20" a scope would be better for distance, but I don't want to sacrifice close range capability. I may just get a RDS for general purpose and have a scope for when I want to reach out a little further.

The RDS will be just fine inside 200. My wife has taken her EOTech XPS 2 out to 300 consistently. But magnification does make it easier.

I want to caveat that my experience with the fixed front sight in front of a 1-4 optic is just my observation in conjunction with the TR24G. It was still very usable if I needed it; it just wasn't as "pleasant" as when I shoot it on a gun with a folding front sight. It might not bother you at all.

MBtech
11-13-14, 10:36
I like that reticle. What makes the Leatherwood better than the equivalent Leupold?

Which Leupold are you comparing to?

I can't say that it is better as I have not owned either one yet.
The reticle really catches my eye for sure, has a circle dot for quick target engagement and bdc for longer shots.

Rugged enough? I can't say from experience yet but Leatherwood has been making scopes for a long time. I'm actually considering this optic for my SCAR17 for hog hunting. In the MAC review he rivals the clarity with higher end glass.
For my budget at this time the price is hard to beat. Has a limited lifetime warranty which is good, but if money was no object I'd be getting a USO 1-8 SR8c. As with any mishaps in the field with any optic, that's where in my opinion a qd mount and back up iron sights come into play.

MBtech
11-16-14, 09:37

I just ordered a Leatherwood CMR 1-4 yesterday from SWFA. I'll have a better idea in a few days as far as my own opinion of build quality and clarity. Hoping it's in fact quick like a RDS and give some ranging at med range.