PDA

View Full Version : Front Sights for a HD/General Use Carbine

TacticalSledgehammer
11-11-14, 13:33
I don't have a huge collection of guns and only have one ar-15 type of rifle. I currently own a DD V5 and recently have been giving thought of switching to a V3 upper (I may consider others) with a fixed front sight. For a do everything type of weapon, would you prefer a fixed front sight in case the rail were to get knocked out of alignment?

wildcard600
11-11-14, 13:42
Forged FSB is probably by far the most durable. i dont know if i would be comfortable with my only rifle not having one.

markm
11-11-14, 13:43
For a do everything type of weapon, would you prefer a fixed front sight in case the rail were to get knocked out of alignment?

YES!!

I smashed a fixed buis and damage the rail beneath it. I was able to replace the sight, and bend the rail back pretty straight using the front of an old cut down carry handle. But it really made me appreciate the good old forged steel, pinned FSB.

Cobrasks
11-11-14, 14:08
For a do everything type of weapon, would you prefer a fixed front sight in case the rail were to get knocked out of alignment?

I guess I'll be the first one to say NO .
I went with the standard FSB for years .
I'm not real happy with any of the free float hand guards that are made
so that you can keep the old A-frame FSB .
Once you decide to get rid of that FSB and go with something that attaches to a rail
the list of good available free float rails is huge .
I personally prefer to shave off the original pin-on FSB for my gas block
and use a quality rail mounted folding front BUIS .

Keep in mind that in my case the BUIS will be folded out of the view of
some type of optic .

Iraqgunz
11-11-14, 15:12
The original FSB is no doubt solid. But I would have no problem (in fact I do) using a front slip sight. Of course if you buy some shitty no name rail and some shitt no name sights, that's a different story. I highly doubt anything I am doing with my weapons nowadays is going to cause massive failure or damage.

Alpha-17
11-11-14, 15:16
I've ran fixed front sight posts for years on issued M4s, and only recently started using an AR with a low profile gas block, and flip up sights. There is no comparison, especially with any form of optic, the FSB has to go. The potential risk of a rail being bent is relatively minor, when you get right down to it, the front sight post could be bent as well.

samuse
11-11-14, 17:24
The only fixed front rail mounted sights I like are Daniel Defense and LMT.

A FSB is better, but how much, only you can decide.

Kain
11-11-14, 17:37
OP are you running an optic? If running only irons I have a preference for fixed irons with a forged FSB on my AR along with a solid fixed rear, either DD A1.5 or a carry handle. If I am running a RDS then I can swing either way though I might prefer the FSB for simplicity purposes if I am not going to mount anything other than the RDS and am working at with a middy. Magnified optic then I prefer folders generally.

TacticalSledgehammer
11-11-14, 20:24
The only fixed front rail mounted sights I like are Daniel Defense and LMT.

A FSB is better, but how much, only you can decide.
Actually I'm planning on getting the LMT rear and maybe the DD or Troy fixed front rail sight, if I stay with the free float configuration.

OP are you running an optic? If running only irons I have a preference for fixed irons with a forged FSB on my AR along with a solid fixed rear, either DD A1.5 or a carry handle. If I am running a RDS then I can swing either way though I might prefer the FSB for simplicity purposes if I am not going to mount anything other than the RDS and am working at with a middy. Magnified optic then I prefer folders generally.
I am have an aimpoint R-1 on it currently with a DD lower 1/3 mount. I think I should be good either way with this setup, right?

markm
11-12-14, 07:39
The LMT is the beefiest if you can stand the massive knob. It's right in the way of my weapon light, so I only run a few of the LMTs. The DD is the one I broke. I still run a few DD front sights. I did buy a TROY HK style front sight and it's pretty fragile feeling. The standard fixed front sight looks like it had much beefier ears than the HK style.

M&P15T
11-12-14, 08:32
I've never had an FSB on an AR, and I would consider doing so a step backward.

Using modern optics, there's actually very little need of BUIS at all. I would be very comfortable having an AR with no BUISs, and just an Aimpoint , ACOG or Eotech.

markm
11-12-14, 08:41
Using modern optics, there's actually very little need of BUIS at all. I would be very comfortable having an AR with no BUISs, and just an Aimpoint , ACOG or Eotech.

There's no way I'd ever do that on a serious use gun. As much stuff as I've broken??

I'm even nervous that I don't have QD mounts on the Dot sights I do have running... incase I need to get them the hell out of the way in a hurry.

M&P15T
11-12-14, 09:06
There's no way I'd ever do that on a serious use gun. As much stuff as I've broken??

I'm even nervous that I don't have QD mounts on the Dot sights I do have running... incase I need to get them the hell out of the way in a hurry.

A "serious use" gun?

Nevermind.......I think we differ on that point.

Junkie
11-12-14, 09:09
I looked into what sights to run a while back and decided on Samson for fixed sights.

wildcard600
11-12-14, 09:16
Didn't you hear ? This is America, ALL guns are range guns. If you need a gun for defense get a shotgun and call the police.

Dirty_H
11-12-14, 09:17
I like the carbine that I trust my life to to have the fixed front sight. Just reassuring.

Jesse H
11-12-14, 09:22
A "serious use" gun?

Nevermind.......I think we differ on that point.

One that actually goes into harms way.

I have had an Eotech take a dump on me before. Fortunately, it was only at a class.

caporider
11-12-14, 09:25
I like the carbine that I trust my life to to have the fixed front sight. Just reassuring.

I feel the same way. All my ARs not exclusively dedicated to precision shooting now have FSBs.

M&P15T
11-12-14, 09:38
One that actually goes into harms way.

I have had an Eotech take a dump on me before. Fortunately, it was only at a class.

I can understand that concept, but since I don't go into harm's way with mine, I have no worries.

I think it's also interesting to see some top-level folks like Delta and DEVGRU not using BUISs on their 416s. It shows they have a lot of faith in their optics and PEQ-15s.

What model/revision of Eotech dumped on you?

samuse
11-12-14, 09:39
I've never had an FSB on an AR, and I would consider doing so a step backward.

I'm right in the middle of both of these. I've had and seen more problems with buis than I have with Aimpoints. I honestly think an Aimpoint is tougher than most any buis out there. But anything can fail.

My last optic was a T-1 in a Daniel Defense mount and it made me nervous too. When I want it gone, I want it gone now.

samuse
11-12-14, 09:41
The LMT is the beefiest if you can stand the massive knob. It's right in the way of my weapon light, so I only run a few of the LMTs./...

That's definitely something to consider, especially if you want to run an X30 @ 12:00 in front of the sight. You can get rid of the thumb nut for a regular one and it makes it a lot easier to deal with..

markm
11-12-14, 10:44
I've still not got my lazy ass down to the hardware store get a slim nut for the LMT sight.

Shao
11-12-14, 11:06
I run fixed FSBs on all of my iron-only guns. Everything else gets an optic of some sort except for my DDM4V1, which wears DD fixed BUIS.

I have my LMT fixed rear on my dissy and it's the tits. It is a beast though. I wish a reputable company would come out with a lighter version.

nova3930
11-12-14, 11:06
My engineering training makes me like simple and reliable, therefore all my rifles have FSBs on them. FSBs have been carried around and beat to hell and back from the jungles of Vietnam to the burning desert of Iraq and everywhere in between and they keep working. That's as good a test as you're gonna get IMO....

Digital_Damage
11-12-14, 11:46
this debate seems to come up once a week...

Get the KAC micros... and call it a day.

TacticalSledgehammer
11-12-14, 12:15
Thanks for all the input guys.
Markm, you must dig ditches with your rifles. Holy crap you've broken a lot of things! You are kind of guy I was seeking this info from. I break things a lot as it is. Thanks to you and everyone else that has answered!

Jesse H
11-12-14, 12:15
I can understand that concept, but since I don't go into harm's way with mine, I have no worries.

I think it's also interesting to see some top-level folks like Delta and DEVGRU not using BUISs on their 416s. It shows they have a lot of faith in their optics and PEQ-15s.

What model/revision of Eotech dumped on you?

512 that was issued. This one one I believe was 8 years old and never had an issue with it until that day when I said, "I've never had an issue with mine." Next drill it turned off after a string of fire, since I have a FSB on the gun and I keep the BUS up, I was able to finish the drill. Afterwards I was able to turn it back on without issue the rest of the class.

I immediately bought another rifle and put an Aimpoint on it.

markm
11-12-14, 12:31
Markm, you must dig ditches with your rifles. Holy crap you've broken a lot of things!

I'm a ham fisted idiot with a red hot temper. ;)

caporider
11-12-14, 12:40
I'm a ham fisted idiot with a red hot temper. ;)

Would hate to see your golf clubs... :p

C-grunt
11-12-14, 12:46
Im also an advocate of the FSB on a serious use gun. I had a guy in my company get his Aimpoint shot off his rifle. Not all optic failures ar result of the optic. Also in shoot outs its pretty common for people to zero in on the other persons gun and bullet strikes to the gun are common.

That being said I went a whole tour in Iraq with no rear BUIS on my DMR as the ACOG I was using wouldnt fit one behind it. I never had a problem even after several IED blasts. Though I did keep the carry handle in my kit just incase.

markm
11-12-14, 12:49
Would hate to see your golf clubs... :p

I'm not good enough at golf to get mad at poor play. I par'd a hole once.

Trajan
11-12-14, 13:21
I wouldn't worry assuming they're folding. If they get impacted, they'll just fold. I really like the KAC Micros and Magpul Pros.

Most high end guns come with 12"+ tubes these days, so I imagine FSBs will become more of a specialty item, or a base (6920/6720) type of thing.

Shao
11-12-14, 13:36
I wouldn't worry assuming they're folding. If they get impacted, they'll just fold. I really like the KAC Micros and Magpul Pros.

Most high end guns come with 12"+ tubes these days, so I imagine FSBs will become more of a specialty item, or a base (6920/6720) type of thing.

Heresy! Iron sight shooters know... I prefer irons to anything and nothing beats a FSB. Although for my home defense AR pistol, I've switched my normal BUIS out with some old Troy low profile HK style sights that I had in the spare parts bin and sighted them in for home combat distances. I like the fact that they sit closer to the bore and they aim naturally for me.

Iraqgunz
11-12-14, 13:54
Or get the MBUS PROs save money in the process and call it a day.

this debate seems to come up once a week...

Get the KAC micros... and call it a day.

Casull
11-12-14, 16:30
I'm not sure the DD rail will get knocked out of alignment too easily, but the ol' pinned front post isn't bad at all. A lot of people keep a solid front of some sort, even with a full flat top rail and magnified optic.

Also, take a look at Centurion's offering. ;)
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Centurion-Diopter-C4-Iron-Sights-Set-p/centurion%20diopter%20c4%20iron%20set.htm

ColtSeavers
11-12-14, 17:08
Also, take a look at Centurion's offering. ;)
http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Centurion-Diopter-C4-Iron-Sights-Set-p/centurion%20diopter%20c4%20iron%20set.htm

Weren't those discontinued years ago?

Personally, I no longer 'need' a pinned A2 FSGB to feel comfortable with wear and tear on a use and abuse rifle. I have a beater franken AR that has an ARMS #41-bl clamp on flip up A2 FSGB that has never failed despite abuse from myself, family and friends. I do have BUIS on every AR however, and my next "Twins Basil!" build project will be fixed irons only, but the front sights will be on the rail, not pinned A2 FSGBs.

Casull
11-12-14, 17:18
Good call! It appears they have. I had no idea.