PDA

View Full Version : What's up from No. Va.

thebigx
06-24-08, 07:38
what's up peoples!? how's it going?

M4arc
06-24-08, 12:45
What's happening? Where abouts in NOVA are you from? I live in SEVA but travel to Reston frequently.

thebigx
06-24-08, 12:55
What's happening? Where abouts in NOVA are you from? I live in SEVA but travel to Reston frequently.

I'm very close to Reston. I live in Sterling right down the street from Algonkian. What's going on in Reston, that has you traveling there frequently?

Littlelebowski
06-24-08, 13:02
NoVA is the first place that made me miss the drivers of SoCal.

ToddG
06-24-08, 13:14
NoVA is the first place that made me miss the drivers of SoCal.

Wow. That's so true it hurt.

kittyhawk
06-24-08, 13:18
hi guys i'll be moving up that way between sept and nov if my agency gets some $$ for pcs moves. looking foward fo meeting some new folks and doing some shooting.

dave

thebigx
06-24-08, 13:24
Wow. That's so true it hurt.

"MURRLAND" ;) driver's aren't any better! LOL ;)

But yes, there are a lot of stupid drivers around here...

ToddG
06-24-08, 13:37
It was not my intent to make it a MD vs. VA thing. One day, scientists will prove that being in the general vicinity of the Beltway makes people stupid. People actually driving on the Beltway get stupid faster.

I drive to and from the range three times a week via the Beltway, so hopefully this will go some way toward explaining my mental condition and engendering some degree of sympathy from fellow M4C'ers. :cool:

thebigx
06-24-08, 13:42
It was not my intent to make it a MD vs. VA thing. One day, scientists will prove that being in the general vicinity of the Beltway makes people stupid. People actually driving on the Beltway get stupid faster.

I drive to and from the range three times a week via the Beltway, so hopefully this will go some way toward explaining my mental condition and engendering some degree of sympathy from fellow M4C'ers. :cool:

LOL, yeah I wasn't trying to make it a VS, thing either... although I will say that the Maryland side of Great Falls Park is much nicer than the VA side!

and yes, it's that dang beltway that makes people stupid... also route 7, that place is a cluster fudge that's just as bad as the beltway! i did see one guy in my neighborhood who's license plate read "ih8rt7" probably the best license plate i've read EVER!

ToddG
06-24-08, 13:57
While driving in NoVA just yesterday, I saw a guy who appeared (from his age and bumper stickers) to be a retired Marine. His license plate read "POKR BUM" ... I really hope he meant the card game.

thebigx
06-24-08, 14:09
did he have a rainbow sticker on his car? if he did, that would've answered your question. LOL but wait.. poke her.. not him! hahaha nevermind! is it time to go home yet? lol

CarlosDJackal
06-24-08, 16:04
It was not my intent to make it a MD vs. VA thing. One day, scientists will prove that being in the general vicinity of the Beltway makes people stupid. People actually driving on the Beltway get stupid faster...

I don't think it's a MD vs VA thing but more of a "Capital Beltway" thing. IMHO, the very large concentration of politicians, Generals and diplomats in DC tends to suck what little intelligence anyone has when in that vicinity. FWIW< I used to work in Falls Church then DC before I got tired of spending 1/4 of my life (6-hours a day) stuck in traffic.

I escaped from MD to VA almost 8 years ago and I'm not looking back!! Welcome to VA!! :D

Littlelebowski
06-24-08, 16:18
The MD vs VA thing is easily decided. Who has CCW and better gun laws? Next.

trio
06-24-08, 22:13
howdy...and welcome...i live on the southern edge of NoVA and we commute SOUTH...I avoid going north towards the beltway like the plague (i even go to UVA for the doctor and culpeper for PT from Prince William)....

lots of NoVA folks on here....

Littlelebowski
06-25-08, 07:39
We should have a NoVA M4C meetup....

Littlelebowski
06-25-08, 07:54
I commute from Fairfax to Tyson's Corner everyday. I think people out here just don't get the concept of "merging" very well.

ToddG
06-25-08, 09:23
I commute I don't under
from Fairfax to Tyson's Corner stand wh
everyday. I think at you're t
people out here just don't ryin
get the concept of "merging" very well.g to say.

dwhitehorne
06-25-08, 10:49
I commute from Fairfax to Tyson's Corner everyday. I think people out here just don't get the concept of "merging" very well.

The common attitude is, I am the center of the universe and the world revolves around me. What you want to merge in front of me? You do not exist to me!

I moved up here about 15 years ago after getting out of the military. I grew up in the central part of the state and I sometimes I can't believe I'm still in the Commonwealth. David

Littlelebowski
06-25-08, 10:56
The thing I notice the most is people afraid to merge. I've seen many people simply stop and wait instead of matching speed to traffic and getting the heck over.

sl4mdaddy
06-25-08, 12:09
Man, I don't miss the traffic in NOVA at all. I grew up in the Woodlawn area of Fairfax County back in the days of Mt. Vernon drive-in and Penguin Feather. Traffic has been a mess for years and the developers have a stranglehold on anything near the beltway.
I'm lovin' the peace and quiet here in S.E. Va.

;-)

lindertw
06-25-08, 12:12
seconded!

ToddG
06-25-08, 13:40
I'm all for a linkup.

The NRA Range is fairly convenient, inexpensive, and has a 50yd rifle-rated range. Green Tip is not allowed, though. They also have a classroom which, if enough people wanted to show up and we organized it a bit in advance, we could probably use as a meeting space.

Tipsovr
06-25-08, 19:51
I grew up on Fauquier county. Now NOVA has overrun it also. After college I moved back to NoVA. I lived in Annandale and my GF at the time lived in Vienna. No matter what time of day I tried to get to her house I could never make it in less than 35 minutes. It was 11 miles.

I made it 11 months before I could feel a serious road rage incident looming in my future. Thats when I packed up the family truckster and moved to the Richmond area. My blood pressure is much better. Good luck to those of you who have to travel the circle of stupidity; 495.;)

sapper36
06-25-08, 21:59
NOVA and SOCAL, very funny. On tuesday I am leaving SoCal and will be living in NoVa. This will be my last PCS and hopefully a longtime home. See you guys then.

Bulldog1967
06-25-08, 22:58
AA fellow member from "occupied" NoVa! wOOt!

Lets definitely have a NoVa NRA range shoot, say when!

ToddG
06-26-08, 07:48
I'll be at the range tomorrow!

And Monday.

And Wednesday.

And next Friday.

And ... :D

M4arc
06-26-08, 08:03
I'm very close to Reston. I live in Sterling right down the street from Algonkian. What's going on in Reston, that has you traveling there frequently?

My new employers office is in Reston.

Absolutely. When I find out when I'll be heading back to Reston next I'll post the dates in this thread and maybe we can all meet up for dinner some where?

thebigx
06-26-08, 09:53
count me in for a get together! that would be one banging id! LOL har har har!

thebigx
06-26-08, 09:54
My new employers office is in Reston. ...

i hope that employer pays for travel... with the cost of gas and all, sitting in that traffic... ugh.

M4arc
06-26-08, 09:55
i hope that employer pays for travel... with the cost of gas and all, sitting in that traffic... ugh.

They sure do! ;)

But I don't have to go there that often. I mostly work from home or travel to client sites.

thebigx
06-26-08, 10:14
They sure do! ;)

sweeeet!

lindertw
06-26-08, 16:32
I'm hoping to hit the NRA range tomorrow ~lunch time, I need to sight in my new laser grips.

ToddG
06-26-08, 17:42
I'll probably be there around 1pm or so. Picking up my new gotM4-built upper (which I have dubbed the gotM4fender) at noon out in Centerville.

Robb Jensen
06-26-08, 18:22
I'll probably be there around 1pm or so. Picking up my new gotM4-built upper (which I have dubbed the gotM4fender) at noon out in Centerville.

HAHAHA! It's ready too! :D

ToddG
06-26-08, 18:34
I knew I should have just hung around!

newbie9mil
06-26-08, 23:30
I am up for a range day/dinner. Let me know when.
Thanks

Joe Mamma
06-27-08, 10:23
I am up for a range day/dinner. Let me know when.
Thanks

I'm up for it too, depending on my schedule. But, weekends are pretty much the only thing that works for me . . . If we could get access to an outdoor private range/shooting area, I can bring some steel targets (which can take rifle hits) along with some of my cool toys.

Joe Mamma

M4arc
06-27-08, 10:41
It looks like I'll be in Reston Wednesday-Thursday and want to find out if anyone was interested in meeting at Chicos in Reston Town Center Wednesday evening?

ToddG
06-27-08, 18:49
Let me see if I can juggle a lesson from We to Th; if so I'm up for Chicos next week.

Robb Jensen
06-29-08, 08:17
You guys are meeting at Chicos the womens clothing store in Reston Town Center?

ToddG
06-29-08, 09:18
Well, I'm planning to bring the wife along so ... sure. :cool:

We're going to the range before or after depending on what time dinner is.

Robb Jensen
06-29-08, 10:05
Well, I'm planning to bring the wife along so ... sure. :cool:

We're going to the range before or after depending on what time dinner is.

So what's M4arcs excuse? ;)

Carlos
06-29-08, 10:09
For the LE inclined, would you say working a traffic stop on the capital beltway is exceedingly more dangerous than SWAT/HRT work?

M4arc
06-29-08, 10:27
You guys are meeting at Chicos the womens clothing store in Reston Town Center?

I thought it was a pizza place?

lindertw
06-29-08, 10:35
I didn't see a Chicos listed here (http://www.restontowncenter.com/dining.html) :confused:

Uno Chicago pizza, but no Chicos...

Robb Jensen
06-29-08, 10:39
I thought it was a pizza place?

Last time I was at Reston Town Center was in 2003 as a UPS employee and it was a womens clothing store. http://www.restontowncenter.com/shopping.html

Maybe you mean Uno's?

M4arc
06-29-08, 11:11
Last time I was at Reston Town Center was in 2003 as a UPS employee and it was a womens clothing store. http://www.restontowncenter.com/shopping.html

Maybe you mean Uno's?

Well piss! I thought it was a pizza joint like we have here at the beach and the outer banks. :mad:

M4arc
07-01-08, 07:16
Well after the disappointing realization that the Chicos in Reston Town Center was a women's clothing store and not the same as the Chicos Pizza joints we have here at the Beach I've decided to head home Wednesday after work instead of hanging out. :(

Well that and I realized that if I wait until Thursday to head home I'll be traveling at the peak of July 4th traffic. And driving from DC to the Beach is bad enough on normal days so I sure as hell don't want to do it on the day before a holiday!

thebigx
07-01-08, 07:59
Well after the disappointing realization that the Chicos in Reston Town Center was a women's clothing store and not the same as the Chicos Pizza joints we have here at the Beach I've decided to head home Wednesday after work instead of hanging out. :(

Well that and I realized that if I wait until Thursday to head home I'll be traveling at the peak of July 4th traffic. And driving from DC to the Beach is bad enough on normal days so I sure as hell don't want to do it on the day before a holiday!

I hear ya man! My cousin's wife use to be the regional manager for Chicos and Reston was one of hers.