PDA

View Full Version : How long do you wait before taking your deer for processing?

Snake_Plissken
11-12-14, 12:12
I know this varies depending on outside temperature, but I was speaking to a sales rep at my job about hunting and he mentioned to me that when it's cold enough 30-40F he doesn't process his deer until the 7-8th day. He says it ages the meat and makes even the toughest old buck meat tender and delicious.

Is there any truth this? I know that beef is aged, but does that transfer over into wild game? Given the cold temps most of the US is expecting for opening day I'd be willing to try this if this is true. I've personally only waited 3 days.

Thanks,

-Snake

skijunkie55
11-12-14, 15:03
During bow season where the temp can fluctuate 20+ degrees in a week, we usually do 3 days max.
With freezing temps being the norm for gun season, 6-8 days seems reasonable. Obviously you want to be sure dogs and coyotes don't get to it in the mean time :)

dudenick4
11-12-14, 20:41
I agree with skijunkie on the 3 day absolute max (with ice) for bow season, but sub 30 degree weather there is no rush.

Supergyro
11-12-14, 22:04
It won't be above 20° here for the next 10 days. The meat will be alright.

MBtech
11-13-14, 11:21
Keep in mind that if it's too cold your meat won't drain blood it will just freeze. Which isn't an all bad thing since you don't have to worry about it spoiling, but it will take the whole point out of aging the meat. Ideal from my experience is 35-38 degrees for 3-4 days, deer does not take near as long as beef.

markm
11-13-14, 12:40
Is there any truth this? I know that beef is aged, but does that transfer over into wild game?

I don't buy it. I mean... dry aging to the point that the meat is appreciatively better takes so long that there's a crust that develops on the outside of the meat. You ever see those dry aged beef primals?... all black and funky looking.

You could wet age the meat if you had a processor who put the cuts into cryovac bags. But I've only ever seen the meat wrapped in paper and usually frozen.

MBtech
11-13-14, 17:51
I process all of my own meat, the cooling process and that crust creates a firm piece of meat to carve on and make nice straight cuts and then trim the outside accordingly, trying to cut a warm piece of meat is like sawing through a rubber band with a credit card, I don't care how sharp your knife is.

bullitt
11-13-14, 18:09
Once it's cooled sufficiently I take it down and cut it up. I don't think there is any need to "age" deer meat.

superr.stu
11-13-14, 19:48
If it's a deer that I'm just going to use for burger, or salami I usually cut it up within 24hrs. Get it done and move on. If it's something I'm going to get real cuts out of I still get it into my guy within a day or two, he usually hangs it for 1-1.5 weeks before cutting.

Mdbwhntr
11-15-14, 06:39
Mine goes to the processor as soon as Incan get it there, but if the temps are 40 or below it can sit for days as long as the Suns not beating down on it.

Shao
11-15-14, 07:11
The fresher the better. I usually tear in once I've decided that the animal is no longer a threat. Cooking removes the essence of flavor. Venison sashimi, venison tartar...

But really though, my official answer is: Before flies start laying their eggs in the carcass.

gk6091
11-16-14, 10:13
Mine goes to the processor as soon as Incan get it there, but if the temps are 40 or below it can sit for days as long as the Suns not beating down on it.

I agree

steyrman13
11-16-14, 10:45
It's usually no cold enough here to hang without the midday being to hot. I usually cute the meet into cuts ready for cooking or chunks ready to put in the grinder. I then put the cuts/chunks into zip logs full of water and put in ice water or refrigerator and change the water out each day for a few days until the water starts to run pretty clear. The blood is what makes venison taste wild that some people don't like.

MBtech
11-16-14, 11:20
The fresher the better. I usually tear in once I've decided that the animal is no longer a threat. Cooking removes the essence of flavor. Venison sashimi, venison tartar...

But really though, my official answer is: Before flies start laying their eggs in the carcass.

Might as well eat the flies and eggs too if you are going to eat it raw, I'll stick to good old Kingsford and a grill.

bjxds
11-16-14, 14:59
That question is like whats better 45 or 9… But seriously. I have done it both ways, hang for 3-7 days and skin and cut it then. To properly dry age, it will take a long time.

I also have some hunting buddies that like to age it for several days, quarter it and pack it with ice for a weak, draining everyday and adding ice as needed, then cutting. It seems everyone has their own ritual.

I would prefer to hang it for about a week, before processing, but I just don't have the proper area, time, energy, or desire….

SOOOO
What I do now is take it to the butcher, tell him the cuts I want, and 1-2 days later, I pick it up cut to order and double wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam. Pull out the best looking piece of tenderloin and start cooking it while I put the rest in the freezer. AND it tastes damm good that way to me.

Grilled tenderloin last night and stew tonight from some left over from last season, so it will freeze well for a more than a year, if priorly wrapped.

Good Luck and ENJOY

Pilgrim
11-16-14, 15:26
Now-a-days the deer goes straight from the field right to a processor, I don't even gut the thing anymore as they can do it in 30 seconds, and then they have to dispose of the guts. Takes me about 30 to 40 minutes to get a deer from dead in the field to town.

When I used to cut up the meat myself, we would cut it up into the major parts and keep it in coolers on ice for 3 to 4 days. Helps to keep the coolers in the back of the truck as the motion seems to help drain the meat. I parked my truck at work with the cooler drains open and the bed angled downward, so the bloody water can drain out as it melts, no it did not stain my white trucks bed and tailgate.

I did forget to put the tailgate up one time, quickly pulled away from an intersection, and dumped 4 coolers full of body parts into the street in front of our county courthouse... oppps... held up traffic a bit till I could get all the parts back into the coolers and back into the bed. A lady yelled out if I was trying to somehow tenderize the meat! Gotta love the rural south.

BIGUGLY
11-16-14, 21:37
Gun season is in December so its well below freezing here, after gutted in the field we hang in a shed which is only heated when we need it to be. there the carcass is hung and skinned. After the second weekend we debone all the carcass' and keep some of the cuts and the rest goes for processing. Total time is anywhere from 8 to 12 days.

Eurodriver
12-14-14, 19:17
Never really gets below 70* here. Have to field dress it and get it on ice before you're even out of the field.
You guys are lucky!

Watrdawg
12-15-14, 07:00
Part of the reason for letting a deer meat age on the bone before processing it is because as the meat cools the muscle fibers contract and tear. This is what helps to tenderize the meat. If you debone the meat right away the muscle fibers still contract but since it isn't connected to bone they don't tear and you have a tougher piece of meat. A friend of mine does all of my processing and he lets will let the deer hang in his cooler for 5-7 days before butchering.

skijunkie55
12-15-14, 07:28
I went and talked to our butcher when we dropped off my dad's deer. His official answer was "as soon as possible"

His reasons
1. The meat can dry out. Especially the tenderloins / backstrap
2. Some people do not thoroughly "clean" the deer - leaving parts of the butt / pee sack in the carcass, not rinsing out the inside cavity before hanging, etc. Any digestive juices that remain on the deer will get inside the meat. Not exactly "good" for the meat I guess...

That being said - we had let this deer hang for about a week in 30 degree weather.

brown3345
12-15-14, 07:44
I prefer to butcher only after rigor mortis has left the carcass. If it's hot out I will chill as needed. If it's chilly, I will wait til I have time to butcher. If I have to let it hang for a period of time I will cover the animal with some type of game bag/sock to keep the bugs and birds out.

davidz71
12-15-14, 15:27
During bow season for deer, I try to get the carcass to the processor as soon as possible. The deer I shot during muzzleloader season was shot at 8:30 a.m. on Sat. and hung in a tree overnight because temps were in the 40's during the day and 30's at night. I dropped him off at noon on Sunday. I shot another at 6:35 a.m. during high power season and hung the deer overnight because the weather was the same. Our weather in TN. can change rapidly and I have taken a deer to the processor the same day it was killed when the temps crept into the 70's or 80's. I understand the aging process but always thought it was under controlled temperatures such as a meat locker. I use to see meat hanging in markets when I made trips as a child to Mexico. Flies would be on the meat and I never thought it was a good thing.