PDA

View Full Version : Surefire Flash Hider timing

BigLarge
11-13-14, 00:08
Installed my SF3P-556 on my MK18 tonight. I could not get the flash hider to time exactly straight up and down. I'm slightly OCD about things like this. I'm assuming this won't cause an issue. I tried the purple shim and it would only time with about 15 foot pounds. The next size up is the no-color shim and its with 30 foot pounds. This is whats on there now. I could probably get it to time with 35 foot pounds, but I dont believe that is recommended.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/untildeathdouspart/B95AAA46-D9C2-4F7F-B750-DCBA530EED5B-1277-000001D67FFC633A_zps462f7fb4.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7563/15592212349_38ef7c0886.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/pKQavp)

https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8117/15592212459_07a737de7e.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/pKQaxi)

VIP3R 237
11-13-14, 00:28
Have you torqued it, then loosened it, and then re torqued it a couple times to see if that give you a little more rotation?

BigLarge
11-13-14, 00:32
It seemed to line up better before I added the rockset. I tried loosening it and re-torquing it once but it didnt seem to help. Perhaps I shall try it a few more times.

Kudu22
11-13-14, 11:04
Sometimes it just takes a bit of time to find the right combo. Go to 35 ft/lbs and back it off several time then see if it goes at 30 ft/lbs. The reason we don't want you going way above 30 ft/lbs is because it can constrict the bore at the crown.

markm
11-13-14, 12:45
Have you tried using a combinations of two shims to get a value between the two high/lows you have?

Also.. how much rockset? A few drops of rockset shouldn't change the timing.

bwhited
11-13-14, 13:11
Have you tried using a combinations of two shims to get a value between the two high/lows you have?

This. AND throw that timing wheel SF gave you in the garbage. I have installed a ton of these things, and the damn thing NEVER works with the wheel. The only info SF gives you that you might want is the thickness of the shims. Keep playing with different combos and you will find one that will work to make it perfect. I am OCD like you and require all of mine to line up perfect.

markm
11-13-14, 13:32
This. AND throw that timing wheel SF gave you in the garbage.

No shit about that! I had a guy come over for a bunch of work on a 6933... and God bless him.. he wanted to help with the mount install part of the job.... and insisted on using that God damned tard wheel. Painful.

Robb Jensen
11-13-14, 13:34
I sometimes use a super thin piece of peel washer to keep the torque on low end of the scale.

markm
11-13-14, 13:42
I sometimes use a super thin piece of peel washer to keep the torque on low end of the scale.

He's ALIVE!!! ;)

Yeah... those are handy. I keep a twisty tie with all kinds of peel washer slices and stuff looped on it.

BigLarge
11-13-14, 14:17
Sometimes it just takes a bit of time to find the right combo. Go to 35 ft/lbs and back it off several time then see if it goes at 30 ft/lbs. The reason we don't want you going way above 30 ft/lbs is because it can constrict the bore at the crown.

Thank you. I will try this.

No, I would have to use a combination that allowed for one more complete rotation... and I wasnt sure how to accomplish that.

I dunno, just used enough to get all the threads wet :D So probably to much. Maybe I should start over... is this going to be a PITA to get loose? How do you clean off rockset?

Good idea, maybe i'll pick one up to try another combo

JG007
11-13-14, 15:26
Time a flash hider??

bwhited
11-14-14, 11:11
The hider will not be hard to remove. Use acetone to remove the rocksett that is on there.

markm
11-14-14, 11:21
I dunno, just used enough to get all the threads wet :D So probably too much. Maybe I should start over...

Two small drops. One on the barrel threads, and one in the mount. A little goes a long way with rockset.

Robb Jensen
11-14-14, 22:28
He's ALIVE!!! ;)

Yes brother I'm around but far less active in everything. I have the Lyme and Bartonella in remission now but developed Dysautonomia now with hyperadernic POTS with it. My Doctors are saying that I have a 70% chance that this should heal itself within 2-5yrs. I can't fly (due to POTS) so I can't go to SHOT. My heart does all kinds of weird stuff so I can't shoot USPSA nor 3gun. I reply on stuff here when I have the time.

user
11-14-14, 22:45
Yes brother I'm around but far less active in everything. I have the Lyme and Bartonella in remission now but developed Dysautonomia now with hyperadernic POTS with it. My Doctors are saying that I have a 70% chance that this should heal itself within 2-5yrs. I can't fly (due to POTS) so I can't go to SHOT. My heart does all kinds of weird stuff so I can't shoot USPSA nor 3gun. I reply on stuff here when I have the time.

God bless you Robb.

SeriousStudent
11-14-14, 23:28
Agreed. Robb, you have been in our thoughts and prayers.

I appreciate all you have done for me and everyone here over the years.

Vinh
11-15-14, 10:38
Damn, Robb, sorry to hear about your plight.

HD1911
11-17-14, 14:58

Prayers Sent. Thank you for all your Contributions over the years... I learned a ton from them and still reference them from time to time.

n4p226r
11-21-14, 07:18
i have found the timing wheel to work perfectly when i torqued to 30, then looked to see what shims to use, then put it back on and torqued again.

markm
11-21-14, 07:45

Wow. I remember the Lyme and Bartonella, but the hits just keep coming huh? I hope things improve quick for you.

Funtogun
11-23-14, 15:43
Ive had good luck getting 5 of them to time using the wheel. What happens to all of the extra shims out there? I need a few extra's. If anybody has any the don't need, please hit me up. Funtogun2009@Gmail.Com

Thanks,

Funtogun