PDA

View Full Version : Re: Middy upper, Noveske or wait for BCM?

flyer
06-24-08, 11:00
I have wanted to jump on the middy bandwagon for awhile. I like the less violent middy gas setup better than the harsher carbine gas setup. My problem up to now has been in finding a top tier middy upper that had all of the right features. Now I see that Noveske has the N4 middy out and BCM is rumored to be offering their middies soon, both of which are certainly top tier. I have even noticed that Grant has a Noveske N4 barreled upper that he is selling at a very attractive price. So my dilemma now is which one to get? Should I shell out for a full Noveske, get one of Grant's or wait for BCM? Choices, choices, choices, what to do. Please help me decide and sell me on the best option. Thanks in advance for all responses.

Flyer

markm
06-24-08, 11:05
Sabre Defence has the middy I want. 14.5 with the permed FH.

tiger seven
06-24-08, 11:18
The "full Noveske" is a great choice if you want all the stuff it comes with. If you don't, then you can save some money by getting a custom build.

The Noveske uppers that Grant has on his website are a fantastic bargain, and a great choice if you want to keep things simple or customize it at a later date.

I had Grant custom build me an upper with the N4 Light Recce barrel so I could get a Noveske middy upper just the way I wanted it. There's ceratinly nothing wrong with the way Noveske sets them up, but I wanted a different rail and sights. I am very happy with my choice. :)

Considering BCM's excellent track record I'm sure their uppers will be worth the wait, but obviously we won't know the full details until they're actually available.

The only upside to all of these choices is that there really isn't a bad choice in the bunch. Whichever you choose, it's going to be a winner.

Derek

johnson
06-24-08, 11:28
Consider that the Noveske upper comes with more stuff so after you add everything together, there's about a $100 difference between that and BCM's upper.

$450 BCM Mid Length Upper Receiver Group
$130 BCM BCG
$140 Flip up rear sight
$45 Smith Vortex FH
$21 Charging Handle
$20 Handguard
$12 30rd Magazine

I have a lower put together for a mid length rifle and I'm gonna have Grant build me an upper when I get additional funds. For the carbine build, I might buy it straight from Noveske or have a LMT lower (SOPMOD, 2 stage trigger) + Noveske upper.