PDA

View Full Version : Magpul gen 2 polymer sights

a1madrid
11-13-14, 22:02
Anyone heard of the magpul gen 2 polymer sights not holding their zero?

wildcard600
11-14-14, 09:18
Cant say that i have.

could you elaborate ?

a1madrid
11-14-14, 09:24
I have known people who shoot with the original magpul back up sights which are also polymer. They didn't hold their zero for long at all. I was just wondering if the gen 2 sights were any better even though they are still polymer.

ginzomatic
11-14-14, 09:56
Some blue loc-tite will fix whatever problems you have right up. They're reliable sights when installed correctly.

plouffedaddy
11-14-14, 10:09
I have known people who shoot with the original magpul back up sights which are also polymer. They didn't hold their zero for long at all. I was just wondering if the gen 2 sights were any better even though they are still polymer.

I wonder if they're knock-offs. Never heard of this happening with actual Magpul sights....

a1madrid
11-14-14, 10:11
So I should probably buy them straight from Magpul huh? I have heard of plenty of magpul knock offs, but one of the guys I know we're the magpul back up sights that came pre installed on his m&p 15-22 moe

Wake27
11-14-14, 10:21
So I should probably buy them straight from Magpul huh? I have heard of plenty of magpul knock offs, but one of the guys I know we're the magpul back up sights that came pre installed on his m&p 15-22 moe

They wouldn't hold zero on a .22? That doesn't even sound right. And no, you don't have to buy them from Magpul, just don't use some random website or eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shao
11-14-14, 10:33
The only problem I've had with the MBUS 2 sights is the rear aperture. They need to change it to steel or aluminum. Molded polymer does not make for the best sight picture.

a1madrid
11-14-14, 10:44
Magpul does make some steel folding sights but I forget what they are called. Overall though how do you like the gen 2 polymers

Dozer
11-14-14, 11:08
Magpul MBUS sights have several counterfeit variants as well as several airsoft versions in the market. The only time we have heard reports of MBUS sights not holding zero and get the sights back they end up being counterfeits. If you want to confirm you have an authentic Magpul product please contact techsupport@magpul.com for more info.

~kev~
11-14-14, 11:57
Anyone heard of the magpul gen 2 polymer sights not holding their zero?

Do the bolts on the sight have the magpul logo on the bolt head?

This may or may not be true, I looked at my sights and the heads do not have the logo on the bolt head.

I read somewhere that magpul has their logo stamped on their bolt heads.

BufordTJustice
11-14-14, 12:13
I wonder if they're knock-offs. Never heard of this happening with actual Magpul sights....
I had a buddy who bought a counterfeit mbus gen 2 set on eBay by accident. His loosened under recoil because the screws didn't have the nylock thread locker applied to the threads. They even had a fake logo on the top, but the release wings on the sides lacked the stepped texture of my authentic gen 2 set. Mine have been abused like a mother and are still quite solid.

a1madrid
11-14-14, 12:17
Where did you buy yours from?

Shao
11-14-14, 12:19
If they look like any of these, they're counterfeit:

http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?catId=0&initiative_id=SB_20141114101616&SearchText=mbus+

Notice the blurred out logos...

BufordTJustice
11-14-14, 12:22
I think Rainier Arms.

Wake27
11-14-14, 12:45

Brownells, Rainier, Midway, ROG tactical, and G&R tactical are all good places.

Dozer
11-14-14, 13:59
We also do not sell the MBUS 2 as a set in a box.

Shao
11-14-14, 14:44
Brownells, Rainier, Midway, ROG tactical, and G&R tactical are all good places.

I just wanted to add that I bought one set from Lincoln Tactical and a rear from both SKD and Primary Arms that were all good to go as well.

TehLlama
11-14-14, 16:27
Magpul MBUS sights have several counterfeit variants as well as several airsoft versions in the market. The only time we have heard reports of MBUS sights not holding zero and get the sights back they end up being counterfeits. If you want to confirm you have an authentic Magpul product please contact techsupport@magpul.com for more info.

For giggles, I ran a set of PTS ones on a .22lr setup - they're golden on there (actually had a Bushnell holosight poop the bed, but the PTS-MBUS still held). Even the actually MagPul branded airsoft ones are good - the outright counterfeits in the other hand just plain suck. Buy them from a legit retailers, and they'll be solid - you'll be surprised how few complaints about magpul products actually pertain to real Magpul products; and with real stuff the lengths the MagPul CS department will go through to resolve stuff is staggering.

wildcard600
11-14-14, 17:04
i got my sights via ebay. just buy from a trusted seller like ecop!

i have a couple of sets of PTS on air rifles and while not nearly the quality of the genuine articles i bet they would still work on a 5.56 ar with no problems.

Ark1443
11-14-14, 19:34
I have been using the flip up polymer rear sights on my 6720 without any problems for nearly two years now.

Stumanbmx
11-15-14, 00:03
The only problem I've had with the MBUS 2 sights is the rear aperture. They need to change it to steel or aluminum. Molded polymer does not make for the best sight picture.

Yep. Same issue here. Sight picture just doesn't look as good as my Troys. Considering pulling them off my rifle and looking for something else. Wish they would just throw a metal aperture on there.

turnburglar
11-15-14, 02:47
The only issue with my Mbus g2, was they required alot of left windage too zero. Why is that a problem? Cause sight picture through a lower 1/3 optic looks slanted.

The rear mbus needed it on both an f marked front sight and a front Mbus mounted on a kmr.

wildcard600
11-15-14, 09:21
The only issue with my Mbus g2, was they required alot of left windage too zero. Why is that a problem? Cause sight picture through a lower 1/3 optic looks slanted.

The rear mbus needed it on both an f marked front sight and a front Mbus mounted on a kmr.

interesting. both of mine only needed a few clicks off center to zero.

Shao
11-15-14, 09:31

I had the exact same problem on a Centurion rail - it turned out that the rail wasn't machined properly.

BufordTJustice
11-15-14, 17:26
I had the exact same problem on a Centurion rail - it turned out that the rail wasn't machined properly.
My brother experienced this on his carbine with a DD Lite Rail II. But he had torqued the attachment screws onto the pic rail like a damn gorilla and it warped the body of the sights. There is such as thing as too tight in the age of thread lockers.

epoch2k
11-24-14, 15:33
Glad to know that the problem is not with the product itself

stebolicious
12-18-14, 01:15
Anyone had any issues with the actual fitment of the sights on the rail? I just got a pair of Gen 2 to put on my Aero Precision upper and they wont fit.

Hot Holster
12-18-14, 01:44
Take the screw out and start the sight from the end of the rail tapping it on with a rubber mallet or something similar. The first installation is usually pretty tight fitting.

stebolicious
12-18-14, 06:26
Okay, that's exactly what I needed to know. I didn't want to force them on if they weren't supposed to be that tight. Thank you!

Sent from a van down by the river.

U&A
12-18-14, 07:50
Okay, that's exactly what I needed to know. I didn't want to force them on if they weren't supposed to be that tight. Thank you!

Sent from a van down by the river.

Don't be afraid to dab a little bit of soapy water on the rail or sight channels to help it slide on.

Shao
12-18-14, 08:04
My brother experienced this on his carbine with a DD Lite Rail II. But he had torqued the attachment screws onto the pic rail like a damn gorilla and it warped the body of the sights. There is such as thing as too tight in the age of thread lockers.

Vibratite VC3... no need for anything else in my opinion.

Take the screw out and start the sight from the end of the rail tapping it on with a rubber mallet or something similar. The first installation is usually pretty tight fitting.

I don't think I've ever had a slide-on polymer pic rail accessory that didn't require some amount of finagling. I had a VFG that I installed on a friend's rail once that was so tight, that I was afraid I would break the VFG or rail trying to get it on. I just busted out the 4 oz. nylon hammer, some Kroil, and tapped like crazy until it was aligned. Don't forget to recycle your polymer shavings. :D

saints75
12-18-14, 08:19
I have one on my patrol rifle (it came with it). It holds it zero. At first I wasn't sure if they were any good. There plastic sights. Over the last four years I have really started to come around and don't mind them. They hold there zero. I have to qualify with my patrol AR using BUS at 25 yards every couple of months. There are cop proof. We have them on all of our patrol rifle and no one has broken them. Cops are not that nice to there equipment, FYI. I have not seen the MBUS pop up on its own or brake. They work well. If you do not want to spend a lot of money on BUS, MBUS are a good way to go.

Shao
12-18-14, 08:37
I build a lot of rifles for friends and almost all of them pick the MBUS Gen 2s for both the price and quick-deploy feature. Two of mine are currently wearing a rear and the only bad thing I have to say about them is that I hate the aperture. I find it difficult to be accurate at all past 40-50 yards with them, while my LMT fixed, Troys, Samsons, and KACs all shoot about the same at 100 yards for me. Maybe it's my eyesight...? In my opinion, Magpul needs to make a MBUS2 Rev. A with an aluminum or steel aperture. I really like the MBUS pros, but they can be hard to deploy quickly.

LewP
12-18-14, 13:52

This ^^^. Don't forget to add a dab of blue loctite to the screw...just in case.

forgottensanity
12-31-14, 13:57
How about putting the Magpul sights on a gas block? The packaging says not to do it. Know of anyone that actually melted them off a gas block?

a1madrid
01-26-15, 11:45
A few people on here complaining about these sights not being accurate past 50 yards.... I can hit a 8 inch steel plate at 200 yards every time with mine.....

556BlackRifle
01-26-15, 12:46
I bought a pair about a year ago and they have held their zero but, I don't usually go any farther than 100 yards.

a1madrid
01-26-15, 12:47
How long do the springs on these sights last?

Shao
01-26-15, 12:56
How long do the springs on these sights last?

A long time... and when they break, I'm sure you can send them into Magpul for repair/replacement. If you don't want your BUIS failing you, buy fixed ones. Less moving parts = less things to break.

eodinert
01-26-15, 14:21
How about putting the Magpul sights on a gas block? The packaging says not to do it. Know of anyone that actually melted them off a gas block?

I would loose the railed gas block and float a handguard over it long before I did that.