PDA

View Full Version : Good .38 Spl standard pressure defense load?

Uni-Vibe
11-14-14, 18:25
This is for a woman who wants low recoil in her .38. All the defense rounds I've seen are +P.

Anybody able to recommend anything?

Bruce in WV
11-14-14, 19:47
Gold Dot 135gr Short Barrel. Designed to expand reliably at standard velocities from normal pressure loads.

ETA: Checked the Speer product sheet. It's listed as +p (http://www.speer-ammo.com/ballistics/detail.aspx?loadNo=23921), but may still be acceptable. My wife is very recoil sensitive, but loves her 2" and 3" j frames shooting nothing but this load.

oldtexan
11-14-14, 20:10
My subjective impression is that Speer's +P 135 Gold Dot Short Barrel load has heavier recoil than CorBon's 110 +P DPX load. Both typically meet FBI standards for penetration and expansion, even from 2" barrels, though at least one lot of the Gold Dot load from several years back failed to do so. If these have too much recoil for her, you might consider Hornady's standard pressure Critical Defense load. I've not shot it, but my guess is that it would have less recoil than most +P loads. I'm not sure how well it does compared to the Speer and CorBon loads, but I believe it's recommended by Doctor Gary K. Roberts.

Kain
11-14-14, 20:11
OP has the shooter shot a +P load out of the .38? Most +P loadings are not really that hot in my experience since a lot of companies are afraid of someone blowing a gun up. Something to at least consider.

ST911
11-14-14, 21:05
This is for a woman who wants low recoil in her .38. All the defense rounds I've seen are +P.

Anybody able to recommend anything?

Of the low recoil, standard pressure rounds available right now I'm liking...

148 Wadcutters
110 Hornady Critical Defense (90310)
130 Winchester Defender (W38SPLD)

The Speer 135 SB load can be brisk for many shooters, as are a number of the favored .38 loads.

SLM
11-14-14, 21:22
Federal has brought back the std pressure .38Spl 125gr Nyclad hollow point. It might fit the bill.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/handgun.aspx?id=828

CAVDOC
11-17-14, 12:06
The key to tolerable recoil in the snubby lies in not using an alloy gun. I can shoot a steel j frame all day long without problems but an airweight has me saying "enough" after fifty. When choosing a revolver the best thing anyone can do for a lady ( or anyone really) is advise them to get an all steel one. While I do not feel an extra 4-5 ounces matters when carrying it makes a big difference on the range. I would say the 148 wadcutters have the least recoil. I carry Speer gold dot 125 non plus p. don't know if they even make this load anymore. I think hornady makes a no. Plus p critical defense load

11-18-14, 07:37
I have a short barrel 6 shot revolver I like to carry. It has fixed sights and the wad cutters shot to POA. I like the Buffalo Bore 150 gr. wad cutters. Although I have never tested them on anything other than cardboard I am sure they will cut a nice .36 caliber hole every time.

Fede_Fede
11-18-14, 14:02
Try for fiocchi black mamba

T2C
11-18-14, 16:17
Federal has brought back the std pressure .38Spl 125gr Nyclad hollow point. It might fit the bill.

http://www.federalpremium.com/products/details/handgun.aspx?id=828

I've dispatched a few wounded animals, coyotes, deer, raccoons, using this load in my J Frame. It had great expansion and caused a lot of tissue damage. I'm happy to see they started making it again.

The wife and I both carry Speer Gold Dot +P 135g HP. It is a little warmer than the Nyclad round.

Doc Safari
11-18-14, 16:35
I love me some Nyclad, too.

July4th
11-18-14, 17:58
Check out Hornady's Critical Defense Lite. It is an FTX bullet (can't remember the weight) with a pink plug instead of red. Has a pink ribbon on the box to support breast cancer research.

I've never shot any, but Hornady has marketed it as the answer to your dilemma. If you get any, let us know how it shoots.

ST911
11-18-14, 20:17
Check out Hornady's Critical Defense Lite. It is an FTX bullet (can't remember the weight) with a pink plug instead of red. Has a pink ribbon on the box to support breast cancer research.

I've never shot any, but Hornady has marketed it as the answer to your dilemma. If you get any, let us know how it shoots.

The terminal ballistic performance for that load is poor at best. In the Critical Defense line, the standard pressure 110gr is the acceptable starting point.

July4th
11-18-14, 20:29
The terminal ballistic performance for that load is poor at best. In the Critical Defense line, the standard pressure 110gr is the acceptable starting point.
Good to know. I haven't done lots of research on the Lite line because I'm not recoil sensitive.

Uni-Vibe
11-18-14, 21:36
OP has the shooter shot a +P load out of the .38? Most +P loadings are not really that hot in my experience since a lot of companies are afraid of someone blowing a gun up. Something to at least consider.

This person has never had a handgun. She weighs about 110 pounds soaking wet. She's interested in CHL and needs a starting point, so I'm recommending a .38 revolver. I'm inclined to just recommend some 148 grain wadcutters, on the idea that a hit with one of those is better than a miss with anything else. Or maybe 158 grain LSWC.

jandbj
11-19-14, 21:57
148 wadcutters or standard pressure nyclads.

If she's decided on a snubby... Let her shoot a steel framed gun or an LCR 357 (for the extra weight & much better trigger) along with the hogue tamer grips. Some extra weight and good grips make a ton of difference!

Also, please don't pigeon hole her into a snubby. Many small framed shooters take to bigger guns better than small revolvers with heavy triggers and shitty sights. My 4'11" wife favors a G19 or G42 over most revolvers other than my S&W M19 (with 38's or 357's) with exceptional trigger job by Andy Cannon.

Take her somewhere she can handle and shoot as many different guns as possible. A good intro to firearms class for new shooters may offer all that and more.

davidjinks
11-19-14, 22:18
Deleted

Ron3
12-01-14, 22:18
Deleted post

replacement
12-02-14, 15:33
I like the sp101 made by Ruger. loaded with the critical defense my wife 5' 1'' 106lbs is able to hit well.

anachronism
12-06-14, 21:17
Make sure to check POI before relying on anything. My 649 shoots practically everything lighter than 158 gr high at most ranges.

bmyk
12-10-14, 12:23
The weight of the bullet in this load is 90grn. My wife caries them in her S&W 442 (no lock :-) ). Very controllable and if the testing is to be believed, very effective.

strambo
12-10-14, 19:14
My wife likes revolvers but knows nothing about guns. I went searching for a revolver that could handle .38 SPL +P and I knew would have gentle recoil w/o being too big and heavy. So, I was looking for empty weights north of 20 oz and hopefully south of 32. I got her a S&W 386 Night guard which is a 7 shot scandium frame .357. On the surface that sounds bad...but its unloaded weight is mid-20 ozs, has a full grip and excellent combat sights.

She has now attended a 2 day defensive handgun course with it at FAS with no issues. Recoil with the 135g +P Gold Dot load is no big deal. I would suggest you steer her strongly away from any airweight .38 and into something like the model 60, doesn't matter .38 or .357, just needs to be over 20 oz.

I absolutely hated shooting standard pressure .38 loads through an airweight J frame and I like .44 magnum recoil in a full size revolver.

BombTec
04-09-15, 11:58
How about the tried and true FBI load?

Federal 158gr lead semi wadcutter hollow point, standard pressure.

williejc
04-09-15, 17:11
Having instructed a few novices in shooting, I've observed that the 2 inch 38 is not the best choice with which to begin instruction. One reason is blast and jump; another is the short sight radius. Often frustration hinders mastery. I fear that at this stage ammo choice may not be the limiting issue. I'm assuming that the lady is not a shooter.

My experience has been that lighter weight bullets in .38 spl produce much less recoil even in +p ammo.

Sgt_Gold
04-09-15, 19:58

Not only us this a good load, but you can find it just about anywhere.

Ron3
04-09-15, 20:26
For novices I've found a lightly loaded 125 gr SWC good for training / practice. I like wadcutter's too but they are clumsier to load into the chambers.

T2C
04-09-15, 21:59

I carried the FBI load in a J Frame for years. I stopped carrying it when I witnessed the performance in ballistic gelatin when shot through a 1-7/8" barrel.