PDA

View Full Version : Glock 42 barrel mark to gun

09fatbob
11-14-14, 19:23
Anyone confirm or have info on the barrel marking fired rounds, identifying the gun it was fired from?

ST911
11-14-14, 19:43
Anyone confirm or have info on the barrel marking fired rounds, identifying the gun it was fired from?

Clarify your question?

Crow Hunter
11-14-14, 19:43

All barrels mark the rounds fired from them.:confused:

They also leave unique marks on fired cases as well that can help identify the gun it is fired from.

Every gun is unique because not everything is made exactly the same every single time.

That is how forensics link guns to crimes and have for decades.

Now if you are talking about something else, you will have to give more details of exactly what you are talking about.

09fatbob
11-14-14, 19:57
Supposed to somehow mark the fired round to identify it to that gun ...other than normal forensics. What I was advised by an armorer, only the 42 does this alledgely

Crow Hunter
11-14-14, 20:07
Supposed to somehow mark the fired round to identify it to that gun ...other than normal forensics. What I was advised by an armorer, only the 42 does this alledgely

I sincerely doubt that.

I just went and looked at my wife's G42. There are no marks on the crown at all and the rifling looked just like normal rifling. (ETA: For Glock polygonal rifling anyway:))

Glock has made some guns before with specific "imperfections" on the rifling that would score bullets for identification for specific police departments. But from my understanding, every gun had the same mark. Nothing individual to each gun.

You are also talking about a serious manufacturing nightmare (and silly to boot) to try to set up a machine that would create individual IDs for every single barrel produced and then track it through the entire process and then put it in a database when the bullets are already identifiable.

Don't forget, even numbnuts like me can be certified Glock armorers. All you need to do is pay the money and show up to the class.:rolleyes:

ETA: Besides. Who cares? The gun is already "traceable" via a fired casing/bullet and if you really wanted it not to be "traceable" for some nefarious reason, you could just switch barrels with someone else, buy a new barrel, take a file to it, shoot a full load after a squib round, or lots of other ways to change the characteristics of the barrel.

09fatbob
11-14-14, 20:09
Agreed look at California and the crap they pull lol

cathellsk
11-14-14, 21:02
I believe it was Miami PD, can't confirm, that did have Glock put somekind of mark in the barrels of their G22s so they could identify them from others used in gunfire instances like you're describing. I have never heard of this with any other Glocks though. I'm not sure they even still do it either.

joe138
11-14-14, 21:19
I thought that Miami PD wanted regular rifled barrels so they could more easily match bullets and barrels. At least that is what I was told at several Glock armorers classes over the years.

SpeedRacer
11-14-14, 21:40
Sounds like typical Gunshop Mythology to me.

ST911
11-14-14, 23:07
EBIS / "Miami Barrel"
http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_arch&article_id=1893&issue_id=92009

cathellsk
11-15-14, 00:22
EBIS / "Miami Barrel"
http://www.policechiefmagazine.org/magazine/index.cfm?fuseaction=display_arch&article_id=1893&issue_id=92009

Thank you, knew I had read that somewhere, but believe it was a print magazine and not online so couldn't confirm.

Big A
11-15-14, 08:32

Are you talking about micro stamping the spent casing with the serial#?

No gun does that that I am aware of. I know Califorina was trying to get legislation passed a few years ago to make it so that guns wanting to be sold there had to do that but it is my understanding that it didn't pass.