PDA

View Full Version : 870 mag tube thread pitch?

soldier_twiggy
11-14-14, 22:39
I just slapped my 870 tactical in a bullpup unlimited chassis, but would still like to be able to plug it for legal bird hunting.

My thoughts to achieve this are to cut the end off the factory +2 extension and re-thread it for a standard mag tube cap. Thus allowing me to plug the mag tube without having to disassemble the gun.

Has anyone done something like this? Does anyone know the specs on the threads? Lastly, does anyone know of some dies that'd allow me to do this at home and avoid the $50+/hour gunsmith charges?

essayons

GH41
11-15-14, 06:57
I just slapped my 870 tactical in a bullpup unlimited chassis, but would still like to be able to plug it for legal bird hunting.

My thoughts to achieve this are to cut the end off the factory +2 extension and re-thread it for a standard mag tube cap. Thus allowing me to plug the mag tube without having to disassemble the gun.

Has anyone done something like this? Does anyone know the specs on the threads? Lastly, does anyone know of some dies that'd allow me to do this at home and avoid the $50+/hour gunsmith charges?

essayons

I think you will find that the threads on the factory magazine tube are rolled not cut. Have you thought about getting an aftermarket extension like Nordic that uses an end cap on the tube? This seems like a lot of trouble to go through to hunt birds with a bull pup shotgun.

soldier_twiggy
11-15-14, 08:42
I think you will find that the threads on the factory magazine tube are rolled not cut. Have you thought about getting an aftermarket extension like Nordic that uses an end cap on the tube? This seems like a lot of trouble to go through to hunt birds with a bull pup shotgun.
I have looked at the Nordic Components extension... kinda pricey, especially since I have all the parts to do the same thing here at the house.

I figured that when Remington manufactured their tubes the threads weren't cut in, but the tube wall seems plenty thick enough to accept the shallow threads of the end cap.

I have my 10ga for the "long duck" days, but it's to much for the "in your face duck" days. It's also too long for the dense turkey woods, thus my desire to get the bullpup up and running.

And before anyone says, "a tactical gun only has an 18-20" bbl, which is too short to shoot waterfowl"...it's not if you have the talent. I've killed Mallards at 45+ yards with it before it was a bullpup.

essayons

GH41
11-15-14, 16:09
I have looked at the Nordic Components extension... kinda pricey, especially since I have all the parts to do the same thing here at the house.

I figured that when Remington manufactured their tubes the threads weren't cut in, but the tube wall seems plenty thick enough to accept the shallow threads of the end cap.

I have my 10ga for the "long duck" days, but it's to much for the "in your face duck" days. It's also too long for the dense turkey woods, thus my desire to get the bullpup up and running.

And before anyone says, "a tactical gun only has an 18-20" bbl, which is too short to shoot waterfowl"...it's not if you have the talent. I've killed Mallards at 45+ yards with it before it was a bullpup.

essayons

If doesn't sound like you have the parts to do it. It sounds like you have parts you hope to modify and make work. If the tube is thick enough to thread (I doubt it is) and you find a die (I doubt you will) how will you cut the tube? With hacksaw? How will you hold the tube to thread it? I commend you for trying to use what you have and save a few dollars but you risk spending more than you have the potential to save if you f... up. They aren't going to give you the die and holder if you find one. BTW... We shot mallards at 45 yards with a 22 long rifle when we were kids. We didn't know we were supposed to shoot them while they flew.

26 Inf
11-15-14, 21:38
Maybe I've just always been lucky, but no one has every told me the dowel I drop into the mag tube isn't a legal plug.

After done, barrel off and shake until it lines up and drops out the hole in the spring retainer.

soldier_twiggy
11-16-14, 20:51
Well, this thread was helpful. Mods may as well shut this one down.

essayons

GH41
11-17-14, 06:32
26Inf gave me an idea. Braze a small nut onto the end of the cap. Fit a bolt/screw into the nut long enough to limit the tube to 2 rounds.

soldier_twiggy
11-17-14, 23:49
26Inf gave me an idea. Braze a small nut onto the end of the cap. Fit a bolt/screw into the nut long enough to limit the tube to 2 rounds.
I've actually thought of this as well. The problem I ran into was I couldn't find a 12" long x 1/4" (ish) diameter bolt that was threaded full length.

essayons

soldier_twiggy
11-18-14, 00:03
If doesn't sound like you have the parts to do it. It sounds like you have parts you hope to modify and make work. If the tube is thick enough to thread (I doubt it is) and you find a die (I doubt you will) how will you cut the tube? With hacksaw? How will you hold the tube to thread it? I commend you for trying to use what you have and save a few dollars but you risk spending more than you have the potential to save if you f... up. They aren't going to give you the die and holder if you find one. BTW... We shot mallards at 45 yards with a 22 long rifle when we were kids. We didn't know we were supposed to shoot them while they flew.
I know a die isn't free.
I hacksaw would do fine, but a band saw would be faster.
A vise.
BTW...I shoot all my ducks in the air, thanks.

essayons

Dave_M
11-18-14, 04:20
Threads on an 870 magazine tube are ACME. I don't recall the exact measurements as it's been a few years and my friend (an 02/07 SOT) made the tool. Anyway, with a good lathe and proper tool they can indeed be cut. Regardless, definitely not a job to be done at home unless you have a very good machine shop already.

soldier_twiggy
11-18-14, 07:08
Threads on an 870 magazine tube are ACME. I don't recall the exact measurements as it's been a few years and my friend (an 02/07 SOT) made the tool. Anyway, with a good lathe and proper tool they can indeed be cut. Regardless, definitely not a job to be done at home unless you have a very good machine shop already.
Darn it...kinda figured. I'll see what the local gunsmith can do. If it's not reasonable I'll just drill a 3/8" hole, thread it, then drop in a 1/4" dowel rod and close the tube with a bolt.

essayons