PDA

View Full Version : To cut or replace a SCAR16 barrel?

Tzook
11-14-14, 22:59
Hey all, just got a scar 16 and I'm looking to SBR it. I know how cost prohibitive buying another barrel can be, so I'm wondering if cutting it could be equally reliable?

In searches here and on other forums I'm seeing that people are doing this, I just have reservations about gas system issues that this could cause. Anybody have any info or know where I could find it? Thanks in advance!

BBossman
11-14-14, 23:41
Check the FNForum.net

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

Clint
11-15-14, 08:09
The SCAR uses replaceable gas control screws in the gas block.

Adjusting the gas drive after a barrel chop is a simple matter of replacing the gas screw with the appropriately larger size.

BooneGA
11-15-14, 08:27
Marvin Pitts has been cutting SCARs down and can talk you through the options. The gas control screw question has been solved, I do not have experience with it, but he can help you out.

Rick

Tzook
11-15-14, 08:43
Check the FNForum.net

Sent from my PG41200 using Tapatalk 2

Thank you! Lots of great stuff on there, wasn't a member before but definitely will be now.

RHINOWSO
11-15-14, 08:48
Marvin Pitts has been cutting SCARs down and can talk you through the options. The gas control screw question has been solved, I do not have experience with it, but he can help you out.
Marvin cut down my 16 and 17. I went with slightly longer than OEM SBR barrel length on the 16 - 10.5" instead of 10".

Tuning the GCS isn't hard to do and you have to decide how you want the weapon to function - on all 556/223 ammo (including the low power stuff) or only with 5.56 ammo. I wanted it to work with everything and the GCS size I use is 1.85MM. It functioned fine with almost all ammo at 1.80MM but gave some failure to lock back on the last round with Wolf, so I bumped it up to 1.85MM so I can be very confident it will function with anything I feed it.

This is the thread you want to look at.

http://fnforum.net/forums/fn-scar-16s/19479-scar-16-gas-control-screw-thread.html