PDA

View Full Version : Silencer Permit

VA_Dinger
06-12-06, 11:14
I'm considering buying one of the Surefire silencers later this year. Is the permit process any different from the SBR? Does it take the same ammount of time to get approved?

I had to wait eight months for the SBR to come back. :mad:

Sweep
06-12-06, 12:20
god i hope NOT! my last suppresor transfered in 21 days:p

bigbore
06-12-06, 12:42
I'm considering buying one of the Surefire silencers later this year. Is the permit process any different from the SBR? Does it take the same ammount of time to get approved?

I had to wait eight months for the SBR to come back. :mad:

The last 6 suppressors I transferred on Form 4s to individuals took no longer than 7-8 weeks.

If you dont dont mind me asking, why did you decide on the Surefire Suppressor?

SHIVAN
06-12-06, 13:58
It's the same tax stamp process, not really a "permit", but you use a Form 4 instead of a Form 1. All the same detail required, all the same signatures needed.

I have found F4's to take about as long as F1's...

My last F4 took about 2.5-3 months. An M16A1.

DBautista
06-12-06, 16:17
Hey there VA Dinger,

I live in Virginia Beach and my local Class 3 dealer is the Armory, they are super helpful when it comes to NFA paperwork.

Instead of a Form 1 for the SBR you will do a Form 4... You do the prints, pics, and LEO signoff (LT. Fox) and bring it back to the Armory. They will walk you through the process, they did it for two of my cans.

They are extremely helpful when it comes to C3. Marie is the one that will hook you up... She has that "motherly" vibe to her, she is a real nice lady.

The Surefire can $$$$... I have asked Bill about the Yankee Hill QD can for .223, I am very interested cause of the price (1/2 the cost of the Surefire) and the QD feature. Bill is also a super nice guy!

Check them out... They will help you with your C3 needs...

Oh yeah... My last can took 56 days...

Impact
06-13-06, 13:08
+1 on the YHM can...best bang for the buck IMO

VA_Dinger
06-13-06, 19:40
If you dont dont mind me asking, why did you decide on the Surefire Suppressor?

No real reason other than a small amount of personal experience. A few of us got to watch a DSS employee and some members of the 10-8 crew test them out. We also got to shoot them. I was more than impressed.

Very quite, accurate, very QD, and well constructed. I have no idea what they cost though. This is a fall/winter 2006 project.

Other than this experience, I don't know crap about silencers.

bigbore
06-13-06, 19:52
No real reason other than a small amount of personal experience. A few of us got to watch a DSS employee and some members of the 10-8 crew test them out. We also got to shoot them. I was more than impressed.

Very quite, accurate, very QD, and well constructed. I have no idea what they cost though. This is a fall/winter 2006 project.

Other than this experience, I don't know crap about silencers.

They are excellent suppressors, as are all Surefire products. Are you going for the M4 or the K model? I'd recommend the K.

VA_Dinger
06-13-06, 21:15
It looks like I might have to rethink my Surefire decision. I just noticed that Surefire does not recommend any of their models for less than 11.5" barrels. I wanted mine for use on my 10.5", 14.5", and 16" guns. I was planning on buying one suppressor and three mounts.

I'm now back to the drawing board. :(

bigbore
06-13-06, 21:20
It looks like I might have to rethink my Surefire decision. I just noticed that Surefire does not recommend any of their models for less than 11.5" barrels. I wanted mine for use on my 10.5", 14.5", and 16" guns. I was planning on buying one suppressor and three mounts.

I'm now back to the drawing board. :(

I wouldn't hesitate to put the K model on a 10.5".

http://www.adcofirearms.com/images/eric_sf_can.jpg

VA_Dinger
06-13-06, 21:25
I wouldn't hesitate to put the K model on a 10.5".

Any problems? How many rounds through it in testing?

I based what I said on this:

M4FA556-BK:
5.56 mm Fast-Attach™ High Endurance Sound Suppressor

Designed for 5.56X45 mm assault rifles with barrels at least 11.5" long
Compensator/adapters for the M16/M4 carbine and other weapons
No weapon modifications — simply remove the factory compensator and install the SureFire compensator/adapter

http://www.surefire.com/maxexp/main/co_disp/displ/pgrfnbr/517/sesent/00

VA_Dinger
06-13-06, 21:35
Steve, thanks for the heads up on the "K" model. It looks like Surefire really needs to update their website. The full model number is FA556K. A little research over on 10-8 helped also.

bigbore
06-13-06, 21:42
The 11.5" length is basically a CYA for the maker regarding warranty claims. There is only 1 brand of suppressor that I wount not recommend putting on a barrel shorter than 11.5".

That said, I'd be hesitant to shoot any long bullets(75-77gr) from a 10.5" w/suppressor that I had to pay for. Just another reason, I dont see any benefit to a 10.5" when you can get an 11.5":)

I've probably only put about 1K rounds through the suppressor, I dont have a single complaint or thing I would change.

If you're setting aside over $1K for a suppressor I suggest doing a bunch of homework to make sure you are getting what you want.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/junkpics/556ksbr.jpg
http://www.adcofirearms.com/junkpics/556kweight.jpg

DBautista
06-14-06, 19:35
If you're setting aside over $1K for a suppressor I suggest doing a bunch of homework to make sure you are getting what you want.

This one of the main reasons why I am not purchasing the can. Sales tax and Tax Stamp will add over 250+ dollars!!!

I pretty sure on the YHM, but looking at SWR and AAC...

Master Blaster
06-14-06, 21:09
good luck dealing with Surefire- we were at Shot Show talking to a Surefire rep about their cans.. 3 of us with cash money in hand S.O.T. stamp, FFL-- the rep. would not tell us how much they cost, would not take an order, anything.
so good luck.
the YHM is kind of loud
Gemtech is a good

mfingar
06-20-06, 15:59
Fortunately, it's much faster than a SBR Form 1 (at the moment).

Steps:

1. Buy the suppressor (if you buy from an out-of-state dealer, have it transferred to your Class-3 dealer on a Form 3...the dealers handle that, similar to a firearms transfer)

2. Once your Class 3 dealer has it in their possession, They'll provide you with a Form 4.

3. Assuming you're filing as an individual, get the CLEO's signature, passport photos (2 ea), Fingerprint Cards (2 ea) and Citizenship forms together, along with a $200 tax check, and give it all to your dealer...they'll finalize and mail the form in. If you're filing under a Corporation, or Trust, the paperwork is streamlined.

Either way,
The check should cash within 2 weeks and the paperwork should clear about 3-4 weeks after that.

SuicideHz
07-11-06, 18:55
Try going the Trust route. I read the Trust thread on *sigh* AR15.com and started one. As soon as Doug ships my Matrix 9 to my local C3, I'll fill out the next set of forms and hopefully it will be the now typical 30 days!

Les C.
07-27-06, 10:18
Try going the Trust route. I read the Trust thread on *sigh* AR15.com and started one. As soon as Doug ships my Matrix 9 to my local C3, I'll fill out the next set of forms and hopefully it will be the now typical 30 days!

I'm considering a revocable living trust for my NFA goodies, can you go into a little detail on how this works ??? Thanks in advance.

SuicideHz
07-29-06, 02:11
Basically you use Quicken Willmaker 2006 and and select "living will" and then just fill in the blanks. It will ask you your full name, city, state, who you want to list as the trustee, the beneficiaries, etc.

It will then put together a 6 page document that you can print out and get notarized. There is also a shorter form you can send in with your Form4 or whatever.

Basically a Revocable Living Trust is like a company- IT is the owner of the NFA item and you as the trustee are the human being responsible for it (I guess that's how you'd put it.) The RLT has no hands to fingerprint, no face to photograph and no background to run a check on. So, that cuts the paperwork time down to 30 or so days.

There is a 14+ page thread on the other site. I'd like to get over and search for it, but I'm banned and can't search...

We need to post that info here...

Trey-W
08-09-06, 00:13
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=17&t=199942

rob_s
08-09-06, 05:44
I also went the trust route, for whatever that's worth.

I'm debating between the Ops can and the Surefire myself. I've pretty much decided to wait until my 6933 arrives and I can hold it in my hands before I try to figure out what can I'm going to go with.

The Ops can has an adapter for the 10.5" barrel which sort of makes it into an 11.5" barrel. I'm sure bigbore can post pics.

JLM
08-13-06, 16:46
Interesting.

Hardgear, LLC
08-16-06, 22:13
Dinger,

Being a C2 in VA, I can help you.

Bomber

bigbore
08-16-06, 22:25
I also went the trust route, for whatever that's worth.

I'm debating between the Ops can and the Surefire myself. I've pretty much decided to wait until my 6933 arrives and I can hold it in my hands before I try to figure out what can I'm going to go with.

The Ops can has an adapter for the 10.5" barrel which sort of makes it into an 11.5" barrel. I'm sure bigbore can post pics.

Its a bad idea to use the adapter - if you have to have the length of an 11.5" barrel, just get an 11.5" barrel.
http://www.adcofirearms.com/junkpics/10_5adapt.jpg

P.S.
Banned from 10-8 huh? They kicked me out LOOOOONG ago.
I'm even banned from training classes taught by them:D
I didnt lose any sleep over it.

VA_Dinger
08-16-06, 22:35
Dinger,

Being a C2 in VA, I can help you.

Bomber

Thats cool, I will be in touch.

Thanks