PDA

View Full Version : All-purpose range/shooting belt recommendation

Brandon04GT
11-15-14, 18:28
I'm looking for a sturdy belt that won't break the bank for just general range/holster carrying purposes. I decided that I want a 1.75" one so that it is wider than standard but not too wide that it won't work with all kinds of pants including regular jeans and etc.

Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks!

Cmm46
11-15-14, 19:20
Maybe the 5.11 Operator belt? I have the Trainer belt which has been good and has lasted a couple of years. Theyre about $40.

SpeedRacer
11-15-14, 19:37
For a basic range/EDC belt I really like the Wilderness Instructor belt. Been wearing one every day for years.

wirides
11-15-14, 20:15
Wilderness is good stuff for sure.

Brandon04GT
11-15-14, 20:17
Thanks for the responses. So far the 5.11 Operator belt is appealing to me. It's priced at exactly what I'd like to spend and is at the width I want. Still open to any other suggestions...

EDIT: Hmm, the Wilderness belts are at the same price point but have more options....time to do some more reading...

Thanks

Wake27
11-15-14, 20:24
For pretty much everything 5.11, there is better stuff out there for the money. Take a look at Volund Gearworks belts. Their G-Hook Atlas belt has everything you need and nothing you don't - such as a bulky, heavy, and expensive Cobra buckle rated to 6 million pounds just for the hell of it. I've worn the same one for about two years and just ordered a slightly less stiff one for duty where I don't need to hang 10 pounds off of it, but do need it to stay secure under a ruck and kit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lunchbox
11-15-14, 21:06
I'm a big fan of the Wilderness Frequent Flyer.

SpeedRacer
11-15-14, 21:18
Thanks for the responses. So far the 5.11 Operator belt is appealing to me. It's priced at exactly what I'd like to spend and is at the width I want. Still open to any other suggestions...

EDIT: Hmm, the Wilderness belts are at the same price point but have more options....time to do some more reading...

Thanks

Forgot about all the options. For regular use, I recommend the 5-stitch upgrade, but not the stiffening insert. The 5-stitch is plenty stiff enough for range/carry use, the added stiffener makes it crazy stiff, like use your belt as a hula hoop kinda stiff.

After wearing it a couple years I liked the Instructor belt so much I ended up buying the Titanium version. Seems spendy but I've been wearing that one daily for about 4 years now with virtually no sign of wear. I'd be surprised if I get less than 10 years out of it.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
11-16-14, 06:29
If using a IWB holster I highly suggest the Volund Atlas belt.

sidewaysil80
11-16-14, 07:27
For a basic range/EDC belt I really like the Wilderness Instructor belt. Been wearing one every day for years.
Couldn't agree more. I opted for the plastic insert and its strong enough to support my duty belt with ease. Not too mention its perfect for IDPA as the holster has ZERO play once its on. Its a great investment and will likely last a lifetime.

Voodoo_Man
11-16-14, 07:31
I'll just leave this here...

http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2014/07/volundgearworks-atlas-g-hook-belt-175in.html

Packeagle
11-16-14, 09:04
I went from a Beltman Leather belt to a 5 stitch The Wilderness belt. I like the infinite adjustability much better. I also fell between sizes on the 5.11 so the 1" sizing increments on the wilderness was better for me. I also think I remember the wilderness belt felt a bit stiffer in hand, but I didn't compare side by side.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

xcravx
11-16-14, 13:13
I'll throw in another endorsement for the Atlas belt. I've really grown to appreciate how unobtrusive the belt is with the g hook.

sidewaysil80
11-16-14, 13:43
Stiffening insert isn't too bad. Takes a couple seconds longer to put on, but its not noticeable once its on or uncomfortable.

Tigereye
11-16-14, 18:12
I've used a Wilderness Instructor for 5 years and it's held up well. I recently got an Ares Aegis and really like it so far. Their Ranger belt might be a good choice as well.

SeriousStudent
11-16-14, 18:52
I used a Volund Gear Works Atlas belt for six days out of the week for the last two years. It still looks new.

For the last two weeks, I've been using an Ares Gear Aegis belt. I like it a lot. It's dressier when I need it to look dressier, and is less likely to get "made" as a gunbelt than the ones with a rescue D-ring, such as a Wilderness or 5.11.

It's also easier for me to carry both a fixed blade knife and a spare mag with the Ares belt. That's a plus, as I like to carry a fixed blade at 11 o'clock and a spare G17 mag at 1 o'clock under an untucked polo shirt.

But the Ares belt costs twice as much as the Atlas. And you would really have to work at wearing out either item. They are both great long-term investments.

4DAIVI PAI2K5
11-16-14, 19:27
I used a Volund Gear Works Atlas belt for six days out of the week for the last two years. It still looks new.

For the last two weeks, I've been using an Ares Gear Aegis belt. I like it a lot. It's dressier when I need it to look dressier, and is less likely to get "made" as a gunbelt than the ones with a rescue D-ring, such as a Wilderness or 5.11.

It's also easier for me to carry both a fixed blade knife and a spare mag with the Ares belt. That's a plus, as I like to carry a fixed blade at 11 o'clock and a spare G17 mag at 1 o'clock under an untucked polo shirt.

But the Ares belt costs twice as much as the Atlas. And you would really have to work at wearing out either item. They are both great long-term investments.

Speaking of caring a spare mag, the snagmag is and awesome way to do it.

carl.c
11-16-14, 19:51
As others have stated, Volund Gearworks belts work well, especially for the price point.

Brandon04GT
11-17-14, 16:36
Thanks for all the responses. Lots of good suggestions but I can only pick one. So far, I'm now leaning towards a Wilderness Instructor belt. So far the only difference I see between the original and the easy-fit is that the easy-fit has slightly more adjustment range at the expense of having a longer "excess flap" or whatever it's called. I think I'll be just fine with the original Instructor.

The Volund belt looks nice but seems to be pretty thick. As of now, I only intend to use the belt "casually" during range trips or what not. I don't expect that I will be carry anymore than maybe a holster and a few mag pouches at the most.

One thing I'd also like to ask....in the future I might be looking to get a battle belt. From what I understand, it's really just a big sleeve with an inner belt. Is 1.75" wide enough for that application? I'm only asking because I want to make sure all the holsters/accessories I buy from now on will have belt loops wide enough to accommodate a good belt but not too wide to have the extra space.

Thanks

Voodoo_Man
11-17-14, 17:09
Thanks for all the responses. Lots of good suggestions but I can only pick one. So far, I'm now leaning towards a Wilderness Instructor belt. So far the only difference I see between the original and the easy-fit is that the easy-fit has slightly more adjustment range at the expense of having a longer "excess flap" or whatever it's called. I think I'll be just fine with the original Instructor.

The Volund belt looks nice but seems to be pretty thick. As of now, I only intend to use the belt "casually" during range trips or what not. I don't expect that I will be carry anymore than maybe a holster and a few mag pouches at the most.

One thing I'd also like to ask....in the future I might be looking to get a battle belt. From what I understand, it's really just a big sleeve with an inner belt. Is 1.75" wide enough for that application? I'm only asking because I want to make sure all the holsters/accessories I buy from now on will have belt loops wide enough to accommodate a good belt but not too wide to have the extra space.

Thanks

Volund now offers a "slim" version without the rigid part. I want to get it but then I realize that I like a thicker belt.

Since I posted one applicable review, i'll post the other

My review of the wilderness belt - http://vdmsr.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-original-wilderness-tactical.html

echoslob
11-19-14, 13:31
I was a huge fan of the Volund. I even bought a another with the cobra buckle. I don't know if it's just me but I just can't get the G hook as tight as i would like. I am probably going to go back to my Wilderness. I saw a couple tips posted on how to get it tight but it just isn't working for me.

echoslob
11-30-14, 22:00
Another update to this. Since my last post I have had to wear tactical pants Vertex and 5.11's. I haven't had to wear those for some time. I have been wearing jeans for the most part with the Volund. Not one problem and the belt stays tight. I realize now my problem only seems to be with jeans.

Brandon04GT
12-04-14, 15:53
I'll probably get flamed for this but I ended up going with the 5.11 Operator belt. It was on sale for about $32 shipped which is about half the price of a Wilderness after options and shipping. I just got it today and so far it seems to be pretty good for the money and certainly something good enough for me to use during the only several times a year I may hit a range/shooting spot that allows you to holster guns.