PDA

View Full Version : Aimpoint Lens Cleaning Help

CLHC
06-24-08, 15:32
Greetings!

I was curious to know how you owners of the Aimpoint Comps clean your lenses if and when necessary? Case in point with me, there was lube/oil that "migrated" into both ends of my Aimpoint even though the flip-up covers were closed. When I opened it up, to my horror :eek: I can see collection of the lubricant on the threads where the lens meet and on the lens.

Now here's an excerpt from the Aimpoint User's Manual:

CHAPTER III
OPERATION UNDER EXTREME CONDITIONS
CAUTION: The lenses shall never be cleaned with fingers but with lens paper/cloth. If no lens paper/cloth available:
-- To clear away debris (sand, grass, etc.): blow away the dirt.
-- To clean lenses: mist up the lenses and dry them with a clean and soft piece of cloth.

I have that bulbous camera lens cleaner blower, microfiber cloths, and that lens cleaning solution that's Q-Tips like. One would break the stem and allow the lens cleaning solution to seep onto the cotton (don't know if it's truly cotton, though I doubt it) swabbing.

The lubricant is from OTIS that seeped into the lens. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Or just go ahead and "swab" away at the lens? The manual calls for one to "mist up the lenses." Question is, do I "mist" it with my mouth? If so, then that'll take some time to do to get rid of the lube!

UVvis
06-24-08, 15:52
I had a bit of lube/dust build up on my lenses and aimpoints. I used some warm soapy water, rinsed well, then cleaned with isopropanol, then a lenscloth. Worked pretty well. Having Larue mounts made this painless.

CLHC
06-24-08, 16:11
Wait second! You mean I can wash my Aimpoint ML3 by "immersing the sight in water"?--[Italics, Aimpoint]

UVvis
06-24-08, 16:25
Wait second! You mean I can wash my Aimpoint ML3 by "immersing the sight in water"?--[Italics, Aimpoint]

Sounds crazy doesn't it? :)

CLHC
06-24-08, 16:31
Sounds crazy doesn't it? :)
As "crazy" as it is indeed! I don't know why that went over my head :o , but thanks UVvis for the thought! Going to do that soon enough here. :cool:

UVvis
06-24-08, 16:34
As "crazy" as it is indeed! I don't know why that went over my head :o , but thanks UVvis for the thought! Going to do that soon enough here. :cool:

Just make sure the caps are on tight (adjustments and battery).

CLHC
11-21-09, 23:36
Does anyone use those lenspen cleaners for their RDS? If so, does it work fine?

GLOCKMASTER
11-22-09, 06:54
For optics lens cleaning I use a combination of a lens pen along with the Zeiss Lens Cleaning Kit that can be found near the Wal Mart Eye Center . I use the lens pen and canned air to remove debris then I use the lens spray and cloth in the Zeiss kit to actually clean the lens.

RogerinTPA
11-22-09, 08:22
I hear you. I can't figure out how debris gets inside my clear lens caps and on to the lenses either.:confused: I use the regular lens cleaner spay bottle, lens cloth and cuetips.