PDA

View Full Version : Question about Range Officer and Range etiquette.

ghostsup
11-16-14, 10:09
*Sorry if this thread is on the wrong place and please feel free to move it to the correct area if needed.

Yesterday my wife and I went up to our local range where I am a member. It was the first time I had ever been there on a weekend as I prefer to go on the weekdays when there is nobody there... including staff. When we got to the 100 yard rifle range there was only 1 other person shooting at the furthest table. We got all setup and good to go. I have a Pelican case which holds both my BCM rifle and my Colt. I took out the BCM and left the case open with the Colt inside the case which was sitting at my feet under the table. After firing a couple of rounds at the table a range officer came up to me and asked me to remove the Colt and place it on one of the range supplied gun racks, in which I complied. Went back to shooting at the table with the BCM and a few minutes later he came back over and picked up my Colt and inspected it. He never asked to pick up my rifle he just did it. At the time I didn't really think anything of it, but later in the day I got to thinking about it and it sort of pissed me off.

What are your opinions on this? Am I simply overreacting or should I email the range master and let him know that IMO his RSO stepped over the line?

Thank You.

Warp
11-16-14, 10:11
This doesn't really belong here.

Short answer: He shouldn't be doing that.

ghostsup
11-16-14, 10:20
I knew somebody would find the right place for my question! I would of posted it in General but I can't post there yet. Thanks Mod who moved me.

ST911
11-16-14, 10:21
What does "inspected it" mean? What did he do, exactly?

Part of his responsibility is to ensure that guns that aren't in use are in a safe condition and are generally compliant with range rules. If he was verifying it was unloaded in the rack, or didn't have some other attribute of concern, he's not out in left field but there are some courtesies a smart RO would use with the owner.

If he picked it up to check it out like he was browsing a sale rack, he should ask.

ghostsup
11-16-14, 10:27
Hi Skintop911, from what I can tell he simply picked it up, pulled back the charging handle and placed it back in the rack. My vision was more peripheral as I was shooting at the time. My wife saw the whole thing, so I'm going with what she saw.

eljimbo142
11-16-14, 10:34
he was just checking to make sure there was no round in the chamber. it should have been racked with bolt locked open.

Voodoo_Man
11-16-14, 10:35
From my experience with private gun clubs and self proclaimed "range officers" or "staff" is that they are, mostly, doing the right thing but going about it in a very wrong way.

Did he mean well? Yes. Was it his property to touch? No.

Proper etiquette is to ask first, then wait for an answer before touching someone elses firearm unless it is an absolute life and death type of scenario.

HKGuns
11-16-14, 10:49
he was just checking to make sure there was no round in the chamber. it should have been racked with bolt locked open.

^This^....If it was in the rack with the bolt closed, it was his job to ensure it was empty. Range etiquette is that you put them on the rack with the bolts open. Range rules can vary a bit, but this one is pretty consistent in my experience.

ghostsup
11-16-14, 10:52
Ah, makes sense. I always store my guns with the bolt closed and when i racked it I forgot to lock the bolt open. My mistake. Thanks for the replies guys... I'm going to let this go due to my careless mistake and learn from it.

Heavy Metal
11-16-14, 12:10
IMO, the RO is right and it is rare for me to say that considering most civilian RO's are jack-legs who are just making it up as they go.

He was just ensuring there were no loaded rifles on the firing line that weren't being shot.

If you case had been closed, I would have thought him a prick. And I understand why he wanted the bolt locked back. He should have told you to lock it to the rear when he told you to rack it.

Warp
11-16-14, 12:12

^This^....If it was in the rack with the bolt closed, it was his job to ensure it was empty. Range etiquette is that you put them on the rack with the bolts open. Range rules can vary a bit, but this one is pretty consistent in my experience.

Yup.

Next time, lock the bolt of your rifle back (or use a chamber flag) (no magazine/unloaded of course)

GeorgeB
11-16-14, 12:21
"Went back to shooting at the table with the BCM and a few minutes later he came back over and picked up my Colt and inspected it. He never asked to pick up my rifle he just did it. At the time I didn't really think anything of it, but later in the day I got to thinking about it and it sort of pissed me off."

Nobody has the right, ever, to touch your firearm without your expression permission. On the other hand, if you put it up in a rifle rack without the bolt open, clearly visible, that was your fault and mistake. Sounds to me like you need to learn your range's rules before you go out again. At our range, we require everyone to step away from their weapons when the range is cold and not touch them, ammo, or anything else. Idiots who violate that simple, common sense rule are reminded, in varying degrees of "polite" conversation. Nothing pisses me off more than to be walking back from downrange placing targets to see some jerk handling his firearm, even sighting it. I generally am not very polite when I go over to talk to him.

QuietShootr
11-16-14, 12:39
Agree with this guy. now, that being said, he should NOT have touched it without asking first.

IMO, the RO is right and it is rare for me to say that considering most civilian RO's are jack-legs who are just making it up as they go.

He was just ensuring there were no loaded rifles on the firing line that weren't being shot.

If you case had been closed, I would have thought him a prick. And I understand why he wanted the bolt locked back. He should have told you to lock it to the rear when he told you to rack it.

SpeedRacer
11-16-14, 12:45

This. If he would have been playing around with it or some other form of uninvited fondling I'd say it's an issue. I forgot the same thing one time and had the RO stop me in the middle of shooting to scold me and make me lock the bolt carrier back. I'd say what this guy did was actually the more polite way to handle it.

I've since gotten in the habit of using chamber flags, makes their job easier and eliminates any reason for them to touch my shiz.

ghostsup
11-16-14, 13:43
Thanks again to all that replied. Much appreciated, and I will definitely take what I learned and apply it. Also like the idea of the chamber flags. GeorgeB, it's the same rules at our range in regards to racking your weapons when there is a cease-fire and I feel the same way as you do regarding that matter. SpeedRacer, great idea on the chamber flags... I think I'll give that a go.

Warp
11-16-14, 16:11
Thanks again to all that replied. Much appreciated, and I will definitely take what I learned and apply it. Also like the idea of the chamber flags. GeorgeB, it's the same rules at our range in regards to racking your weapons when there is a cease-fire and I feel the same way as you do regarding that matter. SpeedRacer, great idea on the chamber flags... I think I'll give that a go.

$7 for 6 of them, shipped, Prime

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003RBTNXO/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pd_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3RHR132J1MWO1&coliid=I2DLK8HHCSYNAX

I use these for all centerfire rifles. They do require the action be closed on them (with control of course don't slam it home) in order to stay in place, but then they WILL stay in place, and help keep gravel, rocks, etc from being kicked into the chamber if you have to leave it on the ground.

ghostsup
11-16-14, 16:16
Thanks Warp!!! Purchased! I do have Prime, so a good deal overall.

SpeedRacer
11-16-14, 16:50
Same ones I use, and the only thing with Tapco written on it allowed in my home. Okay and maybe an AK trigger or two.