PDA

View Full Version : Hearing Protection when Hunting

bjxds
11-16-14, 15:20
How many use hearing pro while hunting?

I guess the older I get the more I worry.

I never used ANY while hunting, and sometimes not when shooting, unless I was shooting a lot.

I have started to try to use a set of Howard Leight Impact Sports, and they sort of work. Pain in the ass when its cold and need a hat, not really comfortable all day and I don't think they will hold up in the rain or snow….

Airhasz
11-16-14, 15:58
I wore my HL ear pro hunting the last two days. Turned all the way up they increase hearing volumn and keep ears warmer than bare ears. I don't like to cover my ears with a hat as it muffles the sounds deer make sneaking through the woods.

ST911
11-16-14, 18:08
I wore my HL ear pro hunting the last two days. Turned all the way up they increase hearing volumn and keep ears warmer than bare ears. I don't like to cover my ears with a hat as it muffles the sounds deer make sneaking through the woods.

Same here. Keep my ears protected, warm, and help me hear more than if I cover them up with a beanie.

brown3345
11-16-14, 18:20
I always wear protection when shooting but I never have when hunting mostly because I thought those fancy electronic ones wouldn't be up to snuff. Maybe I should try a pair sometime.

TAZ
11-16-14, 18:29
I can't imagine choosing to shoot without hearing pro. Ive done it, by accident, but never choice. The few hunting trips Ive taken, electronic HP came in handy to be able to hear the needed noises and communications, yet keep me from going deaf over time. Plus, they really do work as great ear muffs when its cold out side.

Ryno12
11-16-14, 18:40
I never do. If I'm deer or turkey hunting, it's typically one shot (hopefully) and I honestly don't notice it.

BufordTJustice
11-16-14, 20:49
I have some etymotic research ear molds that I use. They are only for hunting though as they only have an NRR of 25dB. But, they uniformly reduce the entire spectrum of audio (from 40 hz to 17khz, with a roll off above and below, IIRC) and preserve the fidelity of what you hear. I received them to mix concerts and they were quite expensive for my company, as I recall. They are totally passive and are in-ear like the surefire ear pro.

BIGUGLY
11-16-14, 21:32
The surefire ear pro works pretty good, I know Primos also has some that are basically the rebranded Surefire. I never did while hunting growing up. My son does though all the time and after having my bell rung a couple times in a duck blind by others with poor muzzle control I know its better to wear it and be uncomfortable than deaf. My dad has hearing loss after a injury and being a mechanic and he can't hear shit, that is annoying. But I wear it now and am usually pretty careful whether mowing or shooting. Just need to save up for some good electronic ear pro.

bjxds
11-17-14, 18:38
I can't imagine choosing to shoot without hearing pro. Ive done it, by accident, but never choice. The few hunting trips Ive taken, electronic HP came in handy to be able to hear the needed noises and communications, yet keep me from going deaf over time. Plus, they really do work as great ear muffs when its cold out side.

Maybe I should have clarified. Its not like I really chose to, I really only did it because I did not know any better at the time. Many Manny moons ago we regularly only used cotton balls when shooting. My dear ole dad, rest his sole, came from the old school, hell he sometimes used the filters from his cigs for ear pro. To put this in perspective, he joined the army when he was 17, fought in Korea and 2 tours in Vietnam. I remember his stories of cigs in c-rations. The attitude back then was; HELL if its to loud for ya boy, stick some damm cotton in ur ears.

And until recently I have NEVER used ear pro when hunting.

As time progressed we all learned the value of proper ear pro. Now I double up with full size ear pro even when outdoors. I only hope all the years of shooting with out ear pro, lighting fireworks, running chain saws and many rock concerts have not done permanent damage. The older I get the more I notice a constant ringing in my ears.

No more rock concerts, limited wood cutting and fireworks, BUT MORE SHOOTING and Hunting!

To be honest most electronic ear pro NRR 22-25 seem a little light to me, BUT I figure something is better than nothing.

I hope with the advancement of technology affordable effective electronic ear pro will not even be a consideration for my grand kids.

TXBK
11-17-14, 18:46
Sure do. Courtesy of SilencerCo.

TexasGunNut
11-17-14, 19:25
Sure do. Courtesy of SilencerCo.

Beat me to it. I also grew up with the old cotton in the ears or "bare back" with no protection at all. I also didn't wear seat belts but I've gotten smarter as I've aged. I don't have enough hearing left to use ear protection when I hunt but I almost exclusively shoot suppressed.