PDA

View Full Version : G-Code Scorpion Series

SteveL
11-16-14, 22:37
Has anyone tried out the new G-Code Scorpion Series mag pouches yet?

http://www.tacticalholsters.com/category/Scorpion.html

gman556
11-19-14, 20:25
Would like to hear about these myself. I figure there will be a long long long long wait time for these once orders get started. G-code has been buried in orders for the last year and wait times have gone to 6-10 weeks and in some cases more.

SteveL
11-20-14, 12:52
They look really interesting to me. I ordered a pistol mag pouch to try out but I'm not sure when to expect it.

bowietx
11-20-14, 13:31
These appear to be a direct response to the TACO mag pouches. It does make you wonder if the retention will be as good with a kydex on plastic/metal interface vice the TACOs. Additionally the cost for these while competitive is high once you add the necessary adapter to the fray. I have many G-Code items and will take a look at these, but lately the wait times have tended to be a bit lengthy.

SteveL
11-20-14, 22:58
I've never used any products from G-Code, but given their reputation I'm thinking about ordering another pistol mag pouch and an AR pouch to put together and try out. I agree that they're a little on the pricey side once you get all the mounting hardware and such, and the wait time is a little frustrating too.

gman556
11-21-14, 18:55
I have had 3 G-code holsters, and use a bunch of their adapters, and it is all top notch equipment.

I broke the thumb lever on a SOC holster I had from them during a fall, and they repaired it at no cost to me except for the shipping. I had it back in a week when they were really busy like they are these days.

Voodoo_Man
11-21-14, 19:00
Very interesting concept. I like that they take diffetent mags based retention settings. I also dont like the soft cord retention method.

SteveL
12-11-14, 10:47
I received my pistol mag pouch yesterday. I ordered it in FDE with the paddle attachment. It's very well made and lined with whatever the fuzzy material is that G-Code uses in their holsters. So obviously it's not kydex on metal. This is not a low profile pouch. That's probably obvious from the pics already posted, but I want to put it out there anyway. I doubt you'll find it suitable for cc use. I think it's safe to say this was designed with duty rig/battle belt/chest rig use in mind.

Initially I cinched it down some and tried it out using a loaded 17 round 9mm magazine for a Walther PPQ M1. It held the magazine pretty securely while still allowing for a smooth, easy insertion or draw. While holding the magazine pouch by the paddle attachment and shaking it upside down, I was able to shake the loaded mag out of it with about 3-5 violent shakes. These shakes were way more than it would see from regular running and gunning. I went back and cinched it down quite a bit more and then I was unable to shake the magazine out at all, however this made the insertion/draw more difficult. Not unmanageable, but more difficult than most would probably want. So obviously it can be made to hold the magazine very securely, but you'll have to determine for yourself where the sweet spot is between how tightly it secures the magazine vs. how easy it is to draw it. For civvy/duty/competition use my initial impression is that they would serve you well. We'll have to see how well it holds up with extended use. Now I'm thinking of setting up a pistol mag pouch attached to an AR mag pouch to try out.

gman556
12-11-14, 10:57
I received my pistol mag pouch yesterday. I ordered it in FDE with the paddle attachment. It's very well made and lined with whatever the fuzzy material is that G-Code uses in their holsters. So obviously it's not kydex on metal. This is not a low profile pouch. That's probably obvious from the pics already posted, but I want to put it out there anyway. I doubt you'll find it suitable for cc use. I think it's safe to say this was designed with duty rig/battle belt/chest rig use in mind.

Initially I cinched it down some and tried it out using a loaded 17 round 9mm magazine for a Walther PPQ M1. It held the magazine pretty securely while still allowing for a smooth, easy insertion or draw. While holding the magazine pouch by the paddle attachment and shaking it upside down, I was able to shake the loaded mag out of it with about 3-5 violent shakes. These shakes were way more than it would see from regular running and gunning. I went back and cinched it down quite a bit more and then I was unable to shake the magazine out at all, however this made the insertion/draw more difficult. Not unmanageable, but more difficult than most would probably want. So obviously it can be made to hold the magazine very securely, but you'll have to determine for yourself where the sweet spot is between how tightly it secures the magazine vs. how easy it is to draw it. For civvy/duty/competition use my initial impression is that they would serve you well. We'll have to see how well it holds up with extended use. Now I'm thinking of setting up a pistol mag pouch attached to an AR mag pouch to try out.

SteveL
Thanks for the review and update.
Looks like they are shipping these out quicker than their other products.
Might have to try one out myself.
Thanks again for the update.

AFshirt
02-22-15, 09:06
A bit of an old thread but this is relative so I thought I would chime in. I ran two of these in a carbine class yesterday. I used them on a battle belt mount. The statement mentioned above about retention was a very good one. By the end of the day I had lost 3 PMAGS and 2 Glock mags. They worked great for stationary drills but we started doing some sprinting and the jostling up and down would cause the mags to ride upwards and eventually fall out. I had the bungee cinched down as tight as I could but after every drill if I didnt push them back down I would lose one and have to run the drill again for dropping a piece of gear. They make work better on a chest rig or plate carrier but I wanted to try them out belt mounted first. My stippled PMAGS held in fine but that was about it.

SteveL
02-22-15, 10:56
A bit of an old thread but this is relative so I thought I would chime in. I ran two of these in a carbine class yesterday. I used them on a battle belt mount. The statement mentioned above about retention was a very good one. By the end of the day I had lost 3 PMAGS and 2 Glock mags. They worked great for stationary drills but we started doing some sprinting and the jostling up and down would cause the mags to ride upwards and eventually fall out. I had the bungee cinched down as tight as I could but after every drill if I didnt push them back down I would lose one and have to run the drill again for dropping a piece of gear. They make work better on a chest rig or plate carrier but I wanted to try them out belt mounted first. My stippled PMAGS held in fine but that was about it.

Thanks for sharing your experience with them. Unfortunately it's exactly what I was afraid would happen.