PDA

View Full Version : Noobie AR break-in--what to do?

AR-15Tom
06-24-08, 19:27
I just recently got my hands on a new Colt 6920--by far the nicest rifle I've ever owned. Now it's time to get it ready for shooting.

I was talking about this with a member of this forum and wanted to double check I was going about everything correctly as I don't want to risk hurting such a fine weapon.

1. Clean off the smelly shipping oil and clean the bore. Any recommendations on brass or nylon brushes? I use an Otis cleaning kit (brass brushes) but have been informed not to use them they because they can scratch the lining and cause more dirt to collect. Who sells a good quality nylon brush (I'm having probs finding some)?

2. Take it to the range and run some ammo through it. I come from a target shooting background where you break in a barrel by shooting a few rounds, cleaning the bore, shooting a few more, clean, and progressively shoot more rounds until a couple hundred rounds are through it. With the chrome lined barrel on the 6920 is this necessary? If so, how many rounds do I shoot before cleaning?

3. Put a couple hundred rounds through it. Again, coming from shooting blued guns all my life I'm used to cleaning my rifles top-to-bottom, inside-out when I'm done to prevent corrosion. Since I'll be shooting the 6920 every couple weeks, how often should I clean it? Does everything need cleaned or just the bore?

4. I know some areas need to be lubed more than others. I think I know what to do but can somebody please explain the key areas to lube and how much to use?

I think that's it, please inform me if I missed something.

Noobie out!

Ron S.
06-24-08, 20:51
Just keep your sear and bolt group finger wet with lube, and you should be good. Clean the barrel periodically, but it doesn't have to be every time you shoot. Always insert a brush or patches from the back of the barrel. Always always make sure your gas rings are wet. Don't want them to get dry and crack.

AR's are anything but hard to take care of, so just enjoy.

EDIT: Only use Break Free CLP to lube. Half the lubes out there will ruin your rifle.

fred
06-24-08, 21:19
Ron, could you elaborate? On my duty guns I've used CLP, Slip 2000, TW25B, Royal Purple, etc., and have not ruined anything. What will ruin my rifle and why?

Not picking a fight, just want to learn.

Ron S.
06-24-08, 21:44
Rem Oil, for one. Way too thin, and you'll burn up your rifle.

nickdrak
06-24-08, 21:45
EDIT: Only use Break Free CLP to lube. Half the lubes out there will ruin your rifle.

I am interested in exactly which lubes will ruin a rifle, and how?

Soulrack223
06-24-08, 22:00
Just shoot it. No special break in for a chrome lined bore. I only use jags and patches down the bore--no brushes. I use a Dewey chamber brush and chamber stars from G and R to clean the chamber and and bolt lug recess. I use Slip2000 EWL to lube now, but I had used CLP for years. After several hundred rounds, when the lower is looking pretty filthy, I degrease it with Gun Scrubber and then re-lube it.

ETA It takes 5 patches to clean the bore after it soaks for a while. I spend most of my time cleaning and inspecting the BCG. And when I'm shooting every 1-3 weeks, I clean it every 2-3 trips to the range. YMMV

Ron S.
06-24-08, 22:09
I am interested in exactly which lubes will ruin a rifle, and how?

A lot of "so-so" gun shops will sell cheap, generic lube that is way too thin and doesn't properly protect your rifle.

gishooter
06-25-08, 02:06
removed, changed.

AMMOTECH
06-25-08, 03:54
Just keep your sear and bolt group finger wet with lube, and you should be good. Clean the barrel periodically, but it doesn't have to be every time you shoot. Always insert a brush or patches from the back of the barrel. Always always make sure your gas rings are wet. Don't want them to get dry and crack.

AR's are anything but hard to take care of, so just enjoy.

Bolt group finger??? If you plan to give someone some advice at least use the correct name of the items. :rolleyes:

CLP is a "cleaner" first. I use CPL to clean and Breakfree "LP" for lube.

LP is a thicker oil then CLP. LP:http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpage.exe/showproduct?saleitemid=770845

Just remember that if your AR was shot and cleaned at the factory.

hellbound
06-25-08, 07:20
clean the rifle
shoot a few hundred rounds
clean the rifle

call it a day

Littlelebowski
06-25-08, 07:40
Shoot, repeat.

Ron S.
06-25-08, 08:56
Bolt group finger??? If you plan to give someone some advice at least use the correct name of the items. :rolleyes:

the term is "finger wet". The other term is "bolt group".

I'm not THAT dumb. :rolleyes:

Severian
06-25-08, 11:54
blank

Fringe
06-25-08, 13:06
I am about to switch to Mobile One Synthetic motor oil after I exhaust my current supply of exotics.

Dave L.
06-25-08, 13:25
I am about to switch to Mobile One Synthetic motor oil after I exhaust my current supply of exotics.

I use Quaker State Q (4X4) version- works like a charm and every 3,000 miles I have 1/2 Quart left over...I need more ammo:D

Ron S.
06-25-08, 13:46
Not trying to flame you Ron but this is personal opinion bordering on misinformation. Yes you can use CLP with success, but there are many quality commercial lubricants that will do just as good if not better.

I should have clarified...I didn't mean to say Break Free was the ONLY good one, just that there are many bad choices out there.

AMMOTECH
06-25-08, 16:08
the term is "finger wet". The other term is "bolt group".

I'm not THAT dumb. :rolleyes:

OK. I was rushing to get out the door and off to work this morning and maybe was reading to fast.

Finger wet with a good lube. :eek:

CLHC
06-25-08, 16:16
"Mobile One Synthetic," "Quaker State Q," let's me see, I'm using Amsoil Synthetic. Don't know why I went the synthetic motor oil route. Maybe cause it's just sitting here. :p

daniel.aus.tx
07-09-08, 17:25
Never owned a gun myself but with the way the world is going I've been thinking that needs to change so instead of going out a buying something off the shelf and pretending like I know what the hell I am doing I've decided to build myself a weapon.

I've figured that is the best way to learn understand what the weapon is and how to appreciate it. I've signed up for a local gun safety class prior to beginning the build (figured I'd better learn which end is the dangerous end first :D ) and having been doing my homework on-line in the AR-15 realm and I have learned a TON from this site!!!! I never imagined there was so much to take into consideration in terms of the mechanics as well as safety.

Anyway I'm pyched about spec'in out my first weapon and look forward to getting into some great discussions with everyone here.

Pat

MBRMan
07-09-08, 18:30
Welcome! You're starting in the right direction by taking a safety course. Smart. Remember to ask anything, a lot of good knowledge and experience resides here.

MBR

RD62
07-09-08, 18:48
Welcome!

Glad to have ya! Good luck in your coming build!

Word of advice. At least at first... Speak little and listen ALOT! Their are alot of very knowledgeable people here. If you do ask a question, be prepared to maybe get an answer you were not expecting and may not like. It's probably true. Their isn't a lot of BS here, and the vast majority have the best interests of you and your check book in mind, even if it may not seem like it at first. Some answers may be blunt. Put on your thick skin. If you haven't already be sure and read the tacked threads, they are there for a reason.

Other than that, welcome to the world of the M4!!

-RD62

Oscar 319
07-09-08, 19:00
Welome. My advice to you is to buy you a good .22 rifle and pistol and shoot the shit out them just to get the marksmanship basics down. .22's are a blast to shoot and very cheap. $20 will get you 1,000 rounds.

A good rifle is always a Ruger 10/22. Much like the AR, when you are ready, you can customize them to your hearts (and budgets) content.

My favorite .22 pistol is a Browning Buckmark.

Still take the classes, and go out with friends that are shooters. Be safe, but have fun.

Veracity
07-09-08, 22:10
Hey,

As one Noob to another, you have arrived at the epicenter of AR/M4 knowledge and experience.

I swear, I've learned more in a few months on this site than I did in 10 months on another site. These guys know their stuff.

Most of what I thought I knew about ARs was wrong. These guys don't just tell you what's what, they'll give you charts, pictures, links....etc. Real data to back up their posts.

I got my Bushmaster's bolt carrier group properly staked 'cause of these guys. (You'll read about how important that is) I bought a Colt 6920 'cause of these guys. I changed direction on my build project because of these guys.

Got an LMT lower 'cause of these guys.

Have fun and do it while you can!!

pmarcusm
07-10-08, 08:42
Hopefully there will be an Aggie teaching the class, since tea sips don't own guns....just kidding...the aggies can teach you which end of the sheep to hide behind :D

Glad to hear that you want to learn more about the guns and how to use them. We will need at the gunners we can get here in TEXAS...longhorn or aggie!!!

thetallengineer
07-10-08, 13:34
Taking a class such as Dean Caputo's AR Operators Diagnostic course would be beneficial for a newbie and even more experienced users. Not sure if your schedule will permit it, but there is a class being held in Dallas next weekend.

http://m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=13806

Detective_D
07-10-08, 14:35
Welcome to the site...As others have said there is alot of good info here. Soak it up. I have learned so much since finding this site and continue to learn on a daily basis.

oh, and thetallengineer, that post says that payment must have been received by July 2nd to attend. Dont know if that is still the case or not. Just a heads up.

thetallengineer
07-10-08, 14:46
I didn't see that detail. I guess if he or anyone else is very interested they could still contact the host and see if arrangements can be made.

daniel.aus.tx
07-10-08, 19:20
Hopefully there will be an Aggie teaching the class, since tea sips don't own guns....just kidding...the aggies can teach you which end of the sheep to hide behind :D

Glad to hear that you want to learn more about the guns and how to use them. We will need at the gunners we can get here in TEXAS...longhorn or aggie!!!

...adding that avatar I knew I was asking for grief...:D

rockbronco
07-10-08, 20:00
the search is your friend...I spend most of my time here with that. lots of good info here along with several awesome comparison threads Ive run across.

welcome to the addiction!!

csun_00
07-11-08, 07:44
I just bought a DPMS lite 16, I know, I know hold the laughter. I wanted to match a LMT upper to my DPMS lower combined with a Bravo Company BCG. Does this sound like a reliable build without buying a completely new weapon? Also does anyone know how well a LMT upper will match with a DPMS lower?

rob_s
07-11-08, 08:03
That sounds like a great gun. You should have no issues at all with an LMT upper on a DPMS lower. You *may* want to also consider adding an "H" buffer to your DPMS lower.

28_days
07-11-08, 17:11
I just bought a DPMS lite 16, I know, I know hold the laughter. I wanted to match a LMT upper to my DPMS lower combined with a Bravo Company BCG. Does this sound like a reliable build without buying a completely new weapon? Also does anyone know how well a LMT upper will match with a DPMS lower?

Wouldn't it be easier to just sell the rifle and start from scratch?

Beat Trash
07-11-08, 20:01
Welcome.

I'm new to this web site, but have been shooting for almost 30 years.

I'd recommend you get some competent training. Practice what you learn in training. A good way to do so would be to purchase a .22lr firearm.

If and when you get ready to purchase an AR, do some research before you spend the money. There are alot of threads here on the topic. You can learn most of what you need to make an informed decision as to what gun to buy just by searching and reading. By asking a few questions along the way, you'll be able to make an informed decision as to what to buy, and will most likely save money in the long run. If you buy quality the first time, it'll be cheaper in the long run.

PRGGodfather
07-11-08, 20:56
+1 Rob S. -- maybe the H buffer, but see how it runs first. That upper is nails. If the buffer you have does the job, the upper is doing the real work, and that LMT will do it.

Good luck!

PRGGodfather
07-11-08, 21:11
Congratulations!

It's great to live in America! That's one more!

PLEASE consider a membership to the NRA, too. No other organization will help you protect your freedoms as much -- even when it isn't perfect.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend... :)

ccoker
07-11-08, 23:44
I see that you are in Austin (me too)
I have built several ARs and am a very active shooter/hunter/reloader
Can definitely help point you to the best local resources
shoot me a PM and I would be happy to give you my tel # and we can chat

tjcoker
07-11-08, 23:45
I put a LMT 16" M4 upper with Bravo Company BCG on my Stag-15 lower. It works great and has made it through classes, including an LAV class. I did ad an H buffer, but don't know if I needed to or not.

I needed to stick with my Stag OLL due to California laws, but I can't honestly see why I'd have to change. Well, other than getting rid of the moose head on the side.

LH2
07-12-08, 02:20
Any special maint needed as far as the gas tube?

Still shopping for my first AR, but doing my homework.

AMMOTECH
07-12-08, 03:23
Why not run an LMT BCG in the LMT upper? :confused:

Same price.... http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Upper-Receiver-Bolt-Carrier-Parts-s/2.htm

tjcoker
07-12-08, 03:25
I seem to recall reading that Paul's stuff is always well built. His BCG's have the bolt upgrade and the key is properly staked.

austinN4
07-12-08, 08:18
Another big welcome from Austin. As a newb myself, I find this site to be a wealth of great resources.

Number one for me on that resource list are the various knowlegde based threads, FAQs and stickies that you will find at the top of both the AR General Discussion and AR Technical Discussion pages. The members here have put an incredible amount of time and effort into answering what are frequest questions and I recommend reading them all.

Number two on that list is the great search function.

And last, but certainly not least, are the members themselves, without which none of the above would exist.

If I have a question I look first in the KBT, FAQs and stickies, and if I can't find it there I search. About 98% of the time I can easily find my answer. But if you can't find it there, this site has some incredibly knowledgeable and friendly members who will share what they know with you.