PDA

View Full Version : Tools for the trade?

Cwayaustx
11-17-14, 16:44
I did a search and found plenty of info on different tools but didn't find any list of tools needed for ar assembly/repair. I have a lot of mechanic tools but have had to gather a few specifics, here is what I have so far. What else do you guys recommend?

Torx- had to buy the micros for accessories
Roll pin and starter punches
Armorers wrench
Barrel nut crow foot/ torque wrench
Go nogo headspace gauges
Geissele reaction rod
Tipton best gun vice
Dpms upper receiver block
Six inch vice on bench

I'm trying to set up a good work bench in my shop for just guns. Anything else you guys use on a regular basis? I'm only on my second build so still learning.

Ryno12
11-17-14, 17:10
I'd add a mag block & brass/nylon hammer to your list.

Here's another similar thread where you'll find suggestions:

https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=159811

trinydex
11-17-14, 17:10
do you want input for cleaning tools? because that's a whole different batch of stuff altogether.

do you plan on mounting scopes? you might want a level for that.

if you end up mounting accessories based on mount n slot system, you might want to fashion something to hold the accessory backings in while you screw in the allen crews.

you may need a torch for certain locking compounds. rockset and loctite aren't tools, but you'll want to have them on hand.

Cwayaustx
11-17-14, 17:15
I have a brass/nylon and a couple of good dead blow hammers, doesn't the Tipton have a magblock? I just ordered it todAy so if not I'll order one.

Yes definitely cleaning tools, I have a few and have seen some handy ones on youtubes but heck yea. Thanks.

Cwayaustx
11-17-14, 17:20
My wife is a dental hygeniest so I do have plenty of dental picks..

Singlestack Wonder
11-17-14, 17:29
Skip the dpms upper receiver block and get a Geissele Reaction Rod instead. Trust me, you won't be sorry later.

trinydex
11-17-14, 17:40
I have a brass/nylon and a couple of good dead blow hammers, doesn't the Tipton have a magblock? I just ordered it todAy so if not I'll order one.

Yes definitely cleaning tools, I have a few and have seen some handy ones on youtubes but heck yea. Thanks.

you already mentioned dental picks so that covers that.

there are two options for cleaning rods, cable/flexible and fixed/screw together. i used the fixed type and i will explain why.

firstly you want to buy the right type of rod(s), the correct type being the ones that are not proprietary thread or not recessed thread. you want all the rod sections to be connectable without a lot of drama so you can mix and match whatever you grab and then throw a brush on the end. i find that otis and dewey tend to be the best for this. if you don't want a lot of overlapping equipment i would suggest buying these items.

dewey chamber brush. this is required because you need a non rotating rod for your chamber brush. an alternative to this is to chuck up a regular fixed rod in a portable drill and spin it on slow in the chamber. you can also rig fixed rods in certain ways, basically putting handles on them to achieve the same. i have found there to be very little functional difference between aluminum rods and brass rods. fixed rods can be used for pistol cleaning to go back and forth on a pistol barrel with a bore brush. directionality of cleaning a pistol barrel isn't as important as it is for rifles. this means that dewey chamber brush can double as a pistol bore brush.

the next item is an either or. either get a cable type cleaning rod that can pass through the longest barrel you will ever work with (again otis has non proprietary non recessed thread lug to accept a bore brush), or get a rotating rod kit that has enough sections that will pass through the longest barrel you will ever work with (since this will clean rifles it is important that there's a rotating t handle).

bore snake for every rifle caliber you will work with. i do not use patches in rifles. just run the snake. it's faster, reusable, washable and there's no chance your patch will be the wrong size and get stuck. there is a chance your bore snake will rip and get stuck, but that's why you should not use your bore snakes until they fall apart.

patches for pistols. i just buy ones for shotguns and cut them to size for pistols as i need to. i use the glock plastic cleaning rod as a patch rod, so no need for a cleaning patch lug.

you'll need a bolt scraper of some type. either a knife, an actual dedicated bolt scraper tool (although none of them work perfectly like you might wish).

a healthy collection of rags. old clothing is the best because it's lint free. these can also be turned into patches.

nylon brushes (toothbrushes), longer bristles are better. brass brush, tighter bristles are better.

exkc135driver
11-18-14, 13:46

there are two options for cleaning rods, cable/flexible and fixed/screw together. i used the fixed type and i will explain why.

There are 3 cleaning rod options: cable/flexible, fixed/screw together, and one-piece.

One-piece, preferably coated, cleaning rods with rotating handles are (IMO) the best for cleaning rifles. I say cleaning rods (plural) because you will want different rods for 224/5.56 guns and, say, 30/7.62 guns or 338 guns ... the larger rods will be thicker and therefore stiffer. Depending on barrel lengths, you may want more than one rod for a given caliber, as the shorter rods will, again, be stiffer. Dewey and Bore Tech are two well-known brands. The Sinclair catalog is an excellent reference.

A cleaning cable (such as Otis) or segmented pull-through device (the segmented aluminum snake that the German army uses) is fine for field use, but for cleaning at home/in a motel room during training/at Camp Perry/any other place where you will have access to your car, I’d suggest bringing one-piece rods together with a cleaning cradle, patches, your favorite potions, etc.

If you are concerned about accuracy, I’d avoid sectional cleaning rods, whether the steel USGI variety or the aluminum Hoppe’s variety, as they are never ever straight and you don’t want the rod joints nicking the barrel crown. But if you must, the aluminum rods aren’t as bad at the steel rods.

As always, YMMV.