PDA

View Full Version : Kryptik or Sitka Camo?

BIGUGLY
11-18-14, 20:54
Anyone have any experience with either of the above camo systems. I'm looking into waterfowl and deer hunting use.

skijunkie55
11-19-14, 10:28
Maybe print out a picture of each pattern and bring it to where you hunt? See what works best. Every region is different. I know my Kryptek Highlander suit is only relevant to like 3 acres of the 100 acre parcel I hunt on... And even then, depending on the time of year, it may or may not be useful.

Edit* - I've used this a few times when looking at different patterns... http://www.cabelas.com/product/Camo-Pattern-Buyers-Guide/532044.uts

BIGUGLY
11-19-14, 20:27
Thanks Skijunkie, man I hunt and I frequent Cabelas often but damn that's a lot of camo patterns. I think the Sitka waterfowl would work well, plus where we deer hunt its slug only and you do a lot of drives and spend a lot of time in grass and marsh areas.

If anyone else has anything I'm all ears, or eyes I guess in this case.

MBtech
11-20-14, 11:46
I mainly deer and turkey hunt so I use just a couple different patterns, spring turkey and early bow season for deer are the same conditions in my areas I hunt. Everything is still green. As the season moves on trees are bare and everything is more brown, so I mainly use two different camo patterns accordingly. For deer drives you have a driver/drivers and poster/posters, you are intentionally pushing deer and making them aware of your presence be it by sight, smell, or sound to steer in a direction to get the guys posted up a shot. I don't worry so much about camo on a deer drive situation.

Just adapt to your surroundings and you'll be fine.

Deer drives... that's where marksmanship comes more into play as they are usually a moving target that is already alarmed.

Sounds like you'll be fine with Sitka.

J-Dub
11-20-14, 12:27
I've worn both. I'd be much more concerned with the types of materials and the specific build of the garment you're looking at (like which specific pant you need for whatever season you'll be hunting..all are built differently). Pattern is just personal preference and more than likely wont have an impact on anything.

Don't forget about Kuiu...

MBtech
11-20-14, 12:43
I've worn both. I'd be much more concerned with the types of materials and the specific build of the garment you're looking at (like which specific pant you need for whatever season you'll be hunting..all are built differently). Pattern is just personal preference and more than likely wont have an impact on anything.

Don't forget about Kuiu...

Yea, don't buy cheap stuff that rips or tears easily and zippers and buttons that fall off or break.
You'll be doing it all over again.

BIGUGLY
11-21-14, 22:20
I am all about they method of buy once, cry once. My original hunting parka is pushing 13 years of service, its a canvas like material that is heavy not as warm as it should be but the darn thing won't die. I know both will have high quality material that will last years.

mark5pt56
11-22-14, 06:21
I mainly deer and turkey hunt so I use just a couple different patterns, spring turkey and early bow season for deer are the same conditions in my areas I hunt. Everything is still green. As the season moves on trees are bare and everything is more brown, so I mainly use two different camo patterns accordingly. For deer drives you have a driver/drivers and poster/posters, you are intentionally pushing deer and making them aware of your presence be it by sight, smell, or sound to steer in a direction to get the guys posted up a shot. I don't worry so much about camo on a deer drive situation.

Just adapt to your surroundings and you'll be fine.

Deer drives... that's where marksmanship comes more into play as they are usually a moving target that is already alarmed.

Sounds like you'll be fine with Sitka.

Especially if you standing in the bed of you pick up trunk on the road !

MBtech
11-22-14, 08:47
Especially if you standing in the bed of you pick up trunk on the road !

LOL! Good one :) Isn't that illegal? :sarcastic:

tylerw02
11-24-14, 20:38
Camo really doesn't matter much. The animals don't dee color the same. Your best bet is not to move. Movement gives you away to deer. Also learn to play wind and be quiet. The noise clothing makes is more important than pattern.

Hell, most deer are killed by people wearing fluorescent orange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

backspur
11-24-14, 20:46
Pay special attention to the fabric if you want your camo to be useful for both deer/duck hunting. Most waterfowl camo I have is too loud for deer hunting.

tylerw02
11-24-14, 20:47
Also, make sure to use detergent without uv brightened. It will make your clothing glow.

BIGUGLY
11-24-14, 21:11
Thanks for the advice, not new to the hunting world and a lot of blaze orange is worn for deer due to only having a shotgun slug season due to not having enough time for bow season. I totally understand the need for no movement and playing the wind. Just trying to find out if the camo patterns of Kyptek or Sitka or even Berettas optifade are worth it. And no shooting out of the truck were way north of I80 here so that's reserved for the southern part of the state.

tylerw02
11-24-14, 21:14
I've been known to bow hunt in jeans and tee ;)

If you only gun hunt, just buy quality material and good designed stuff.

Team Kabob
04-10-15, 19:17
They are both good from Alaska to the west. Running Kuiu right now

-)---> ¥
Got him!