PDA

View Full Version : Trijicon HD Night Sights on Glock 22 Review

oodalooper
11-19-14, 01:40
Trijicon HD Night Sights

Recently it became necessary to replace my aging Trijicon night sights. I looked and looked for the perfect solution. I couldn't decide between fiber optic front sights and blacked out rear sights from someone such as 10-8. I really liked the VTAC fiber and tritium sights, however wasn't willing to pay for them. I have XS Big Dot 24/7 sights on another Glock but didn't care for them enough to purchase a second pair.

I had seen HD night sights online, but it wasn't until I picked up a pair that I began to truly appreciate how amazing they were. I found them at a local shop for about $140. The suggested retail is $157

Here is what Trijicon says about their product...

With the challenges of law enforcement and military in mind, these sights have a yellowor orange photoluminescent paint outline and tall blade on the front sight to increasevisibility and quicken sight acquisition. Additionally, the front surface is steeply hookedto assist in emergency one-handed slide operation.

They are offered in two different colors. I looked at both the orange and green in the store. I picked up the orange for two reasons. I run optics on my rifle, so I wanted to consistently hunt for that red/orange side of the spectrum for a point of aim. The second was that I felt that the orange would contrast better against most backgrounds. Initially I was indifferent as far as just looking at them side by side and thinking one was any better than the other. However, several of my fellow gunslingers purchased HD sights, but they opted for green. Having seen theirs, green has really grown on me. Maybe I just have a nasty case of the green envy?

I really like several things about these sights. The front sight is very easy to rapidly pick up and place on target. This is very subjective, obviously, but comparative to what I had used previously the Glock factory sights, standard Trijicon night sighs, and the XS Big Dot, they are the best I've used. I also really like that the rear sights aren't distracting. The rear sight picture is a U shaped hole. The tritium lamps aren't at all distracting during the day. At night they are very helpful. And lastly, I really appreciate the rear sight has a very nice ledge built in to assist in one hand malfunction clearances.

The luminescent paint on the front sight glows for several minutes if you go from a lit to an unlit environment. In very low light situations the tritium picks up where the paint leaves off. I'm still able to obtain a sight picture. While using the weapon mounted light against a light colored wall you can see how you can still get a sight picture with the outlines of the sight.

If I had to pick one thing I dislike about the sights is that there is white lettering on top of the front sight post. I think its slightly distracting. I would be more irritated about it if it weren't for the fact that after only about a month of use, its almost rubbed all the way off. Additionally, I didn't know about the warranty difference between the green and orange at the time.

The tritium lamp is warranted to glow for five (5) years for orange night sights, twelve (12) years in green and yellow night sights from date of original manufacture.

Getting a good photograph of a sight picture is super frustrating and entirely more difficult that I thought it would be.

Overall, these are an outstanding. I have several other pistols I am in the process of switching over to these sights. I'm especially excited to find a pair for my G42. Have I mentioned I despise Glock factory sights?!? It is recommended that a Glock armorer install these sights, or any sights really for that matter. You do need a special tool for the front sight as the nut is extremly small. Additionally, a rear sight tool is pretty essential. Maryland Gunworks makes a fantastic rear sight tool and its pretty reasonable.

If you are in the market for new high visibility sights that work well in virtually all lighting conditions then purchase these sights.

Here are a few more photographs of my G22.

The photographs didn't transfer over from my website, the article in its entirety can be viewed at www.oodalooper.blogspot.com

Dennis
11-19-14, 02:11
These are exceptional sights in all regards except for concealed carry. At least for me the reverse ledge rear sight digs into my side and cover garments. A more even ledge would still allow one handed clearance and not be as obtrusive.

Dennis.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

El Cid
11-19-14, 08:30
I consider these to be the best combat sights available and have several friends who are LEO's/competitive shooters who share that opinion. My times at a local steel match have improved significantly since I started using them. My goal is to get them on all my pistols eventually. IMO they hit a home run - the front color, the photoluminescent treatment, the coating. The rears having no outline around the tritium, the serrations, the U notch, the ability to rack the slide.

How is the white lettering distracting? It's not visible at all from behind the gun.

I don't know what they are doing differently, but the coating on the front sight cleans much more easily than any night sights I've encountered. Even with 45ACP which will dirty up a front sight after only a few rounds, the HD sight wipes clean very easily.

Reference your question about needing an armorer to change the sights - not at all. I went to Brownells and picked up the MGW rear sight tool (not the straight side one - the angled one), and the HIVIZ front sight tool. Use some blue Loctite on the front and it's an upgrade that takes less than 5 minutes.

Nightstalker865
11-19-14, 09:42
I'm currently running them on my EDC as well as primary training gun. I only wish the front sight were a tad bit narrower. Other than that, they are perfect for my needs.

CanineCombatives
11-19-14, 10:31
The best in the business, the only thing I would like to see is a little less aggressive front edge on the rears, you can work the slide
easily with other rear sights that have a much lower smoother profile you don't need that high sharp edge, that's my only beef.

Everything I have is wearing them except pistols they aren't available for.

oodalooper
11-19-14, 11:03
Thanks for the replies and feedback. I should have pointed out I wear this pistol at work and in competitive shooting. I don't conceal carry this pistol so I didn't think about how it would feel carried in that manner. I guess I'll find out quickly when I throw them on my G42.

bltzkrg
11-19-14, 13:43
I have a set on my VP9. I bought the yellow/green because they were available at the right price, vs orange being out of stock or way too expensive. I found out later that the orange outsells the green 3/1. I tend to lose the front site if I'm in the dark and my target is back lit, something I don't think would happen with the orange. Otherwise, these sights are amazing...a huge improvement over stock three dots.

okie john
11-19-14, 17:01
Trijicon HD sights are superb. My only beef with them is that they only come in one standard height, which is a right proper drag if your pistol doesn't hit where it should for elevation. (I know that custom-height HD front sights exist, but they're expensive and hard to find.) I'd even go so far as to say that if a specific pistol won't zero for elevation with HDs--Glock, I'm looking at you--then you should swap the pistol, not the sights.

Okie John

HCM
11-19-14, 19:04
Trijicon HD sights are superb. My only beef with them is that they only come in one standard height, which is a right proper drag if your pistol doesn't hit where it should for elevation. (I know that custom-height HD front sights exist, but they're expensive and hard to find.) I'd even go so far as to say that if a specific pistol won't zero for elevation with HDs--Glock, I'm looking at you--then you should swap the pistol, not the sights.

Okie John

I recently learned trijicon has added different height HD front sights, but only for the 9mm / 40 Glocks.

wrhk33
11-20-14, 23:19
I think the HD sights are all green tritium. The front comes with either yellow or orange ring around the tritium. When they talk of different tritium life spans they are talking about the colored tritium inserts in their other lines of sights.

GTF425
11-20-14, 23:26
I think the HD sights are all green tritium. The front comes with either yellow or orange ring around the tritium. When they talk of different tritium life spans they are talking about the colored tritium inserts in their other lines of sights.

Correct, they're all green tritium. The only difference is the color of the luminescent paint on the front sight.

Swamprattler
11-21-14, 05:11
I was starting to think I was the only one who was bothered by the rear sight's backward angle. Now I see other's have issues with it also. The front sight is about perfect for me for carry. I wish Trijicon would redesign the rear sight so it was more like the Heinie rear sight.

Sensei
11-21-14, 18:41
The best in the business, the only thing I would like to see is a little less aggressive front edge on the rears, you can work the slide
easily with other rear sights that have a much lower smoother profile you don't need that high sharp edge, that's my only beef.

Everything I have is wearing them except pistols they aren't available for.

I was starting to think I was the only one who was bothered by the rear sight's backward angle. Now I see other's have issues with it also. The front sight is about perfect for me for carry. I wish Trijicon would redesign the rear sight so it was more like the Heinie rear sight.

Those of you who do not like the Trijicon rears should take a look at the Ameriglo iDot line. They use the same red or yellow illuminescent front sight (the lamps are installed by Trijicon) with the option of a low(er) profile rear. Most importantly, the fronts can be ordered separately or as a set in the iDot Pro line. I've found the AmeriGlo fronts to equal the Trijicon in quality which makes sense due to the two company's partnership.

CanineCombatives
11-21-14, 19:59
I've had pretty decent results with ameriglo over the years, if the HD's weren't so superior I'd still be running them.
The 2 dot system doesn't work as well for me in darkness so I gave the pro i-dots away, ditto the hackathorns or
any of the tritium front solid rears, plus the pro i-dot rear is pretty much the same size as the HD rear just a little
less aggressive front edge.
Also, I had to sharpie the rear dot on the pro's to tone it down compared to the front where for whatever reason
the HD's just seem to blend perfectly in the dark, meaning the two rear lamps never overpower the front lamp.

danasaki
11-22-14, 03:43
Excellent review, oodalooper. Now I'm going to have to go shopping for a new Glock to put these on. :D

PLCedeno
11-22-14, 07:20
I've had pretty decent results with ameriglo over the years, if the HD's weren't so superior I'd still be running them.
The 2 dot system doesn't work as well for me in darkness so I gave the pro i-dots away, ditto the hackathorns or
any of the tritium front solid rears, plus the pro i-dot rear is pretty much the same size as the HD rear just a little
less aggressive front edge.
Also, I had to sharpie the rear dot on the pro's to tone it down compared to the front where for whatever reason
the HD's just seem to blend perfectly in the dark, meaning the two rear lamps never overpower the front lamp.

Your last sentence is spot on.

El Cid
11-22-14, 08:50
Your last sentence is spot on.

I still Sharpie the rears of my HD's.