PDA

View Full Version : Artists/Bands Who Made Great Albums Except One Really Horrible One

Doc Safari
11-19-14, 15:48
(And I guess some great bands could have made more than one horrible album)

My list:

1. The Beatles Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band

Without all the hoopla about the Summer of Love and the whole Sixties hippie thing I think a lot of people who think this is one of the best rock albums of all time would see the truth and recognize it is not even very good. The "concept" of Sgt. Pepper's band exists for exactly two songs and then the reprise at the end. Although people have rightly praised "A Day In the Life" as an innovative surprise ending to the album, most of the other songs are simply mundane, not very original, and not very interesting. Lennon stole the lyrics for "Mr. Kite" from a circus poster, for Pete's sake. Rubber Soul, Revolver, and even Abbey Road----or any other Beatles album for that matter--have more memorable and likeable songs than Pepper.

2. Led Zeppelin In Through the Out Door

Where's Jimmy Page? It doesn't even sound like Zeppelin. Where is the hard rock guitar we've come to know and love? Instead we are treated to synthesizers and strings as the main instruments. Some people consider Presence to be Zeppelin's "weak" album. I wonder how many reviewers changed their minds after this one came out? I'm glad Zeppelin broke up after this album.

3. Creedence Clearwater Revival Mardi Gras

Why did they even bother? A group dominated by fantastic songs written by John Fogerty suddenly became a "democracy" and the other band members insisted on their crappy tunes being put on a record. To be avoided like Ebola.

4. The Rolling Stones Their Satanic Majesties Request

A hard rock/R&B/garage rock band tries to copy one of the other horrible albums on my list (Sgt Pepper). Nuff Said.

Moose-Knuckle
11-19-14, 16:14
Metallica Saint Anger

Alex V
11-19-14, 17:25
Dude... Coda was way worse than In Through The Out Door.

How could anyone say Presence sucked? Achilles Last Stant is epic!

I can agree with CCR and Mardi Gras

Doc Safari
11-19-14, 17:29
Dude... Coda was way worse than In Through The Out Door.

Well...okay, but that was a "Rarities" album and doesn't really count like a regular release. I will say that I'm pissed to this day that "Hey Hey What Can I Do?" wasn't included on Coda unless you bought the boxed set. I know one guy who bought the boxed set to get that one song.

How could anyone say Presence sucked? Achilles Last Stant is epic!

Personally, I always liked Presence. When I was growing up it sort of had the reputation of being "Zep's worst record" when it came out. I think time has been kinder to it.