PDA

View Full Version : Do I want a magnifer behind my red dot.

Skar
11-19-14, 19:01
I have a eoteck exps2 sitting on top of my colt le6920
? Thinking of a g33 or vortex but not sure . Range gun
Up to 200 meters a few times a year and HD ( or wtshtf)
So do I really want a magnifer ? Lot of money and adds
Weight .

Voodoo_Man
11-19-14, 19:22
Sell the eotech buy a 1-4x.

Skar
11-19-14, 19:43
Yes I was think that but I would have to remove front sight .
Yes it would bug me .

gun71530
11-19-14, 19:44
Yes I was think that but I would have to remove front sight .
Yes it would bug me .

You wouldn't have remove anything. You will barely notice the fsb.

El Cid
11-19-14, 19:51
You wouldn't have remove anything. You will barely notice the fsb.

Exactly. On 6x the front sight and x300 on my rifle might as well be invisible.

Inkslinger
11-19-14, 20:34
Do you want a magnifier? Yes. Do you need one? "200 meters a few times a year and HD". No, you don't need one.

swinokur
11-20-14, 04:21
The EXPS series and the G33 can be mounted for lower third co witness. No need to remove anything.

mig1nc
11-20-14, 05:40
I'm not a good shot and I shoot 200 yards with an Aimpoint PRO all the time. The Eotech would be even better due to the 1MOA center dot. I don't really see the point of a magnifier for the weight penalty you'd get unless you are pushing out beyond that.

That being said my other build has a 1-4x and it is easier.

I guess if I only had one upper I would run a 1-4x or 1-6x if I expected it to do everything. It will be a much lighter solution than an Eotech plus magnifier.

Hmac
11-20-14, 05:44
A magnifier is a handy thing to have. It's quickly detachable, so easily movable from rifle to rifle. I use mine intermittently on 4 different ARs.

markm
11-20-14, 08:11
I'm not a good shot and I shoot 200 yards with an Aimpoint PRO all the time. The Eotech would be even better due to the 1MOA center dot. I don't really see the point of a magnifier for the weight penalty you'd get unless you are pushing out beyond that.

THIS.

200 yards just means you shoot a little slower.... or maybe go to kneeling to get a little more stability. Unless the target is a 4" popper, you shouldn't need magnification.

Hmac
11-20-14, 08:27
Unless the target is a 4" popper, you shouldn't need magnification.

Would be true if everybody's eyesight was the same, and we didn't age.

Anyway, no downside to using a magnifier, and it adds a little more flexibility than a 1-4x IMHO. It does add weight, but the weight is back toward the stock decreasing the lever arm, so less of an issue...doesn't really affect mounting the rifle.

markm
11-20-14, 08:35
Would be true if everybody's eyesight was the same, and we didn't age.

Yeah... my clarity sucks at distance... so IDing a target isn't easy for me... but target shooting isn't a problem inside of 200.

Really depends on how precise he need his hits to be.

skydivr
11-20-14, 09:40
I have this combo. I like it. To each his own.

SpeedRacer
11-20-14, 10:17
Shooting out to 200+ yds with a red dot is not hard. A magnifier will likely let you do it easier and more accurately. The only downside to a magnifier is weight and cost. Whether it's worth it or not is up to you and your priorities.

A variable 1-4/5/6x optic is an option, but after spending some time with one (and a really good one at that) I'm not sure it's a better option than a magnifier. You sacrifice a lot of speed and viewing angle vs an Eotech at 1x, but gain better clarity under magnification and save a little bit of weight. I'm finding the first part is a much higher priority for me and plan on picking up an Eo HHS-II package during Black Friday sales to really compare the two options.

Hmac
11-20-14, 10:25
A variable 1-4/5/6x optic is an option, but after spending some time with one (and a really good one at that) I'm not sure it's a better option than a magnifier. You sacrifice a lot of speed and viewing angle vs an Eotech at 1x, but gain better clarity under magnification and save a little bit of weight. I'm finding the first part is a much higher priority for me and plan on picking up an Eo HHS-II package during Black Friday sales to really compare the two options.

I used a magnifier with an Eotech RDS in a course for the first time last year. I found it to be very convenient and gave me far more consistent hits from distances 50 yards and out. Closer than that I just flipped it to the side and shot unmagnified, but it was a great option in that setting. The flip-to-side aspect made it more convenient for me than a 1-4x. The fact that it's simply movable from rifle to rifle and requires no zeroing or preparation really makes it a good option if you can afford the cost.

WickedWillis
11-20-14, 10:42
I have been toying with this idea as well. I had issues focusing on the dot on my aimpoint pro when I was sighting it in at just 50 yards, and normally my eyesight is great. I just really struggled to focus my eye on the dot and target, which resulted in groups larger than I would have liked. A shitty rest was also partly to blame. Keep in mind, I am self taught when it comes to RDS and very inexperienced, but I immediately saw where a magnifier would be beneficial when sighting in a rifle. Especially if you are alone like I was.

Skar
11-20-14, 17:42
Well I already have the exps2 . So I got g33 after read your post .
thanks

trinydex
11-21-14, 14:19
A magnifier is a handy thing to have. It's quickly detachable, so easily movable from rifle to rifle. I use mine intermittently on 4 different ARs.

agree. if it is quick detach there is nothing wrong with more magnification. magnification makes accuracy easier. only accurate shooting is relevant.

Hmac
11-21-14, 14:27
I had issues focusing on the dot on my aimpoint pro when I was sighting it in at just 50 yards, and normally my eyesight is great. I just really struggled to focus my eye on the dot and target, which resulted in groups larger than I would have liked.

Because the dot is collimated in an RDS, Eotech or Aimpoint, the dot itself is projected in the same plane as the target. Therefore if you are focused on the target then you are focused on the dot. They're in the same plane. You can't focus on them individually.

Skar
11-27-14, 19:57
The g33 landed yesterday. In back yard at night using surfire on rifle
It worked fine . Range next. Wow i have as much cash in the optic as I do the colt le6920

Like you all said adds weight . But it comes off easy .

WickedWillis
12-01-14, 13:57
Because the dot is collimated in an RDS, Eotech or Aimpoint, the dot itself is projected in the same plane as the target. Therefore if you are focused on the target then you are focused on the dot. They're in the same plane. You can't focus on them individually.

Now I feel like an idiot, but I appreciate that feedback.

daddyusmaximus
12-01-14, 14:56
Hope you like the magnifier. I absolutely loved the fast target acquisition speed of my old EOTech I used in Iraq. I gave it to my son and it lives on his AR now so I use an Aimpoint. (just as good) Been thinking of a magnifier as I get older and have weaker eyes. I like a scope on some rifles, but I'll never give up my red dot for close in home defense.

equilibrium
12-05-14, 17:24
A magnifier is not necessary but it will help you identify a target at a faster rate. I am personally used to the ACOG because it is what I shot while I was active, but own an Aimpoint Comp M2 right now so this is my experience with a magnifier. It allows me to accomplish a faster target acquisition while performing cqb drills at 25yards. That may be entirely due to me being used to the 4x ACOG(which we did cqb drills at 25 yards with) but it find that it does help. Some may consider it impossible since a red dot already has very fast target acquisition but I find that it helps. Also, it will help you zero your red dot better since it will make it easier to see the POI after the shot. There are many reasons to own a magnifier and I for one am all about it.

waveslayer
12-05-14, 17:25
It's like buying a car... ever complain that it has too much horsepower? Magnifiers are great

equilibrium
12-05-14, 17:47
It's like buying a car... ever complain that it has too much horsepower? Magnifiers are great

Perfectly said!! Unless you're counting ounces like a lightweight backpacker than there isn't a downside to a magnifier.

TehLlama
12-05-14, 18:05

Anymore it's a question about usability - modern muscle cars can turn the rear meats into molten asphalt decoration and smoke just as easily as hooking up and going; throwing more magnification at a 5.56 setup doesn't always create more accuracy potential for the shooter, especially if it's at the expense of field of view and reticle usability in FFP flavor. For my part, 6x is as much zoom as I can really make use of on a high end match 5.56 carbine unless I'm shooting from supported prone or a bench, anything beyond that is more useful for spotting and object identification at distance than actually putting rounds on stuff, so on my really dollars>logic 16" Recce build I still stopped at a 1-6x variable optic (Mk6), and still feel like it's a bit of a compromise at both ends (the illumination feels necessary in most conditions at 1-1.5x zoom; even the CMR-W reticle that I adore feels a touch oversized at greater than 5x made worse by the field of view that begins to feel a touch restrictive in terms of low-light transmission and eyebox above 4x - don't mistake this for disliking the optic, but it's really at the performance envelope for a durable, usable, and affordable optic in the 1lb <12" long class of optic). On my lightweight DD V5, where weight and performance at 1x is a higher priority, my 1-4x Trijicon TR24RT is exactly what I want - it's the closest thing to aimpoint quick at 1x I've ever encountered, while still being a really usable optic to run quickly at 4x out to 300yd. The illuminated triangle starts to suck a bit once POI is below the triangle because of how that optic is dual illuminated, which makes it less than ideal for 300-500m use, but I'll make that tradeoff for more usable performance at 1x.

For my part, I am seriously looking at picking up a cheap magnifier and QD setup just so I can have the option to wring out some accuracy out of carbines I've already set aside as 'add Aimpoint Micro and be done' - these being my wife's 14.5" pinned setups, and my Mk18. I know there's more accuracy potential than my abilities and 4MOA red dots can deliver, but as it stands it wouldn't be a definite leave it on type solution, just because I happen to have phenomenal eyesight and a already have a TR24RT on LT mount to move over should I decide I want magnification on those setups if I'm moving beyond 200yd.

Skar
12-05-14, 19:15
Thanks guys all good info .polite professional experience responses

equilibrium
12-05-14, 19:27
Thanks guys all good info .polite professional experience responses

I have been browsing this forum for quite sometime before deciding to join and in my browsing experience that is everything this forum is about. There is going to be some professional or hobbyist disagreements but it is all in good fun. B est way to learn what works for you is to find out what works for you by trial and error. We are all different so visit each local gun show you have and get a feel for everything to judge for yourself.

nate89
12-05-14, 19:51
I have a Vortex 1-4 on my rifle right now, and I really like it. I will admit it isn't as fast as an Aimpoint or EoTech up close, but when you are wanting to shoot at distance, I think it beats the magnifier hands down. In my opinion, I think the RDS is going to be the best optic for a primary rifle, and an upper built more as a long range gun with the variable low powered scope mounted could be available if you were going to shoot out farther.

equilibrium
12-06-14, 08:01
I have a Vortex 1-4 on my rifle right now, and I really like it. I will admit it isn't as fast as an Aimpoint or EoTech up close, but when you are wanting to shoot at distance, I think it beats the magnifier hands down. In my opinion, I think the RDS is going to be the best optic for a primary rifle, and an upper built more as a long range gun with the variable low powered scope mounted could be available if you were going to shoot out farther.

I agree. RDS can be effective within 200 yards consistently without holdover or much bullet drop(if you have the proper zero).

themonk
12-06-14, 10:01
I have a Vortex 1-4 and love it but there is a always on weight penalty. I run a T1 with an aimpoint magnifier on the aimpoint twist mount - I love this combo. I keep the magnifier on my belt or in my bag and put it on when I need it. I can use the magnifier between multiple guns, all I need is the bottom part of the twist mount that weighs about an ounce and I get the added benefit of using the magnifier as a monocular when not on a rifle.

Hmac
12-06-14, 10:10
I agree. RDS can be effective within 200 yards consistently without holdover or much bullet drop(if you have the proper zero).

And if you have eyesight appropriate to that task.

HardToHandle
12-06-14, 13:26
And if you have eyesight appropriate to that task.

Thank you - age is a bitch. So are bad genes, injury or disease.

I have rifles with dedicated magnifying optics and Red Dots. Personal experience follows...

A 3x magnifier adds a valuable option to existing RDS - especially beyond 200 yards in my case. It also helps hammer targets at the 75-100 yard ranges and speeds up my target acquisition in additional to accuracy. The only appreciable downside it that the magnifier isn't always on the rifle for me, but generally close at hand, with a weight penalty less than have a dedicated magnifying optic.

Can I still shoot to 200yds with a RDS. Yes - but with no more speed . less accuracy and - critically - less confidence. YMMV.

As TehLlama mentioned, it is worthwhile to try out - no magic bullet, but there is value in a serious T&E for your situation.

equilibrium
12-06-14, 14:01
Eyesight is definitely important and the main reason I run a magnifier. I should have added that the effective range of 200 with a RDS is better magnified. I have contacts that correct my vision but 200 yards is still difficult to accomplish unmagnified.

chairforce26
12-07-14, 20:10
I've got an EOTech 557 with the bullet drop, if I could do it over again, I would have got the EXPS3-0 with the standard EOTech reticle. For one, it is a heavy set-up, second, most of the magnifiers out there are only 3x. Third, if you're getting the real deal EOTech or Aimpoint magnifiers they'll cost as much as or more in most cases than the friggen optic you're mounting it behind. Which is something I never quite understood since it's just an aluminum tube and two lenses with no electronic components in it, no reticle and they are not variable zoom either. So we're talking $550 for the EOTech magnifier and I think $600 for the Aimpoint, and that one is worse because you have to pay another $100 or so for a mount. Fourth, most of these magnifiers are going on .223 guns, and as I said most of the magnifiers out there are 3x, it just doesn't give you that much over the 1x on the sight without the magnifier. In my opinion they just aren't all that useful when you factor in cost-weight. It's hard for me to think of anything firearms related that costs so much and gives you so little than an EOTech or Aimpoint magnifier. Other people might feel differently but if you are going to get a magnifier get it as a combo with the EOTech sight, or just get a cheap one from Vortex or Primary Arms.