PDA

View Full Version : .22 Conversion Kits

Tango2249
06-25-08, 03:21
I'm looking to pick up a .22 cal conversion kit for my M4. Can anyone recommend what company to go with? I found a kit manufactured by Ciener...would this be the one to go with?

BushmasterSOH
06-25-08, 04:23
Check out Grant post here:
https://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=15247

I had the opportunity to check it out last week. SWEET!
That was my first experience with a .22 on an AR frame, let alone that was silenced. I had no idea that the bolt would be loudest thing on the gun.

I WANT ONE!

zxd9
06-25-08, 10:25
I've had the Ciener kit since Father's Day and am quite pleased with it. With the right ammo and iron sights I can occassionally shoot .25" groups at 25yds. Not every time, but I have done it.

Evan_O
06-25-08, 10:50
Tango-
I'm in the same boat as you my friend. I can't decide which to go with. You can get a complete upper from Grant (gandrtactical), there is also the Tactical Solution web page, and Spikes Tactical. As to which is better... I'm not sure. I've read both pro's and con's. If you figure it out let me know ;)

Avenger29
06-25-08, 15:29
I'm looking at a Ciener myself...not thrilled about them, but they are the cheapest option for a .22 conversion...you could go with a dedicated upper, or the Tacsol system, but the uppers are twice as expensive as a Ciener, and the tacsol system is going to be even more expensive...

I'm probably going to pick up a Ciener come later this year...

Tango2249
06-25-08, 20:38
Thanks for all of the info and opinions guys. I think I am going to order a Ciener this week.

Avenger29
06-25-08, 21:16
Don't forget the Black Dog Machine mags...if you do upgrade to a dedicated upper later, they can still be used...

RD62
06-25-08, 21:28
I ordered a Ciener kit from Brownell's at Christmas, after something like three months of them being back ordered, and them still being unable to tell me when they might receive more in I canceled my order. Are there any out there now? I've also heard they can take a little tinkering to get to run.

-RD62

Sabre675
06-25-08, 21:36
I can't find a ciener for my AR or a Advantage Arms for my Glock anywhere. I had placed an order for an advantage arms earlier and the company cancelled my order because there was no end in sight. This was supposed to be my summer of cheap training. Guess not.

Jaeger
06-25-08, 21:50
I have a Ciener kit with some Black Dog mags and am very happy with it. It is NOT a tack driver. For that you should get a dedicated upper. For close range (25yd) CQB practice it's tough to beat. Especially with the cost of ammo.

Tango2249
06-25-08, 23:44
I can't find a ciener for my AR or a Advantage Arms for my Glock anywhere. I had placed an order for an advantage arms earlier and the company cancelled my order because there was no end in sight. This was supposed to be my summer of cheap training. Guess not.

They have an order form for immediate delivery (within 2 days of receiving your order). It doesn't say if they have the kits in stock. Have you tried placing an order on the Ciener website? I tried calling them and got a really arogant message on their machine...

Avenger29
06-25-08, 23:51
The guy that runs Ciener, John Arthur Ciener, is a bit of an asshole.

Which is one of the reasons I don't really want to buy a Ciener conversion kit...

K9-Bob
06-26-08, 02:56
The guy that runs Ciener, John Arthur Ciener, is a bit of an asshole.

Which is one of the reasons I don't really want to buy a Ciener conversion kit...

I noticed that Ciener is charging a 5% energy surcharge. What a scam. At Knob Creek he wanted $1.00 for his business card.:eek:

Sabre675
06-26-08, 05:49
They have an order form for immediate delivery (within 2 days of receiving your order). It doesn't say if they have the kits in stock. Have you tried placing an order on the Ciener website? I tried calling them and got a really arogant message on their machine...

Have not tried it. Tempting with the cost of ammo. Only problem is, you get ass raped to get one of the reserved models. In my case I would want the M16 version for my duty rifle and it is $269 +$20 shipping+ another additional 5% energy/ butt pirate fee! I really want an Advantage kit. If they had a reserve program I'd pay the xtra for it!

Always behind the curve it seems:rolleyes:

crossgun
06-26-08, 07:32
I own both the Spikes and the Tactical Solutions .22 cal. conversions. Both run fine however I find the Spikes a little more temperamental to ammo than the Tactical Solutions.

I like the Tactical Solutions upper a little more. I believe as it tends to be more accurate and is lighter overall. Mine is the Aluminum barrel with steel liner. The BCG on the "Tactical" is finished and machined much cleaner than the Spikes.

Black Dog mags are good to go.

Shooting the .22 AR upper is not only cheap but also really fun. I think they are great training tools as well. If you really want to improve your shooting on the move this is the way to train.

My Spikes is set up just like my out the door rifle with a red dot while the Tactical Solutions is a little sportier and is toped off with a 1x4. Built it for the kids but I just can’t seem to let go it.

Contact Grant at G&R, I believe he has everything your looking for in stock

Tango2249
06-26-08, 17:15
I noticed that Ciener is charging a 5% energy surcharge. What a scam. At Knob Creek he wanted $1.00 for his business card.:eek:

Anything to make money...

Jaeger
06-26-08, 21:55
What the hell is an energy surcharge?

I bought my kit used, years ago from a local shop. I can't speak for Ciener's personality or business acumen but his conversion kit does work well.