PDA

View Full Version : FSU shooting

Eurodriver
11-20-14, 13:00
just heard someone on the radio say the shooter can't be blamed until we get more info. He is black and he might have been lashing out against a system that oppresses him.

Sigh....At least it will be out of the news spotlight by tomorrow.

skijunkie55
11-20-14, 13:08
Why is it always the "alleged" or "suspected" shooter??

The guys was confronted by police with the gun in his hand, didn't listen to their demand to lay down his gun, and he was killed. It shouldn't take 18 hours for them to come out and say "yep, charlie brown here was the shooter." Do they shave off or acid burn their fingerprints or something? Seems odd that it takes so long to ID a shooter.

nimdabew
11-20-14, 13:11

The guys was confronted by police with the gun in his hand, didn't listen to their demand to lay down his gun, and he was killed. It shouldn't take 18 hours for them to come out and say "yep, charlie brown here was the shooter." Do they shave off or acid burn their fingerprints or something? Seems odd that it takes so long to ID a shooter.

Innocent until proven guilty.

wildcard600
11-20-14, 13:40
How did this happen ? Was it not a "gun free zone" ?

Crime should be banned.

Sam
11-20-14, 13:41
He was a gentle soul, da man did him wrong.

Kain
11-20-14, 13:42
just heard someone on the radio say the shooter can't be blamed until we get more info. He is black and he might have been lashing out against a system that oppresses him.

Can't blame the shooter? But the gun is fair game? Christ.

Don Robison
11-20-14, 13:47
I just heard on the radio on my way home from an algebra class that the shooter was an FSU graduate and lawyer. Kinda blows their theory of the man keeping him down.

HKGuns
11-20-14, 13:53
I'm betting he was on the football team.

Don Robison
11-20-14, 13:58
Myron May the shooter...............

http://heavy.com/news/2014/11/myron-may-fsu-shooter-lawyer-photos-pictures-facebook-florida-state-shooting/

Ick
11-20-14, 14:15

It is a matter of the journalistic tradition where the media stops short of "convicting" someone in reporting. It has mostly to do with avoiding "media prejudice" and fixing the mind of the public on an outcome as opposed to "being fair" before the facts are in. It doesn't have anything to do with "guilty until proven innocent." Some call this a part of journalistic ethics. Of course opinion journalism is a different ball of wax.

Furthermore, it has the handy side-benefit of avoiding libel. If you report over and over to hundreds of thousands of readers "Jack is guilty" and then it turns out it is provable that he was out cheating on his wife in Amsterdam when she was killed... well, you know.

ColtSeavers
11-20-14, 14:37
Nvm, poor taste.

Big A
11-20-14, 14:37
What did Jameis do now?

skijunkie55
11-20-14, 14:40
It is a matter of the journalistic tradition where the media stops short of "convicting" someone in reporting. It has mostly to do with avoiding "media prejudice" and fixing the mind of the public on an outcome as opposed to "being fair" before the facts are in. It doesn't have anything to do with "guilty until proven innocent." Some call this a part of journalistic ethics. Of course opinion journalism is a different ball of wax.

Furthermore, it has the handy side-benefit of avoiding libel. If you report over and over to hundreds of thousands of readers "Jack is guilty" and then it turns out it is provable that he was out cheating on his wife in Amsterdam when she was killed... well, you know.

So the media narratives revolving around "high-profile" shootings that make the front page for weeks on end always make me scratch my head.

Zimmerman / Wilson: "you shot an un-armed child, you're a murderer."
James Holmes / fill in the blank: "these are troubled young men who are going through rough times. they aren't guilty though..." I mean hell, it's been almost 2 and half years since Aurora and this nut job still hasn't been strapped to the chair or convicted? None if this is probably related but still, call the oxygen thief what he is, a murderer, and get on with it...

glocktogo
11-20-14, 14:47

The person saying that should be kicked in the groin until sterile. :rolleyes:

Straight Shooter
11-20-14, 15:37
Itll be ANOTHER "my baby dindu nuttin".

Moose-Knuckle
11-20-14, 19:37
Myron May the shooter...............

http://heavy.com/news/2014/11/myron-may-fsu-shooter-lawyer-photos-pictures-facebook-florida-state-shooting/

Myron May, a lawyer who attended Florida State University, has been identified as the gunman who opened fire on the morning of November 20 in the Strozier Library on the FSU campus. He was in town visiting Abigail Taunton, founder of the Taunton Family Children's Home. His Facebook page is full of religious messages and indications he believed the government was targeting him. Click through to see photos of May and screenshots of his Facebook posts.

Yeah that is cool and all but if his beef was with the Federal governmment then why target FSU students?

Are the victims white??????

docsherm
11-20-14, 20:39

I believe they were in a library, so what do you think?..........:jester:

Moose-Knuckle
11-20-14, 20:40
I believe they were in a library, so what do you think?..........:jester:

Asian?!

:jester:

docsherm
11-20-14, 20:42
Asian?!

:jester:

Touché....... LOL

AKDoug
11-21-14, 00:32
Just glad he used a .380...

jpmuscle
11-21-14, 00:48
Itll be ANOTHER "my baby dindu nuttin".
Bah, ain't nobody got time for that.

Eurodriver
11-21-14, 09:36
Reports are coming out that this was a true nutcase. Not the evil guy who pretends to be a nutcase (PA cop killer), but a true nutcase. Kept complaining of cameras being installed in his home, and hearing voices through the walls of people talking about him.

On the other hand, .380 appears to be ineffective against library nerds with books.
http://www.baynews9.com/content/news/baynews9/news/article.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2014/11/20/fsu_shooting_books.html

http://www.baynews9.com/content/dam/news/images/2014/11/3/fsu-book-bullet-2-112014.jpg

That's when he saw the alleged shooter, Myron May, approach him and aim the gun right at him.

Shots were fired. The person behind Derfuss went down. Then Derfuss ran.

When he got to a safe place, he checked his backpack. The bullet went right through his bag, but the two books stopped the bullet from traveling any farther.

JoshNC
11-22-14, 07:56
Yeah that is cool and all but if his beef was with the Federal governmment then why target FSU students?

Hearing voices and having delusions of persecution....he was an undiagnosed schizophrenic who had a psychotic break.

Moose-Knuckle
11-22-14, 15:28
Hearing voices and having delusions of persecution....he was an undiagnosed schizophrenic who had a psychotic break.

That or MK-ULTRA/SSRIs/etc. . . . oops there I said it.