PDA

View Full Version : Help Diagnose M&P issue

WillBrink
11-20-14, 14:13
Gents. Took my M&P FS 9mm to the range today. approx 1,000 trouble free rnds to date. Gun has an APEX M&P Aluminum Forward Set Sear and Trigger Kit installed but was not installed by me.

At the range, I was getting dead trigger maybe once every other mag or so. Bang, bang, nadda. Happened during rapid or slow fire. I slowed it way down to make sure i was not short stroking the trigger and could audibly feel the "snick" of the re set and it still happened. Various mags, still happened. Ammo was same Remington green box I have a bunch of. Not sure if related, but it was also auto forwarding quite a bit. I'm going to safe this gun and use back u until I get this diagnosed and fixed.

Wake27
11-20-14, 14:53
Is it an older M&P?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ruchik
11-20-14, 14:59
I'm betting it's an older M&P. They were known to have sear flutter issues, where sometimes the sear plunger would not reset the trigger.

Apex made this issue very well known. For a time, they offered a service where they would drill out the sear plunger hole to accept the larger and redesigned sear plunger; newer M&P's all have this larger sear plunger and plunger spring. Apex now requires the gun to have this larger plunger to use the FSS kit. The only way to know is to take the sear housing block apart and look at the plunger under the sear. Your best bet if this is the case is to look around for the updated sear housing block from sources such as Brownells and Midway.

Clint
11-20-14, 15:01
How much over travel does the trigger have?

I seem to recall the trigger loop needing to be opened with some of those triggers.

jdavis6576
11-20-14, 15:16
I haven't had this issue but I've been very pleased with Randy and Scott when I've called with questions. They can probably diagnosis the issue quicker than most.

WillBrink
11-20-14, 15:38
Is it an older M&P?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No. Recent Gen.

WillBrink
11-20-14, 15:40
I'm betting it's an older M&P. They were known to have sear flutter issues, where sometimes the sear plunger would not reset the trigger.

Apex made this issue very well known. For a time, they offered a service where they would drill out the sear plunger hole to accept the larger and redesigned sear plunger; newer M&P's all have this larger sear plunger and plunger spring. Apex now requires the gun to have this larger plunger to use the FSS kit. The only way to know is to take the sear housing block apart and look at the plunger under the sear. Your best bet if this is the case is to look around for the updated sear housing block from sources such as Brownells and Midway.

I'll break it down and look. I think it's a recent gen M&P with larger sear plunger, but I'll look to be 100% sure.

Singlestack Wonder
11-20-14, 18:25
Glad it didn't happen to you in a shtf situation. M&P's have yet to demonstrate suitable reliability for self defense use, even with 3rd party parts.

mtdawg169
11-20-14, 19:13
Glad it didn't happen to you in a shtf situation. M&P's have yet to demonstrate suitable reliability for self defense use, even with 3rd party parts.
My experience tells me otherwise. I've owned several over the years and all have been extremely reliable, with and without Apex parts.

Randy Lee
11-20-14, 19:13
Hi,

There are a couple of things that might be at play if your gun has the larger 1/8" sear spring and plunger. First, can you tell me if the sear spring is coated in yellow paint? Smith color codes their non MA sear spring with yellow paint. I have found that this spring can be too light to use with our Forward Set Sear due to the weight distribution of the sear. If you do have the factory sear spring installed, let me know and I will get you the appropriate sear spring (ours is silver, and stronger than factory to resist sear flutter).

Another thing that can cause the dead trigger with the FSS is wear of the trigger bar at the point where the trigger loop resets under the sear. Both the side of the loop and the camming surface (top of loop) should be square and perpenduclar to one another. As the trigger bar wears, a nearly 45 degree notch forms, and it can allow the trigger loop to pop underneath the sear cam before the slide returns to battery.

If neither of these are the cause, give us a call and we will be happy to help!

-Randy

Hopefully the cause is one of the two that I just mentioned, and preferably the first since that is a quick one to remedy. The second one usually requires replacing the trigger bar.

WillBrink
11-20-14, 19:43

My other M&P has been excellent after many rounds. It may be as much an issue if the third party instillation, but I have to figure it out.

WillBrink
11-20-14, 19:46
Hi,

There are a couple of things that might be at play if your gun has the larger 1/8" sear spring and plunger. First, can you tell me if the sear spring is coated in yellow paint? Smith color codes their non MA sear spring with yellow paint. I have found that this spring can be too light to use with our Forward Set Sear due to the weight distribution of the sear. If you do have the factory sear spring installed, let me know and I will get you the appropriate sear spring (ours is silver, and stronger than factory to resist sear flutter).

Another thing that can cause the dead trigger with the FSS is wear of the trigger bar at the point where the trigger loop resets under the sear. Both the side of the loop and the camming surface (top of loop) should be square and perpenduclar to one another. As the trigger bar wears, a nearly 45 degree notch forms, and it can allow the trigger loop to pop underneath the sear cam before the slide returns to battery.

-Randy

Hopefully the cause is one of the two that I just mentioned, and preferably the first since that is a quick one to remedy. The second one usually requires replacing the trigger bar.

Thank you Randy. Much appreciate as always. I will examine the gun asap and post results. Unlike my other M&Ps with Apex parts, i didn't install the one myself. Mistake #1 I suppose.

WillBrink
11-21-14, 18:37
Hi,

-Randy

The plunger spring is not yellow. The loop on the trigger bar looks square and clean to my eye, but not my area of expertise to be sure. I can post some pics also if that helps. Sadly, I don't think it's either of those. I guess I'll have to put in a call ASAP. I'm of the nature, as many are, if I lose confidence in a SD/Duty gun and can't be sure I have addressed the specific issue, and am confident it's addressed, it's gone.

Randy Lee
11-21-14, 19:40
It sounds like it might be the slide to frame tolerance is on the higher side. We have a cure for those instances. Give us a call and let my staff know that you have been in contact with me. We can send a replacement sear that is machined to ride a little higher in the frame.

-Randy

Hank6046
11-21-14, 21:44
It sounds like it might be the slide to frame tolerance is on the higher side. We have a cure for those instances. Give us a call and let my staff know that you have been in contact with me. We can send a replacement sear that is machined to ride a little higher in the frame.

-Randy

This is why I love this forum, good people all around

WillBrink
11-22-14, 07:46
This is why I love this forum, good people all around

Randy is the best.