PDA

View Full Version : Taurus: The Curve

Gingerkid
11-22-14, 09:53
Have you guys/gals seen this thing? I searched and didn't see a topic, mods delete if a dupe.

Never been a fan of Taurus, but curious if any other manufacturers will follow suit in the curved design.

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii45/GingerKidPhotos/Guns_and_Gear/imagejpg1_zps51a0fc66.jpg (http://s261.photobucket.com/user/GingerKidPhotos/media/Guns_and_Gear/imagejpg1_zps51a0fc66.jpg.html)

Article here: http://www.alloutdoor.com/2014/11/18/taurus-curve-contoured-wearable-pistol/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=2014-11-22&utm_campaign=Weekly+Newsletter

Sensei
11-22-14, 09:56
I lost interest with the word "Taurus"

cwgibson
11-22-14, 09:59

This

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Kain
11-22-14, 10:16
Looks likes something Keltec might come up with. Points for thinking outside the box. Other than that.....

Hank6046
11-22-14, 10:36
Is it supposed to curve like that, or that just another Quality Control slip from Taurus?

JimmyB62
11-22-14, 10:47
Is it supposed to curve like that, or that just another Quality Control slip from Taurus?

Taurus engineers Claudio and Marco originally designed it as a traditional polymer frame 380 and came up with the current idea when one of them left a prototype on the dashboard in the hot Brazilian sun.

JW5219
11-22-14, 11:04

Amen to that!!!

PD Sgt.
11-22-14, 11:07
Is it just me or does it look like a X26 taser and a .380 had a tryst?

VIP3R 237
11-22-14, 11:19
How the hell can that barrel stabilize a bullet? That sinful monstrosity will be lucky to hit anything at 10 paces.

Zirk208
11-22-14, 12:33
Once again the lefties are left out on this one...not that I'm going to lose sleep for being neglected by a taurus.

ShipWreck
11-22-14, 18:47

+1000

Sam
11-22-14, 19:49
No love for Taurus here Red :)

Don't tell me you want one.

ralph
11-22-14, 20:15
Well, as was said before, I'll give'm credit for thinking out of the box.... It's a interesting concept..But in the end, it's still a Taurus...

1_click_off
11-22-14, 20:15
How the hell can that barrel stabilize a bullet? That sinful monstrosity will be lucky to hit anything at 10 paces.

How would you know what you are aiming at on a bright day or dead batteries? No sights!!!

Kain
11-22-14, 20:21
How would you know what you are aiming at on a bright day or dead batteries? No sights!!!

What don't believe in point shooting? Have had at least one instructor tell me that sights are useless and that he didn't need sights to shoot anything inside 25 yards. :rolleyes: Sadly I am not joking.

Hank6046
11-22-14, 20:25
Taurus engineers Claudio and Marco originally designed it as a traditional polymer frame 380 and came up with the current idea when one of them left a prototype on the dashboard in the hot Brazilian sun.

Great answer, just great

1_click_off
11-22-14, 20:53
What don't believe in point shooting? Have had at least one instructor tell me that sights are useless and that he didn't need sights to shoot anything inside 25 yards. :rolleyes: Sadly I am not joking.

I am good out to 45-50 yards and no sights..... With my bow!

SeriousStudent
11-23-14, 00:49
If you look up Taurus in an English-Portuguese dictionary you will find it translates as "lingering taste of vomit".

Gingerkid
11-23-14, 13:47
No love for Taurus here Red :)

Don't tell me you want one.

You know me better than that....

I'm not looking for love, just thought it was an interesting concept.

Don Robison
11-23-14, 13:50
They should stick with making chrome .22s with gold accents and "pearl" grips.

Sam
11-23-14, 13:51

... looking for love, ...

... in all the wrong places. :)

Almost dinner time dude.

Kain
11-23-14, 14:23
... in all the wrong places. :)

Almost dinner time dude.

Don't encourage him. We don't need another dick in the apple pie.

July4th
11-23-14, 16:45
This! I thought my LCP "sights" were bad. I won't be going near this abomination. If it brings new shooters into the fold, great, other than that I don't see a use.

Psalms144.1
11-23-14, 17:51
I love a company that tries to put lipstick on a pig (the 738), then market "features" like a total lack of sights... The sad news is I'm SURE Taurus will sell tons of these.

I will say that the concept of an integrated light/laser into the polymer frame is forward thinking - didn't Ruger just come out with something similar that turns on automatically on drawing out of a special holster?

Heavydmp
11-23-14, 18:06
Thousands of Judge and Kelcrap owners are breathless with anticipation...

July4th
11-23-14, 18:18
didn't Ruger just come out with something similar that turns on automatically on drawing out of a special holster?

IIRC it's a Viridian equiped model, LCP and LC9. There's a magnet (?) in the holster that activates it when seperated. Neat idea, but IMO the holster sucks and I only trust CT on my pistols.

t1tan
11-23-14, 18:28
This! I thought my LCP "sights" were bad. I won't be going near this abomination. If it brings new shooters into the fold, great, other than that I don't see a use.

I think new shooters would be the last people I'd want using a gun with no way to aim, at least if I'm present.

RAM Engineer
11-24-14, 09:57
Looking at this objectively (not just trying to get a laugh like some commenters), and separating DESIGN from EXECUTION (where Taurus usually fails hardest):

1. integrated light and laser. Laser integration has become more common in recent years, but not light AND laser.

2. Every design is a trade off between shootable ergonomics and concealability. Every gun is somewhere on that continuum. This gun veers farther towards the concealability end of the axis than almost any other pistol we've seen. Whether it pans out or not, it will be an interesting case study for that trade-off.

3. Lack of traditional sighting setup seems to be a step too far. Even a Guttersnipe like the old ASP pistols would be better and not much bulkier.

4. Integration of a holster (belt clip): We've seen these before (Keltec, LCP, Technaclip).

So, it looks like they took several existing technologies (lights, lasers, clip) and wrapped them up with something that prioritizes concealability FAR beyond shootability. Like I said, I'm more interested in discussing the merits of the DESIGN choices they made than I am bashing Taurus' known poor reliability and quality ad nauseum. WE KNOW Taurus makes crap. But what are the merits/demerits/etc of these design choices? Imagine the side of the gun says Glock, or HK. What would you think now? If I knew that this gun was made with typical HK quality, I'd plunk my money down in a heartbeat. Not because I'm a "HK fanboy", but because I'm interested in trying guns that try innovative things to push the envelope...which I would say this thing does.

markm
11-24-14, 10:12
Thousands of Judge and Kelcrap owners are breathless with anticipation...

If I was a gun dealer, I'd have a pallet of these retarded things on order. No Joke.

cwgibson
11-24-14, 11:27
If I was a gun dealer, I'd have a pallet of these retarded things on order. No Joke.

I have no doubt they will sell very well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

t1tan
11-24-14, 11:28

They'd all be sold on pre-orders for sure.

JChops
11-24-14, 15:19
I'll keep my Homeboy Nyte Sytes for now.

http://i1056.photobucket.com/albums/t362/JTMSalePhotos/HomeboyGlock.jpg

Gingerkid
11-24-14, 17:05
Thank you RAM Engineer for your comments. That is exactly the discussion I was looking for.

Like I said, I'm not a fan of Taurus but I think the out of the box thinking/design on this could trickle in to other manufacturers models (or perhaps not at all). As you mentioned, if Glock or HK was roll marked on the slide would serious shooters consider it?

Leaveammoforme
11-24-14, 17:41
As you mentioned, if Glock or HK was roll marked on the slide would serious shooters consider it?

I wouldn't. Whats the old saying? "You can sprinkle sugar on a turd but it is still a turd"

Kain
11-24-14, 18:01
Thank you RAM Engineer for your comments. That is exactly the discussion I was looking for.

Like I said, I'm not a fan of Taurus but I think the out of the box thinking/design on this could trickle in to other manufacturers models (or perhaps not at all). As you mentioned, if Glock or HK was roll marked on the slide would serious shooters consider it?

As I tried to say, I support a company who wants to try something new regardless of the company. The Rhino revolver I thought was weird but would give it a chance, and have heard some good things from some shooters, not that I would go out and be buying. That said, I do wish that the gun would at least be function and QC would be decent. However, as with other designs, the R51 for example, sometimes the reason something has never been done before, or a design has gone the way of the dodo, is because it was never that great of an idea to begin with. A thought that I have had looking at this is while the gun may have a slight edge to concealment, how big of a pain is this thing to reload? There is no straight insertion, but rolling a mag into the gun, I foresee this being a bit of an issue for some, as well as another place with tolerances may create big problems.

That said, time will tell.

Gingerkid
11-24-14, 18:50
Your post makes me realize how brain dead I am.... Crooked mags! I never even considered that.

Kain
11-24-14, 18:53
Your post makes me realize how brain dead I am.... Crooked mags! I never even considered that.

Don't feel too bad. This thread has gone on for what three days? And I just now thought of it and I was well lubed at least one of those days. But it would be something I would consider.

Sam
11-24-14, 19:44
Hell, the Ruger 10/22 and 10/44 have rotary magazines, same with the drum magazines for various guns, they seem to work ok. Just because the magazine is a little skewed doesn't mean that it won't feed. This gun may or may not work, same as the Remington 51, it may turn into a flop.

t1tan
11-24-14, 20:56
It has straight magazines

Shao
11-25-14, 04:40
It has straight magazines

...so logic would dictate that material would have to be added to increase strength, thus rendering its supposed benefits null.

"Hey we made this handgun that fits the contours of your body, but in order to get the magazine to fit, we had to make it two inches thick!"

Seriously - look at the barrel in relation to the slide. Now look at most every other pocket .380 - this thing is going to be one fat turd.

JasonB1
11-25-14, 06:22
Any idea when the 9x19 Peyronie Edition will hit the shelves?

Palmguy
11-25-14, 06:44
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii551/PalmguyFL/curvemag_zps6dd3040b.jpg

I've seen 1.18" as the thickness of the Curve, which is the same thickness as a 9/40/357 Glock (!).

markm
11-25-14, 08:34
Any idea when the 9x19 Peyronie Edition will hit the shelves?

:sarcastic: They have to soak up all the .380 carry retards' money first. Spring of 2015 probably!

Heavydmp
11-26-14, 08:53
:sarcastic: They have to soak up all the .380 carry retards' money first. Spring of 2015 probably!

Nah. My LCP tre atey loded with Teh Zomby Macks shoots them down brehh. It's what Teh sealz use dood.

Kain
11-26-14, 09:51
http://i1259.photobucket.com/albums/ii551/PalmguyFL/curvemag_zps6dd3040b.jpg

I've seen 1.18" as the thickness of the Curve, which is the same thickness as a 9/40/357 Glock (!).

Seeing that, I think these were just one that they left too close the to heater and are trying to sell anyway. Also, would not be the first time that Taurus put out a platform in several calibers and only appeared to change the barrel in the damn things. Forget what the gun model was but it was in 9mm, .40, and .45 and the .45 was the lightest unloaded, likely because it had the thinnest barrel.

Jellybean
11-29-14, 00:47
I love a company that tries to put lipstick on a pig (the 738), then market "features" like a total lack of sights... The sad news is I'm SURE Taurus will sell tons of these.....

Probably make NRA "gun of the year" to boot, considering they gave that to the Judge a few years back...:rolleyes:

Personally, I don't care what merits or demerits the design may have.
To much inbuilt electronic shit that I can't get rid of if/when it goes TU.
Nah. Sorry bro, but it's bad enough on cars, and now we've got to slap it all over guns too?
And the trigger looks like it probably has a three and a half yard pull.
Plus, maybe it's a prototype bug, but no irons? Really? So again, complete reliance on the electronic bullshit to operate the thing effectively.
As if the horrifically ugly wannabe fancy-pants design wasn't bad enough. Darn R51 was a nicer gun, from a straight up aesthetic POV. The "gun you wear"? Bitch please....Everyone knows half the battle is simply using a decent holster, and you know, not carrying a fullsize USP if you're 100 pounds soaking. And a pocket clip? How is this anything new when the same general idea has been around in the form of minimalist Kydex trigger guards on a tether for.... how long now? Oh, wait it has that too. Original.
But wait- it completely redeems itself by being chambered in the mighty .380 caliber, because 9mm isn't good enough! :sarcastic:
F that.

yellowfin
11-29-14, 14:44
I think I'll just stick with my Kahr for when I need something that small. Then the Shield and up from there.

Ryno12
11-29-14, 14:56
Say what you guys want but I have no issues with the curve(s) on this Taurus.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/29/7dd2fffe71f65f9152def83eeb5a6e6d.jpg

July4th
11-29-14, 16:57
Say what you guys want but I have no issues with the curve(s) on this Taurus.

http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/11/29/7dd2fffe71f65f9152def83eeb5a6e6d.jpg
Nice! Jesse Duff is definitely one FINE specimen! It's a shame she shoots for them. She's good enough to shoot for a legit manufacturer, they must throw tons of money her way. I wonder what she EDCs, I bet it ain't Taurus!

opmike
11-29-14, 21:11
Can't say I'm at all opposed to the "curve" concept in principle for a small carry gun like this. With how much fractions of an inch in thickness and length can affect how well a gun carries, it would be interesting to see what positive benefits, if any, this concept brings to the table.

What I just can't get behind is it's a Taurus. I absolutely will not spend any of my money buying something from that company.

Gingerkid
11-30-14, 08:47
I would agree on all points 'opmike'. Do you think we will see a future Smith & Wesson model: Bend? Arch? Bow?

Sam
11-30-14, 09:30
I would agree on all points 'opmike'. Do you think we will see a future Smith & Wesson model: Bend? Arch? Bow?

Dogleg? Crooked? They would have to make one that bends the other way for the lefty.

JasonB1
11-30-14, 15:52
Dogleg? Crooked? They would have to make one that bends the other way for the lefty.

Just make the frame corrugated like a drain pipe(or, if you are really cynical, a drinking straw) with a reversible floor plate to lock the bend to the desired shape.

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-22-15, 19:02
First. I know Taurus makes a lot of crap. I have never bought the first one. HOWEVER, this concept seems intriguing. I like the idea of the build in light/laser combo. I wish it was 9mm.

jpmuscle
04-22-15, 19:39
Does this make gangsta style shooting more efficient?

NCPatrolAR
04-25-15, 13:11
When does the curved Judge come out?

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-25-15, 17:49
I looked at one at the store today and I am telling you the concept is solid. Being Taurus, I am confident the gun is straight up poo, but the concept is solid. No mag release, no slide release. Nothing to snag on anything. The trigger is very long but manageable. and I believe the gun would be fine in a simple pocket holster And I flat out love the integrated laser and light. The curve business I can take or leave...but there is a lot of the future in this gun. I AM TELLIN' YAH!!

We need Walther to take their PPS and build one with an integral light and laser just like this (although I would probably just machine in an integral "New Agent" style trench down the top of the slide).

Unfortuantely Taurus and Keltic seem to be some of the only people trying to do anything new (while making sure the execution is so bad no one gives it a fair shake)

Koshinn
04-25-15, 18:34
Didnt the s&w bodyguard have a built in laser a decade ago?

The Dumb Gun Collector
04-25-15, 18:44
I think the nano has and option one too. And of course you can get laser grips (which I have had for decades) I am talking about the combo. There are no decent compact combos. You have to get something like the Crimson Trace Railmaster Pro of the Viridian C5L which are still fairly large and have Pro-Mag/Jimenez level mounting systems. Lasers are, in my opinion, probably the better choice for integration but combos that allow you to both identify and hit targets in low light are the holy grail in my opinion. WAAAAy more important than capacity or caliber for a civilian constant carry setup

HKfreak
04-26-15, 10:22
Looks like itll be easy to throw for when it jams...

Brianb23
04-26-15, 10:56
This thread is completely useless! Taurus could give two craps about our opinions. Judging by their recent advertising this gun is aimed directly at women. They are playing to the fact that the single largest growth in concealed carry and gun ownership is women. LGS's will sell these like hot cakes to girls looking for something small and cute, never mind the fact that when they take this out to the range they won't be able to hit an elephants ass at arms length. From a functional standpoint this seems useless, but from a marketing stand point it is genius!

Hwikek
04-26-15, 16:51
I think they might have underestimated how often women read when Taurus thought up that marketing strategy.

I try not to be too negative or critical but I can pretty much say without a doubt that this is the dumbest design I have ever seen for a firearm in my entire life. The only part of it that makes sense is the built in laser/light combo. Everything else seems faulty. I'm still in shock that this is a real product but I'm not sure why.

attrapereves
04-27-15, 06:16
Say what you want about Taurus, but they are always coming out with new products. Meanwhile, it takes Glock years to come out with a simple single stack 380 and 9mm.

Too bad their (Taurus) QC sucks.

Sam
04-27-15, 12:51
I handled the Curve at the NRA convention earlier this month. I am not a fan. The trigger itself is recessed into a groove that it was very difficult to completely pull the trigger to the fire position. You have to almost make the tip of your finger push the trigger into the recessed groove. It is a total gimmick to me.

CornCod
04-28-15, 09:23
Kudos to Taurus for trying something new. I would probably never buy one because of Taurus infamous quality control issues, but I predict that in three years Smith and Wesson and Ruger will probably issue something very much like it. Taurus and Kel-Tec are real innovators.

FishTaco
04-29-15, 18:22
Too weird.

Jpoe88
04-30-15, 21:53
I'd like to get my hands on one. Rather it be 9mm though. It's not a go to the range and spend a day with (well maybe the first day)but to take and run about it 500 thru it check for function, slap defensive in it and carry and for us who carry everyday it could even double as a back-up.

I like what was said about them being innovative. Of course look at Glock, takes them years to have single stack 9/380 but at the same time, no one was curious if the glock was gonna be worth a shit or not. The answer is obvious. Personally I don't care for how glocks feel but damnit the design works and runs great.

A few friends have had Taurus 24/7's one a G2 and the other a Pro DS, and neither had a hiccup and both guys had well over 1500 down the pipe.