PDA

View Full Version : Noveske NSR pic request

Bad_Karma
11-22-14, 11:56
Hello all, does anyone have a photo of a Noveske NSR hand-guard in 9" mounted to a 14.5" barrel, preferably with a mid-length gas system? I've got a 14.5" Noveske skinny barrel on order (same barrel used on their Thunder Ranch rifle). I'm trying to keep it ultra-light. I had an 11" NSR before but I'd like to go even shorter this time. I read somewhere that the 9" is supposed to cover the gas block on a mid-length barrel, which is all I'm looking for. I've never been a hand way out in front style shooter, in fact the 7" rail on my SIG 516 is long enough for my preferred holding method. So for ergonomics, 9" would be fine, I just want to make sure it covers the gas block at least partially. Most of the gas block could be exposed, I just really want to avoid having the gas tube exposed.

Thanks in advance.

TehLlama
11-22-14, 12:08
9" won't cover the gas block on a middy system - the 9" would allow an FSP in the mid-lenght position to work, so the GB wouldn't be occluded in any way. If the 11" worked for you before, I'd argue that's 'the' answer (I've had to yank both of my 9" VTAC handguards and replace them with 11" units for my wife's rifles). If nothing else, that's added iron sight radius at a small weight cost, especially after adding a weaponlight.

The setup will look basically like this:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpnAUxInNxIDNhzOpxfWJj2WvhBU7ia5OgWE2n0kCsHqA9MKTJ
https://delta3tactical.com/store/product_images/p/095/noveske-afghan-145-556mm-rifle-w-vis-and-switch-block__64865_zoom.jpg

So the gas tube won't be exposed or anything, but the gas block will be ahead of the handguard.

Thump_rrr
11-22-14, 12:09
You are SOL. The 11"NSR would have been perfect.

I have a Noveske Afghan 14.5 with mid length gas and a 13.5" handguard.
The forward end of the gas block sits 3-1/8" behind my handguard so you would need at least 10-3/8" to cover the gas block. With a 9" NSR the gas block would be completely exposed.

I have an 11" NSR on the way and may be able to post pics next week if I'm not out of town on business.

Just a suggestion but instead of going through all th trouble of lightening the front of the rifle have you thought of adding a little bit of weight to the back of the rifle to balance it out?
I have 2 Noveske lowers, one with a CTR buttstock and another with a heavier UBR.
When using the Afghan upper with the UBR equipped lower the rifle feels perfectly balanced and I can go all day with it.
When it is mated to the lower with the lighter CTR it feels nose heavy and I get tired of using it even though it is actually a lighter setup.

Bad_Karma
11-22-14, 12:12
I appreciate the quick responses guys! Looks like another NSR-11 is in my future. :D