PDA

View Full Version : Vickers and/or Suarez Glock Mag Base Plates

GeorgeB
11-23-14, 07:11
So, Larry Vickers releases replacement Glock base plates under his brand, they seem to do the job and do it well. Then, along comes Gabe Suarez and now I'm seeing he is selling his own Glock base plates which seem to me to be pretty much identical to Vickers plates.

Anyone have any experience with the Suarez plates to speak to any difference between them and the Vickers' plates?

Biggy
11-23-14, 08:46
Looks like the main differences between them are the material choice and their width. http://blog.suarezinternational.com/2014/10/suarez.html

Voodoo_Man
11-23-14, 09:08
...what's the problem with OEM base plates?

If you are going to change some base plates, at least make them better than OEM - Taran Tactical has some pretty sweet ones, some give you additional capacity.

http://i.imgur.com/Y1GqCcB.jpg

GeorgeB
11-23-14, 09:46
The concept of an improved base plate is simply that during some malfunctions the magazine can become quite snugly jammed up in the Glock and the factory plate does not give you much of a purchase on the plate to yank the mag out, etc. The Vicker plates provide that additional purchase, and it also makes it a bit easier to manipulate them from a mag holder on your side, etc. Also, if you have gloves on the OEM plate is not very easy to use, etc.

And extended magazine brings with it the potential for problems with mags with overcompressed springs, or springs not adequate enough to provide reliable feeding. They are fun as range toys and in competition are pretty standard, but most people advise against them in a fighting handgun.

Voodoo_Man
11-23-14, 10:06
The concept of an improved base plate is simply that during some malfunctions the magazine can become quite snugly jammed up in the Glock and the factory plate does not give you much of a purchase on the plate to yank the mag out, etc. The Vicker plates provide that additional purchase, and it also makes it a bit easier to manipulate them from a mag holder on your side, etc. Also, if you have gloves on the OEM plate is not very easy to use, etc.

And extended magazine brings with it the potential for problems with mags with overcompressed springs, or springs not adequate enough to provide reliable feeding. They are fun as range toys and in competition are pretty standard, but most people advise against them in a fighting handgun.

"Most people" have not been in gun fights so their words mean little to nothing.

"overcompression" is a gimmick at best that was a concern for past gen glock's. I have several gen 3 and gen 4 mags that have been loaded for over a year (some two or three) no issues.

Less listening to self-proclaimed experts, more thinking ahead and having your own experiences with firearms.

YVK
11-23-14, 10:35
More options:
http://www.benstoegerproshop.com/mobile/Product.aspx?ProductCode=GL-SF1

demkofour
11-23-14, 11:02
Yet another option: http://www.10-8performance.com/glock-magazine-base-pad-black/

MountainRaven
11-23-14, 15:48
...what's the problem with OEM base plates?

If you are going to change some base plates, at least make them better than OEM - Taran Tactical has some pretty sweet ones, some give you additional capacity.

http://i.imgur.com/Y1GqCcB.jpg

The Tarans are awesome. But I'm not sure how much I trust a magazine base plate/extension that's held on by a metal rod secured in place by a tiny set-screw. And they're ridiculously expensive.

I'm also pretty certain that I wouldn't want to use the Tarans concealed. I'm not sure I'd want to use any of the magazine extensions concealed, except maybe in the case of something like the Glock +2 on a G19 or 26.

IME, the Vickers units conceal just fine, but still give improved grasping ability on the magazine when a grip plug is used. Can't think of a horribly compelling reason to buy the Suarez unit instead of a +2 extension. Or instead of either the 10-8 or LAV units.

Voodoo_Man
11-23-14, 16:03
Depends on your body size. My backup has a taran addon. Little bit of loctite on the screw and you are good to go.

GeorgeB
11-23-14, 16:45
Vodoo, mind sharing your DD214? You can white out the personal information, but I'd like to see your combat experience.

Voodoo_Man
11-23-14, 16:57
Vodoo, mind sharing your DD214? You can white out the personal information, but I'd like to see your combat experience.

Funny guy, and you are barking up the wrong tree.

Straight Shooter
11-23-14, 17:00
I can & do vouch for the Arredondo mag extensions. Have them in 9mm & 45ACP. NO PROBLEMS with many many rounds thru them.
And yes, I DO use them while CC-ing. Gives a total of 23 rounds in a G17 mag. Also been using Glock +2 extensions for a long time now, no problems. Plan on getting 2-3 Taran Tactical extensions as a gift to myself for Christmas. I see them in use in IPSC, I figure they got to be good to go, of course Ill test them out thoroughly before trusting them. As for me Ive no use at all for the "NAME BRAND O' THE DAY" baseplates, especially if/when they offer no extra capacity.

opngrnd
11-23-14, 17:05
Depends on your body size. My backup has a taran addon. Little bit of loctite on the screw and you are good to go.

I fail to see why a person couldn't routinely check their magazines, to include a set screw.

OP-It's not a glock, but my M&P does well with the original 10-8 aluminum basepads. I intend to order a set of 10-8's glock mag plates for a buddy this Christmas, if I do, and the OP would like, I'll take pictures.

Voodoo_Man
11-23-14, 17:14
I fail to see why a person couldn't routinely check their magazines, to include a set screw.

OP-It's not a glock, but my M&P does well with the original 10-8 aluminum basepads. I intend to order a set of 10-8's glock mag plates for a buddy this Christmas, if I do, and the OP would like, I'll take pictures.

Obviously you should check your equipment, that goes without saying.

SeriousStudent
11-23-14, 19:04
Let's discuss magazine parts, and not each other.

Thanks.