PDA

View Full Version : cowboy boot carry

rjacobs
11-23-14, 12:00
I recently got my first pair of cowboy boots. I'm interested in possibly carrying a j frame(642) in the boot as a bug. There is enough room for this. I've been reading a lot of threads on various forums and the recommendations range from "just drop it in there" to "the only was is this 100 dollar ankle holster". One option i need to try is a desantis nemisus just dropped in the boot. Any recommendations on carry methods?

26 Inf
11-23-14, 17:14
Back in the day we had a detective that carried a 21/2 inch model 66 just dropped in his boot.

Okay as long as you aren't running or doing any active movement - I thought it was a dumb idea.

I'd either go with a ankle/calf holster or have a shoe repair guy stitch the Nemesis in there if you like it.

Psalms144.1
11-23-14, 17:48
Cowboy boots and ankle carry just don't go together without a LOT of extra work. You have two options - strap the holster over the boot shaft, or under it (traditional position around your calf). The first option leads to a VERY bulky "bump" under your jeans - and usually requires an extender to the wrap of the holster. The second option leads to a draw that requires you to lift your pant leg nearly to your knee to then shove your hand down inside the shaft of the boot to get at the pistol (slow and clumsy).

I can't even imagine that "just dropping it in there" would be comfortable, safe, or accessible in a stressful situation...

rjacobs
11-23-14, 18:56
I agree with the "just drop it in and roll" method doesnt seem ideal.

I dont want to have anything sewn into these boots, they were fairly expensive so modifying them isnt really an option.

Im not really worried about a slow draw as this would be a BUG to an M&P9 and a last resort or very deep concealement. I cant really see myself carrying there very often actually, especially in winter when I carry the J-Frame in the nemesis in a jacket pocket. But occasionally there are places I would like to go where carrying in a normal IWB holster is tough, such as wearing a tucked in shirt with dress clothes. No matter how "good" the clips look on an IWB holster and no matter how good the gun conceals, its 100% obvious you are carrying when somebody sees a clip or two over a belt(at least to me it is). I was also in a location the other night where its 100% legal to carry, no signs, etc... and I have carried here before, but they were wanding people down, but just at the waist. I went back to my truck and put my gun in the safe and went in, but with a boot gun, I could have just walked on in after having my waist wanded. I have been to this place several other times and nothing was being done as far as wanding people down, I think it is in response to all the Ferguson stuff going on around STL as the police presence was way higher than I have ever seen.

Ive never ankle carried before, never had a reason so I know nothing about ankle holsters, but they just dont seem like an ideal solution to this issue as was already stated.

I think I will try putting the nemesis into the boot and carrying like that and see if it works. The shaft of the boot is pretty generous on these as I dont have ultra big calf's so I suspect there is plenty of room. If its comfortable or not is another story. If it doesnt work, for me, im out nothing. I just dont see an ankle holster working well because IMO it would have to be pretty far up which would almost lead to the pistol NOT being in the boot at all and more like a "calf" holster.

TXBK
11-23-14, 19:01
I am going to go out on a limb and say that just dropping it in your boot is not be an option. I am pulling my boot if any foreign object finds its way in there. I think that it will need a holster that is secured, and probably to your leg. I will say that I have never carried in such a way, but I do know how I feel about things in my boots.

ryantx23
11-23-14, 19:06
I am going to go out on a limb and say that just dropping it in your boot is not be an option. I am pulling my boot if any foreign object finds its way in there. I think that it will need a holster that is secured, and probably to your leg. I will say that I have never carried in such a way, but I do know how I feel about things in my boots.

Back in the B-Town days, LOTS of things got put in our boots @ the FD... When do you want to go do some shooting?

TXBK
11-23-14, 19:19
Back in the B-Town days, LOTS of things got put in our boots @ the FD... When do you want to go do some shooting?

Sure, but that was when it was the meth manufacturing captial of the world. :) It's much cleaner now.

El Cid
11-23-14, 19:28
On the rare occasion I break out my Dan Post boots, the BUG moves to the waist or pocket. Ankle holsters are slow and awkward already - with boots it's a no-go in my experience.

If you want the look and an ankle holster, get some boots that only go up to you ankle. No idea what they're called but they were hip when my great grandfather was a young man.

ST911
11-23-14, 20:56
OP- Take your boots to a leather/saddle/shoe shop. Have someone who knows what they're doing stitch the holster body of your choice to the boot, or craft one for you custom.

TXBK
11-23-14, 21:05
OP- Take your boots to a leather/saddle/shoe shop. Have someone who knows what they're doing stitch the holster body of your choice to the boot, or craft one for you custom.

That sounds like a good idea, from someone that doesn't like foreign objects in their boots.

ST911
11-23-14, 21:10
Depending on boot/calf fit, you could have it stitched inside the boot near the top.

rjacobs
11-23-14, 21:28
I really dont want to modify a pair of Lucchese's personally so I was looking at something that didnt require that. Im also not looking to carry like this every day so having a holster in a boot that might get used once a month, really doesnt seem like a good idea to me. I agree though that it is probably the "best" way of going about things, I just dont think its a way I want to go.

Im guessing this is more just in the "bad idea" category and dont mess with it.

26 Inf
11-23-14, 22:08
On the rare occasion I break out my Dan Post boots, the BUG moves to the waist or pocket. Ankle holsters are slow and awkward already - with boots it's a no-go in my experience.

If you want the look and an ankle holster, get some boots that only go up to you ankle. No idea what they're called but they were hip when my great grandfather was a young man.

I believe you are talking of short wellingtons - if we are talking pull-ons; lace-ons would be chukka boots; of course if it was your great-great grandfather you could be talking Chelsea or Beatle boots.

The short cowboy boots and shoes are primarily for chicks.

It is beyond me why anyone would wear cowboy boots when ropers are so comfortable and functional. YMMV.

TXBK
11-23-14, 23:00
I really dont want to modify a pair of Lucchese's personally so I was looking at something that didnt require that. Im also not looking to carry like this every day so having a holster in a boot that might get used once a month, really doesnt seem like a good idea to me. I agree though that it is probably the "best" way of going about things, I just dont think its a way I want to go.

Im guessing this is more just in the "bad idea" category and dont mess with it.

You can experiment around the house with what feels most comfortable for you, but you will want it secure and that is all that I know. FWIW, opposite carry on your waist will probably be better than BUG in your boot.