PDA

View Full Version : Mid-Length with 14.5" barrel

No Bananas
06-25-08, 11:33
I'm considering a CMMG midlength 14.5" w/ perm attached Phantom (to bring to 16" length). Will a Mid-length gas system work with a 14.5" barrel OK?:confused:

markm
06-25-08, 12:00
Yes. There are a few versions of this available.

AnimalMother556
06-25-08, 12:35
Sabre defence makes one as well, but I would rather keep my middies at 16". Optimally that is the best length of barrel for a middy and the 14.5" look strange.

GaryXD
06-25-08, 14:36
I have both the CMMG and Sabre 14.5" midlengths. They have both been flawless.

No Bananas
06-30-08, 15:16
CMMG and Sabre both seem to be high quality stuff, certainly by their descriptions. M4 Feedramps, MP tested barrels, 1/7" twist, etc. But I've been told that they don't test their barrels as thoroughly as LMT, Noveske, Colt or other "Tier One" manufacturers. I wouldn't buy a CMMG or Sabre BCG, I'd get a BCM BCG. LMT's prices aren't that bad, but I've been kinda leaning toward a middy. Noveske's stuff looks awesome and I nearly afford it. So, how's about CMMG and Sabre. Are they worth it? Would you take em to a course and shoot em hard?

nickdrak
06-30-08, 15:59
14.5" with a middy gas systems works very well. I had my 16" middy LMT MRP barrel chopped down to 14.5" and had a Vortex permanently attached. It has never skipped a beat in over two years in this configuration.

Personally, I am holding out for Noveske to come out with a Middy version of their N4 basic 14.5" upper, so that I can slap a DD Omega 9.0 on it. I am not crazy about carbine length gas system uppers regardless of barrel length, as they normally limit you to a 7inch railed forend.

FLTechie
06-30-08, 16:23
I finished my Sabre 14.5" Middie build and took her out to the range this weekend and it ran flawless for 140 rounds. Extremely smooth shooting gun.

Hawkeye
06-30-08, 17:50
My 14.5" lightweight mid (CMMG) barrel build is currently one of my favorite setups.

There is also nothing wrong with Sabre BCG's.

FLTechie
06-30-08, 18:18
My 14.5" lightweight mid (CMMG) barrel build is currently one of my favorite setups.

There is also nothing wrong with Sabre BCG's.

Agreed. Mine is properly staked with a good extractor setup. Only downside to the BSG is that it's SA and not FA.

Battl3fr0nt
06-30-08, 22:53
Middy gas systems are the best.. I dont own any car gas systems.. you can depend on middy gas systems more then Car.. that is a fact.. and they are a bit smoother to top it off...

variablebinary
06-30-08, 23:01
Works great

http://home.comcast.net/~armandoc14/MiddyM4s.jpg

FLTechie
06-30-08, 23:03
Works great

http://home.comcast.net/~armandoc14/MiddyM4s.jpg

which rail system did you use?

Battl3fr0nt
07-01-08, 07:18
I use a Troy 9" FF rail.. I love it, it is one of the most solid rails you can buy.. the only thing is the bottom rail that comes off has a tiny bit of wiggel but the top and the sides are rock soild.. the last thing I will be doing to my middy is putting on a flip up front sight (maby) but it is pretty much the way I like it.. Once I get the last few things in the mail for it I will post some pics of the final gun.. I am waiting for the Magpul BUIS tho.. so it will not be all the way done.. but about 90%..