PDA

View Full Version : Question for M&P 45 shooters

variablebinary
06-25-08, 11:59
Is the dust cover sorta droopy on your gun. Also, there seems to be a rather large gap between the frame and slide on all the ones I looked at.

Is this normal?

Jay Cunningham
06-25-08, 12:21
Is the dust cover sorta droopy on your gun. Also, there seems to be a rather large gap between the frame and slide on all the ones I looked at.

Is this normal?

What do you mean by the dust cover?

As far as the gap yes, I think they all have it - yet the pistol is remarkably accurate.

dwhitehorne
06-25-08, 12:26
Here is my 45 I got from another forum member and my 9mm. The dust cover droops down much more on the 45 but it shoots great. David

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i260/dwhitehorne/100_1673.jpg

RogerinTPA
06-25-08, 12:27
Dust cover???? I don't have one on mine. It must be a purchase option or something :), but I wouldn't worry about the gap. It is one pretty accurate and reliable shooter. 1600 round count and not one malfunction. It's one of the on the sweetest shooting .45's I've fired.;)

markm
06-25-08, 12:40
I'm surprise at you gun guys that don't know what a pistol dust cover is. :confused:

R1pper
06-25-08, 12:49
I'm surprise at you gun guys that don't know what a pistol dust cover is. :confused:

Enlighten me then!

-DM-

TOrrock
06-25-08, 12:52
Enlighten me then!

-DM-

Area of the frame forward of the trigger guard, on the M&P, Glock, etc, where the rails are.

markm
06-25-08, 13:02
Yeah. I don't know if it's the correct terminology. But I've seen it called this. I think specifically with the 1911 :cool:

M4arc
06-25-08, 13:26
It's normal. The 45s seem to droop more than the 9mm & 40S&W models.

variablebinary
06-25-08, 13:38
Thanks for the replies. I am torn between the G21SF and MP45.

Has anyone shot both? A comparative view would be appreciated

ToddG
06-25-08, 13:52
As others have pointed out, the "droop" in the dustcover is perfectly normal. It's designed in part to counteract any expansion that might occur during extreme rapid fire and/or extremely high environmental temperatures. Since the frame/slide rails end before the dustcover, there is no way the dustcover can affect accuracy unless it is somehow torquing the slide.

Furthermore, frame-to-slide fit plays somewhere between zero and very minor role in accuracy of a handgun with a locking mechanism such as found on the M&P (and SIGs, Glocks, etc.). The lockup is occurring between the slide and the barrel. The sights are on the slide. So if the slide-to-barrel lockup is tight and your sights align in the same place, the bullet is going to fly straight.

The only outstanding issue is a Ransom Rest, because it uses the frame as a reference point. So if the frame-to-slide fit is loose, a Ransom Rest will report a larger group than you'd get if you took the time to follow, e.g., the DHS/ICE method of lining up the sights and target using a surveyor's tool. Failing that, it's not uncommon to see a really accurate pistol shooter out-shoot a Ransom Rest.

R1pper
06-25-08, 13:59
A buddy of mine has the 21SF so I have a some what limited exposure to it. Compared to my M&P I like the M&P better. It feels better in my hands and in my opinion it is more accurate. But I also dont like the way glocks feel, they feel like a block in my hand and I hate glock triggers. (not the pull but the actual trigger)

The 21SF is a nice smooth shooting pistol, but I just feel that the M&P is smoother and I like the trigger a hell of a lot more.

This is just an opinion I have my limited exposure to the 21SF. I really dont have enough trigger time on the Glock to give you a real accurate and thorough comparison.

Either way both pistols are great, but I feel you will like M&P better.

-DM-

Sam
06-25-08, 14:01

I've shot both, although my experience with the 21SF is limited as I only shot 3 magazines through it. I knew it wasn't for me, as the grip still feel bulky and didn't allow my little hands to fully wrap and control the gun.

I have the MP45 and have shot close to 1000 rounds through it. The ergonomics is much better.

Oscar 319
06-25-08, 14:21
I agree. The original G21 felt like a block of cheese in my hand. The 21SF is not much better. My hands are not small. I have around 1000 rounds through my M&P 45 with no malfunctions. The more I shoot it, the more I like it. And the more I'm reminded how damn expensive .45 ACP is these days!

IrishDevil
06-25-08, 20:15
I've been doing a comparison between the HK45, M&P 45, and the G21SF. I plan on posting it up before soon, I want to put another 500 rds down the pipe of each. Between the two you've mentioned the M&P has the edge on accuracy and the ergos are pretty good too. While not a knock on the M&P 45, I've found it to be more lube sensitive than others over the course of 1500 rds. I've also had a couple mag issues, which led to some FTF's, which were handled swiftly by S&W.

uspopo
06-25-08, 20:39

I actually own both and haven't had a chance to shoot either. I have to buy some more .45 ammo and put both of them thru their paces. I do have to admit that I like the looks and the feel of my MP45 a lot more and this is coming from a Glock guy...:D

Stan

Jay Cunningham
06-25-08, 20:48
I've been doing a comparison between the HK45, M&P 45, and the G21SF. I plan on posting it up before soon, I want to put another 500 rds down the pipe of each. Between the two you've mentioned the M&P has the edge on accuracy and the ergos are pretty good too. While not a knock on the M&P 45, I've found it to be more lube sensitive than others over the course of 1500 rds. I've also had a couple mag issues, which led to some FTF's, which were handled swiftly by S&W.

Looking forward to the info.

MarshallDodge
06-25-08, 21:02
I am a 1911 guy but recently got a chance to shoot the M&P 45 and was very impressed. I fed it some really light 185 grain lead reloads all the way to 230 grain hardball and it ran like a champ. Accuracy was good as well.

It did take me a while to get used to the trigger but ergonomically the gun felt good. Better than a Glock in my opinion and didn't feel like a "plastic" gun.

TAZ
06-26-08, 09:29

I put about 4K rounds through my G21SF before getting rid of it. It was a nice gun that fit my hand OK and that is saying a lot for Glock as none ever feel good to me. I now have a MP45 and a 9. For me the ergonomics of the MP are a gazillion times better than the Glock. The gun points well and is very controllable. Both MP that I own have been 100% reliable out of the box. The 45 still has the factory trigger while the 9 has a Burwell carry jobber on it. Both the Glock and MP are good guns try to rent or borrow them before spending cash. About the only thing more ergonomics for me is the HK45, but my wife thinks it feels like crap in her hand and preffers the MP45 so YMMV.

variablebinary
07-12-08, 03:00
Thank you for your feedback everyone.

I brought this baby home today.

Next question; where can I get a M&P45 threaded barrel?

http://home.comcast.net/~firearmspics/M&P45.jpg

exitinyourhead
07-12-08, 08:25
I saw grant of g&r tactical posting some threaded ones for the m&p's. I know I saw 9's and .40's. He might have .45's as well. He does a lot with the m&p's.

ToddG
07-12-08, 08:39
Threaded barrels for the M&P45 exist, as Smith has demonstrated them with suppressors. I'm not sure whether any are commercially available yet, but between S&W and Storm Lake it should not be a long wait.