PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on the Hornady Single Stage press?

opngrnd
11-24-14, 20:22
I thinking of picking up a better single stage press. I've been using a Lee Reloader (yes, the open "C" frame") since I started loading in 2011. The Lee press does not cam over, is not always consistent when seating bullets or bumping shoulders, and honestly doesn't have much leverage. But it got me this far, o I can't complain.

The LGS has RCBS Reloader Special-5 and a Hornady Classic Single Stage priced within $5 of each other. My gut is just to go with the Hornady, as it's cast, not aluminum, and the longer handle may come in handy when sizing occasional 30-06 brass. I'm sure I could get a shorter handle if I'd like. But I'm a little leery of the quick change bushing system. Has anyone had issues with it, particularly concerning COAL consistency or the dies popping out?

Any shared experience with either of these presses would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

markm
11-25-14, 06:38
The Hornady single stage is a light duty press. I wore mine out. The press shaft now has all kinds of play in it within the press body. I use my single stage to decap and size every round I make for two shooters. I run the piss out of my single. So a Hornady might be fine for a lower volume loader. (I replaced mine with a Big Boss 2... Cast iron, bigger main shaft, etc.)

The LNL conversion is priceless. It works great. I use it every day in my Big Boss 2 press.

pinzgauer
11-25-14, 06:47
Spend a bit more and get a Forster-Bonanza co-ax... Will last a life time, and once you use one you'll never go back to a c or o frame.

Sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics

Airhasz
11-25-14, 06:53
I run Hornady single stage. Easily over 20K loaded and only problem is one of my quick change bushings pops out occasionally when used on a sizing die. So I use that busing on a die to bell pistol brass and it works fine. I'm sure Hornady will give me a new bushing with a phone call, their customer service has been 100% in my experience...but I'd just buy a Dillon if I was in the market for a replacement press.

markm
11-25-14, 07:36
My sizing dies stay in place great. It's my low torque/load dies like my decapper that will sometimes move around. That said.. I've had no issue with using the LNL conversion to make any of my ammo, and it's worth the quick change all day long.

I think the carbon filth from decapping God knows how many tens of thousands of pieces of brass is what wore out my press. The abrasiveness of the carbon combined with the aluminum frame weren't good. Other presses shoot the spent primers straight down the main shaft and run cleaner.

nova3930
11-25-14, 10:18
Spend a bit more and get a Forster-Bonanza co-ax... Will last a life time, and once you use one you'll never go back to a c or o frame.

Sent from my PRC-104 using phonetics

I like the looks of that press but dang, I don't know if I could ever justify $300 on a single stage press. A Hornady progressive isn't but $400. What exactly makes that Forster worth the coin?

markm
11-25-14, 10:55
It has two press shafts that hold everything in good alignment, and a cool quick change die system. I'd love to try one some day.

pinzgauer
11-25-14, 11:22
What exactly makes that Forster worth the coin?

I said the same for many years. Then I used one, and "got it". Mine is about 35 years old, used it for competitive IHMSA in the 80's. And some IPSC. Plus my regular hunting and fun shooting.

Only thing I have replaced was the shell holder plate as it wore enough to be noticeable.

Differences:

-The way the shellholder deck is supported and moves to the die allows virtually no lateral movement or torque

- the die free floats and aligns laterally with the case/shellholder.

- cam effect changes the timing of the torque. Hard to explain, but easy to feel.

- shell holder opens/closes and automatically adjusts. (Fantastic for all but 223 sized cases... Works for this as we'll, but you have to flip the jaws.)

- just the level of precision & lack of slop. Without side loads the tolerances can be much tighter.

Not trying to sell you, just there is a difference

Nits:

- expensive. But its an heirloom. I have full confidence it will be reloading (if allowed) 50 years from now.

- primer is a pain, use upgraded autoprime hand primer instead

- switching between large and small base cases takes a few minutes. But I rarely reload 223, and everything else just works with no changes reqd.

- did I mention they have become expensive? ☺

Best of both worlds: progressive for 223 & auto pistols. Coax for all else.

I can reload a batch of 100 .45 or 10mm about as fast most folks can get a progressive dialed in. So if you tend to shoot 50-100 of several calibers there is little speed advantage to the progressive.

But I do not reload my high volume stuff (5.56, 9mm, etc). YMMV

nova3930
11-25-14, 11:25
Based on your description I'd like to try one. Still don't know if it would be worth 2-3X what other single stage presses go for but I'd give it a shot to see.

pinzgauer
11-25-14, 12:22
Based on your description I'd like to try one. Still don't know if it would be worth 2-3X what other single stage presses go for but I'd give it a shot to see.

I see it as a good upgrade for experienced reloaders. If you don't have a good scale, powder throw with vernier adjustment, etc... I'd address those first.

I like the Hornady kit lately and like the way their presses are made as well. But many good options for a basic single stage.

opngrnd
11-25-14, 13:37
I replaced mine with a Big Boss 2... Cast iron, bigger main shaft, etc.

I was initially thinking about the Redding equipment, but I was going to stay cheap this time and buy a Redding later. From the sound of it, I may as well just go with the Big Boss 2, or potentially better yet, the T-7. I've been interested in the T-7, and if not the T-7, the Big Boss 2, since I toured the Sierra bullet factory last spring and saw the bench of T-7 presses they use in the basement range for all their load testing. They were very happy with them, and looking at the results they were having, rightfully so. (If any of you are ever crossing through MO, consider stopping there, and if you have time, Starline Brass next door. I was almost embarrassed with how well I was treated. Either place was willing to stand there and talk for as long as I had questions.)

I appreciate the feedback. Other than hunting ammo, my single stage use is largely becoming just the step before the progressive, or I might think about the Co-Ax.

markm
11-25-14, 13:46
I was initially thinking about the Redding equipment, but I was going to stay cheap this time and buy a Redding later. From the sound of it, I may as well just go with the Big Boss 2, or potentially better yet, the T-7.

You can certainly get away with a Hornady LNL single if it's a temporary press. I'm telling you... I ran the living crap out of mine. My press got more wear in a few years than most get in a lifetime. I bet I decapped 3 five gal buckets of .223 brass... And that's just a slice of the hell I put it through.

opngrnd
11-25-14, 14:24
I bet I decapped 3 five gal buckets of .223 brass... And that's just a slice of the hell I put it through.

Holy smokes! That's a LOT of brass...How many 223 empties fit in a 5 gallon bucket? 5,000?

I understand where you're coming from on press wear. My lesser quality Lee has some play in it now after only 10,000 or so... I shot 4500 rounds or so this year over a partial shooting season through my pistols and an AR, and I didn't even get to go to any classes or courses. I expect to double that most years going forward. By getting the progressive online I'll speed the loading, as well as picking up a Giraud trimmer next fall. Trimming this year wasn't the most fun I've ever had...
I may still end up going cheap for now, esp if I run across more deals like $140 for a jug of XBR.

markm
11-25-14, 16:20
Holy smokes! That's a LOT of brass...How many 223 empties fit in a 5 gallon bucket? 5,000?

I'm not sure. I may try and calculate it.

jstone
11-25-14, 23:51
If you want a single stage the 3 best are co-ax, big boss 2, and rock chucker in order. Don't waste your time on the t7. The t7 is a good press, but it's almost 300 dollars. For that price you might as well step up to a 550.

williejc
12-20-14, 00:50
If you select the coax, you will own the best single stage press that money can buy.

Paradis1142
01-09-15, 06:23
For a single stage I would get a Rock Chucker